Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet

I am almost ready to start my carpet replacement project. i have a question about the "corner cut" on the lids. I found this diagram on the board, and tried it with a piece of paper on a corner of a table.

Here's my question: Are you suppose to cut out a wedge of carpeting so there is no "carpet over carpet on the corners"? I am assuming this is the case, but I would like some clarification from the carpet experts.

Thanks

2. Member

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (Fat Basser)

Yep, you got it.

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (Fishinjunky)

Ok..Thanks.

4. Member

Basically, with the offset cuts, you are getting the seam away from the corner of the lid. You don't want the seem right on the very corner, as it will catch easier and most likely open up in time.

Modified \'92 Procraft 170 Combo/\'97 Johnson 130<U></U>

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (ProcraftMike)

Gottcha...Thanks. Another question...The rear lids (2 livewell and 2 storage on the back deck) have rounded fronts, not square. Should I use the same type of cut. I am having some nicks fixed and my trailer re-painetd, so it's in the shop right now. i should have it back this weekend and I figured I would pull a lid off and try and figure out how it was done from the factory.

6. Member

That's a tough one. If it is a more gradual radius, it might be possible to carpet the radius without having to make any cuts. Otherwise, if it wants to bunch up on you and not lay flat, you will probably have to make a series of cuts to get rid of the slack material. The cuts probably wont have to be as severe as the diagram, as you are not dealing with a corner.

Like you mentioned, try to take the old carpet off first to see how they wrapped it.

On the radius, you may need to make 3 (+/-) narrower cutouts spaced around the radius. More "pie shaped" cutouts.

EDIT Whoops..just what Mike said.

8. Member

I reversed engineered my corners from what the procraft factory did.

Their cuts were at a 45 degree off the corners and the piece in the middle was used as a corner wrap. Placed on top of the folded large section of carpet.

Seem to have worked for them, as it did with me.

From your diagram. Instead of off angle cuts, the pc folks made them at 45's, and did not connect them, leaving a sort of a triangle hanging on the corner, it is the triangle piece that is clued into place after the rest of the lids carpet is affixed.

9. Member

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (raintree)

This is exactly the cuts I used on my Procraft when I re carpeted it, using the triangle piece for the corners . I have a diagram of these cuts, but it is a hard copy only.

The carpet job was 3-4 years ago and the corners are holding up just fine.

Mike...would appreciate it if you could email or post the pic of the cuts.

Thanks

11. Member

I found the old scan that I did. It is small (not sure how to make it larger), but you can get the general idea on the cuts needed here. The main thing to remember is to not make the cuts all the way to the edge of the lid. Leave it back about 3/8" of an inch or so, so the cut mark is not near the lid top, once installed. The carpet backing will stretch to allow for it to wrap just fine. Also, make the cuts so they do not line up with the sides of the lid. Keep them back from the corners a bit. These are the same cuts I used on my carpet lids 3 season ago and they are holding up just fine. You may need to experiment a little bit to get the hang of it, before you start cutting out for the lids.

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:33 PM 11/16/2007

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:36 PM 11/16/2007

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:38 PM 11/16/2007

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:38 PM 11/16/2007

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:40 PM 11/16/2007

Modified by ProcraftMike at 12:41 PM 11/16/2007

12. Member

Guys, I think these plans for corner cuts are a good thought, but they are not really practical! I recently had mine re-carpeted by a local shop that does 20-30 boats a year, and when he did the lids, he simply made sure and put plenty of contact cement on both the carpet and lids, and when ready, simply pinched the carpet together right at the corner, and cut it off! No funky angles to cut! Holding up great, as the contact cement is a lot stronger than the carpet backing in the first place... Not saying that the fancy cuts won't work, I just doubt you'll see any difference in the install (other that time involved) either way...

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (fishinbrad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishinbrad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys, I think these plans for corner cuts are a good thought, but they are not really practical! I recently had mine re-carpeted by a local shop that does 20-30 boats a year, and when he did the lids, he simply made sure and put plenty of contact cement on both the carpet and lids, and when ready, simply pinched the carpet together right at the corner, and cut it off! No funky angles to cut! Holding up great, as the contact cement is a lot stronger than the carpet backing in the first place... Not saying that the fancy cuts won't work, I just doubt you'll see any difference in the install (other that time involved) either way...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Just cut 90 degree angles off of each corner and glued it down. Works great and still looks great.
    God bless,
    Stephen

14. Member

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (TexCaboCat)

It may work with keeping the seam on the edge, but why chance it? It takes very little time to cut the carpet so the seam is not on the corner. Why take the chance, if there is a better way to do it. I doubt that the factory keeps the seams on the corners of the lid and there is a good reason for it.

The front corners of the lids get more abuse than the other edges.

15. Member

he problem with having an exposed cut directly on the corner is that it is the very corner that receives the greatest wear. Having them exposed will cause more fraying at the corners.

Like PCM's, my cuts were were more severe, but not a full 45Deg. Probably 15 or such. But they allowed a good full wrap of the corner when pulled over an attached.

I used contact cement for my entire boat. Liberally clamped all hatches and such till dry. I've got one corner on one lid that seems to be coming lose. Did the job in spring of 03.

16. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProcraftMike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt that the factory keeps the seams on the corners of the lid and there is a good reason for it.

The front corners of the lids get more abuse than the other edges. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, Ranger does leave the seas at the corners... And as far as receiving more wear - I doubt it... They are actually not touching the corresponding edges, as the sides are. And like I said before, the contact cement is plenty strong (and stronger than the carpet itself) to keep the corners in good shape... Do what you want, I just found that it is easier and looks better to just keep the seams on the corners.

Re: Question About corner cuts when replacing carpet (fishinbrad)

I actually was able to make a cut that allowed me to cover the entire corner. I used contact cement and it worked out great.