Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here

Please post you reports for Cave Run Lake in this thread

2. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

8-10 degree surface temp drop within a week!! Cannot believe this happened within just a weeks time.

Well we accidentally slept in Saturday morning so we did not get on the water until 7:30. We headed up into the creeks and so did everyone else, it was a madhouse up in there. From what I could tell no one was catching and we had about the same luck.

It was 68degrees back in the creeks so we decided to give trolling a try running mid and deep diving crankbaits. Worked the channel coming out of the creeks and caught a 17" White bass on a Bill Dance White Shad DD crankbait and a smallmouth out on the main lake.

Water was really murky back in the creeks and even dark up until Big and Little point where it was almost crystal clear.

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

3. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (fishingmarlin)

Ended up back at Cave Run this weekend. Water temps in the morning where 60 in the creeks and 70 on the flats. Heard a few people hooked into a muskie or two should be getting better with temps dropping.

It was pretty windy Saturday and Sunday and caught a couple of small fish working the main channels back in the creeks concentrating on stickups on main channel. Floating jerk bait seemed to be the bait of choice.

Sunday had motor issues and could not find DFI oil so I did not get to do anything.

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

4. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (fishingmarlin)

Caught about 50 crappie down around Poppin Rock on Saturday with a few over 16"'s. Just thought I would let ya know there hittin.

5. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (TR 196 KY)

I'll be down at Cave Run with a bunch of old high school buddies,next Wednesday thru Sunday. Anybody catching any?

6. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (JackOH)

I have heard that the bass are shallow along with the crappie. Musky should be doing well also. Probably a good trip if the weather does not interfere.

7. Member

Bass fishing on Cave Run is very slow. We had a tournament there Saturday. Midwest Sportsman.

A little over 11#'s won the tournament, but second place dropped down to 7 and then less from there. Over 50 boats participate in the Midwest Division on the Big C. For the last three years, in my opinion, the lake has been on a steady decline for bass fishing. And I do not see anything changing this year.

8. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (rsmoberly)

Today we had a little club tournament and I won with one over and 4 under fish. Had a blast. Caught on my favorite pattern. I do believe there are spawning and post spawn fish.

9. Member

Congrats on the win.

10. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (Sticks11)

I spent Thursday thru Sunday at Cave Run, fished with friends that totaled 10 people and 5 boats. Nobody caught a bass over the slot limit! We all caught a lot of very small bass, with a few in the slot. Looked like they were on beds. A few nice crappie were caught. Overall, a very slow fishing trip.

11. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (JackOH)

This post is for fisherman who would like to know how to access the licking river.

I will have maps available in the next couple of weeks showing the GPS points to navigate the licking river too Bangor. These maps will show contours and the boat row cut.

email: rsmoberly@mccammish.com

12. Member

Hey Robert, that is an awesome offer. You da man...

I'll take one..

good of you Robert, thanks alot!!!

14. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

The maps are almost ready. The final tweaking is being done and the printer should start soon. They will be availble at several area bait stores. Backwaters, Lexington. Jim Bait and Tackle and Winchester Bait and Tackle in Winchester. I will Also make available Via phone. The price will be around 15.00

15. Member

Cave Run Lake / Licking River GPS MAPs

THE MAPS ARE READY

Availble at the retailers in the previous post, or call 859-771-2991 to get one TODAY.

Also available online at http://www.efish911.com/index3.phtml?iprod=111

Modified by rsmoberly at 7:58 AM 6/20/2006

Modified by rsmoberly at 11:19 AM 6/28/2006

16. Member

Fished the cave on labor day from 7am to 1 pm. Caught 8 fish three unders, no slots, and a bunch of pickles. Caught some on a channel swing near buck creek, caught some on main lake points across from the flats and caught some on the flats, in the shallowest part where the milfoil is the thickest. Had one blow up right at the edge of the flats on the drop on a popper that looked to be a 4+. Water temp 75 degrees. Most fish caught on topwater poppers and jigs, couple on c-rigs in the channel swings. I am throwin in the towel on the run for the year, maybe for a couple years. Its close to me but with the conditions and the patterns we were running monday, we would have caught fish on most any lake other than the cave. Think Ill just save my money for a trip to barren or ky lake and stop donating it to the cave, I refuse to run the river so I will probably never get on anything consistent up there. Also, water clarity ranged from 6-8' on main lake to 3-4' in buck creek.

Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (buzzking2001)

I agree Kyle, crap on the cave lol.

18. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (flippindrew)

Cool... . I would go to Ky/Barkley also.

19. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (buzzking2001)

You would think with your education you would know how to catch a fish. Waste of books I guess.

20. Member

Re: Cave Run Lake reports Posted Here (rickvt)

Ouch rick, that hurts! Man I can catch fish anywhere I go, dont always kill them but consistently better than CAVE RUN, dont know why, I love the way the lake is set up and fishes with all the old ponds, flats, grass, timber, its got it all, just continues to piss me off. I am originally from flemingsburg so I have spent a lot of time on the run, I guess my only chance at ever getting it right up there is to GPS a track upriver this winter once the lake gets low. Probably never will though, too much water out there that suits me better to really spend alot of time learning a lake Im not crazy about.

Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast