Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: False River reports (cjdauth)

I say that removing the slot caused the big fish to disappear. During the slot I could catch 20 or 30 keepers a night every night. And break off a min of once a night on a serious fish.
    The LDWF dropped the slot in the middle of the pre spawn.. I scout for tourney's sometimes during the week and would see 20 to 30 boats a night taking what they could and then some.
    People griped and said that the river held no more fish but these same people didn't realize the fish were still there, they had to change techniques IE deeper water and not beat the bank like they had in the past. I fished pro ams, Kiwana's, Valero tournaments and all I ever heard was people complaining because they had to release fish...I think more than the LDWF surveys, the pressure from the "corn mealers" eventually won out and now we have a much tougher place to fish with much less big ones and no more brood stock to generate the baby's needed to replenish the corn mealers devestation.
    Don't get me wrong I keep a few to eat every now and then but the devastation I saw was a bit much.. People loading Freezers I mean come on...
    Sorry for rambling but it really torqued me to see the LDWF take what took 4 to 5 years to grow and torch it in one stupid move... You think they would have learned after they smoked all the grass.

Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

2. Member

Re: False River reports (captainrab)

It did have a major impact no doubt Clint, but I can say that it was no problem at all to still go out and catch a 6 pound fish up until the week the virus hit hard. Between the wife and I, we caught somewhere upwards of 40 fish over 5 pounds that year...once the virus hit (like immediately that week), the first 5 pound fish I caught was this year. We caught 4 that were over that, with the biggest being just a tad over 7. Up until this year, the biggest I had on a tourney (which is pretty much the only days I fish the river anymore during that time of year) was 4.73 caught last year on the first Friday night tournament.

Now, I did see several over 6 in the TAFTs when I ran them over the past few years, but not near the frequency as we did before the virus hit.....

I think it was definitely a combination of the two, but man, if you had seen the numbers of BIG fish dead that week......The last time I saw that many bass dead was right after hurricane Andrew in the Spillway....

3. Member

Held club tournament out of the public landing on Jan 15th. 15 boats weighed in 8 limits. 1st place was 17-9lbs. 2nd was 13.11lbs. and 3rd was 13.3lbs. I hadd five fish weighing 10.14, but cold not get two 14 1/2 inch fish out of the livewell all day. Overall it was a good day on the water.

100% Registered Coon-ass

4. Member

Yeah, False River club, but I am going to fish with Livonia also. The one thing I like about False River Club is we go up north a good bit and those lake are to pretty not to fish. We have 10 tournaments this year not counting the classic, so it keeps you busy until hunting season gets here again.

100% Registered Coon-ass

5. Member

Slow fishing for me last night. Only caught 3 fish in ~ 6 hrs. One nice 3lb+ and the other 2 were knotheads.

Around 10 PM, the fog rolled in and it was unbelievable. I ended up having to use my GPS to cross back across the river. You couldn't see a thing.

6. Member

Re: False River reports (Cajun Skeeter)

Cajun, do you find the fishing is better at night, even in the winter time?

One of these days, I'm gonna night fish false river...

What kind of lures do you use? I hear of black worms and dark spinnerbaits alot...

7. Member

Re: False River reports (ppcpilot)

I "think" that the fishing is better at night but it's hard to say. I almost never try daytime anymore! The first few trips I made to False River were during the day and I couldn't handle all the jet skis and boats throwing me into the piers. I eventually started fishing some of the Friday night cookie jars and just got hooked on it. It's fantastic to be out there in summer fishing in 75 deg temps instead of the 95 and sunny daytime temps. Bugs are not much trouble either, only for a hour or two around dark in the summer. Winter nights have no boat traffic and fishing can be pretty decent (or slow like Friday night was...can't really figure out why?). The cool temps aren't bad either if you go when the wind isn't blowing.

I've almost exclusively gone to plastic worms. I am really getting into simplicity lately. I used to always have 6 rods out and now I generally only pull out 2. I occasionally try a crankbait but you really need to talk to Chad about those.

8. Member

Cajun, I was out there last Friday night and man was it foggy. We picked up at 12:00 and put in at LA express. Were you fishing by yourself? Had a mini tournament with Vosburg and Plunket. Caught a 5.2 on the 3rd cast then scratched the fifth weigher @ 11:00 and culled 2 more for a 13.4lb bag on 5.
    Hoping to go again either Friday or Saturday night.

Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

9. Member

Yep, I was alone in my Skeeter. Was that you in the Bumblebee by any chance?

I saw the Bee take off towards New Roads and 15 min later the fog rolled in heavy. I was hoping that whoever was in the Bee had launched on that end of the lake instead of the south end like me. It would have been a long ride up the lake in that fog. I headed back towards the landing once I saw the fog and hung around there until I left. I honestly had to use my GPS to cross the lake from side to side.

10. Member

Cajun, I was on the bow of the Bumblebee running the TM. Its my tournament buddies boat but he always wants me to run the TM. We managed to get back to the other end before the fog got really bad. Stopped near Bonaventure's and fished our way back to the landing. I'll be out there this Friday in my Ranger. It's a tan and blue 185Vs with a 150 Yamaha.. I'll probably put in at the public landing though.
    The fog didn't help locating the LA express landing as they don't have any lights to help locate it.
    Hope to see you there!!!!
    Good Luck Fishing <)>< <)><
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

11. Member

There was something else strange about that fog. I was over near Bonaventures and heard you guys come down the lake and stop. I could hear you guys talking like you were 100-200 ft away but Im pretty sure that you guys were all the way on the other side of the lake. The fog was having some sort of oddball effect on the audio.

I cranked up and left right after you guys. Pretty crummy fishing night for me.

13+ lbs....you da man!

Do one of you guys go to GSBC?

12. Member

I notice the same thing. Pretty scary when you hear what sounds like someone headed your way and they are on the other side of the river. Went last night and it was horrible. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug. Well last night I was the bug. I caught 2 fish all night a 4.1 and a 4.3 from 7:00 till 12:00. The water is so muddy it looks like your fishing in the intracoastal. I noticed during the winter it was muddier than I have ever seen it...Maybe it's the beginning of the end for False River.. Regardless I'll be back
    Oh and my partner Mark Watson goes to GSBC. Do you know him?
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

13. Member

I sort of know Mark. I go to GSBC and recognize his face and name but we've never really talked. I thought that might of been him.

It's amazing how the fishing can vary in the lake from trip to trip. I've never really understood how they will turn on and off without some major influence such as a tide. I occasionally have pretty good nights but I'm not very consistent. Even on a "good" night I will generally have a 3hr stretch where I don't catch a fish. I think that the fact I can't figure it out keeps me going back for more.

14. Member

Just an FYi for those interested......the friday night tournaments will be held out of LA Express this year....Tueday night tournaments will be held out of the public landing in New Roads...I suspect they will get fed up with having it there as I did a few years ago and move it back down next year, but that remains to be seen.

I went over to LA Express this morning to see how the pier building is going...talked with Andy a while (owner) about what he is doing....they have a couple really nice new piers there that should get us by this year...he has secured lots more parking, so no worries on not being able to park. They were digging out the area around the piers today so it wouldn't be too shallow to tie up your boat. he is building a 20X30 covered slab right next to the water there to do weigh ins, get out of the weather, etc....he is going to pipe in a drain for dumping fish out in a basket, etc....should be really good facilities...

15. Member

BTW guys, I cleaned up the reports a little bit...sorry if I offended anyone for deleting some of the old posts...no problem on discussions back and forth,...I'll leave them up a while, and once that discussin has ended on a particular lake's reports, I will clean it up to just leave the stuff pertinent to reports....just will make it easier in a year to look up a certain time of year and find reports for that lake or whatever and the reports for it without having to search through conversations...

Again, no problem with discussions about stuff not related to fishing reports....but after time, we clean them up to make it easier later...

16. Member

You finally caught on...I've been waiting for you to figure it out

I thought I was going to have to tell you I bought some BBS from you.

17. Member

Well, wasn't really paying attention...been deer season and all...haven't got fishing on the brain yet....

18. Member

CJ got any pictures of that hawg the Vosburg's weighed in yesterday?

19. Member

Re: False River reports (CaneinBatonRouge)

Nope...10.27...not a bad fish by any means....but maybe even more impressive was the 18 pounds they had with the 4 other fish....

Second place was 18 pounds which is pretty good too....

20. Member

Re: False River reports (Chad)

Well it's a good think Chad wasn't there or they would have been in 2nd place with 28.27lbs... That would have been brutal.

Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast