Need some suggestion

I'm just gonna plan on fishing the BFL Regional on Lake Ouichita in Oct. I can always cancel my reservations if I don't make the cut.

Are there any cheap places to stay close to the lake? I don't need anything fancy. I just need a clean bed and bathroom. What do yall recommend?
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

Re: Need some suggestion (utinator)

Where are yall launching from??
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

3. Member

I've stayed at Crystal Springs Resort the last time I fished Lake Ouachita. It's located in the middle of the lake on the south side so it's easy access to any part of the lake from that location. I've also stayed at Mountain Harbor, Brady Mountain Lodge and a couple other places but they are all a bit more expensive.

http://www.crystalspringsresort.com/index.htm

Re: Need some suggestion (BrownTrout)

I don't know where we are launching from. I'd have to check FLWOutdoors.com

Thanks for the suggestions BT. I'd also like suggestions on where to eat while I'm there. Fast food is alright for a meal or two, but it gets old quick. If you know of any mom & pop restaurants in the area, that would be appreciated too.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

5. Member

If it's anything like the Arkie season openers, you'll be launching from Mountain Harbor Resort. They've got rooms and a restaurant there, but the ramp can get crowded quickly in a big tourney. It's on the west end of the lake on the south shore. There's a smokehouse east on 270 from the Mountain Harbor Resort (I believe just east of Crystal Springs) where you can get some darn good sandwiches and such. Nothing fancy, but good. It's one of those country store places that sells all kinds of jellies, bread and honey. Reasonable and good eats.
    There's a hotel just across 270 from the entrance to Mountain Harbor Resort that has pretty good rates. Oh, and be careful about leaving stuff in your boat out there while attending the meeting in Hot Springs. A few years back, quite a few fellas had props stolen during the meeting. May have been a one-time thing, but one time is too many for me. Good luck with the regional.

6. Member

Just run into Hot Springs. Only 20 minutes or so away. Lots of good food there. There's a pretty good BBQ restaurant not far from Trader Bill's Marine on Hwy 270 in Hot Springs.

Re: Need some suggestion (dowhatta)

Thanks for the ideas. We are launching from Mountain Harbor Resort/Marina. I'm a co-angler, so I won't be dragging my boat along. That smokehouse sounds good. I wasn't sure how far the town was, but 20min. doesn't sound too bad. If nothing else, I'm sure I can find something in town I like. I'ts nice to have an idea of what to expect. I can't wait!
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

8. Member

heck, I almost forgot. Go to McClard's BBQ in Hot Springs and order a half-spread (tamale smothered in BBQ ?or chili? and cheese).

9. Moderator

Be SURE to try some of the beef jerky from the Smokehouse, That stuff is GOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!

Re: Need some suggestion (marty92xrd)

BBQ sounds good. I'll have to check that place out. I may get there a day early. Is there anything cool to do or see around there?
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dowhatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> There's a smokehouse east on 270 from the Mountain Harbor Resort (I believe just east of Crystal Springs) where you can get some darn good sandwiches and such. Nothing fancy, but good. It's one of those country store places that sells all kinds of jellies, bread and honey. Reasonable and good eats. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You must be talking about Burl's Smokehouse by Crystal Springs? Just go past Crystal Springs cut off about a mile down hwy 270 heading out to Mountain Harbor.
    Saw where there was another little restaurant/cafe next to the Angler Motel open again. Angler motel is at the Crystal Spring turn off. It was on FLW show last year when an angler was practicing lures in the pool at night........ nothing fancy about that place.

Re: Need some suggestion (Eyra1)

Do you know the number to those hotels? I can't find anything outside Hot Springs for less than $80 a night. I found several in Hot Springs for under $50, but I'd rather stay closer to the lake. I'll drive a little ways for good food. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a room. I appreciate the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

13. Member

Shang-Ri-La cafe... Awesome Food!

http://www.arkansas.com/places...otels/

http://www.mtidachamber.com/

Angler motel is 501-991-3334. The Mount Ida website has some other motels listed. The farther east of Mount Ida, the closer to major tournament take off ramps you will be.
    Mount Ida is home of Bassmaster Classic champ Mark Davis.........
    Hot Springs has George Cochran, Stephen Browning, Rob Kilby for a few fishermen.... Ron Shuffield is a few miles east at Bismarck on Lake DeGray.
    Trader Bill's is the place to scope out all the plastics/lures and new/used boats...a convenience store/gas station with hunting/fishing/boat store included.
    Could always drive toward Lake Hamilton side of Hot Springs...there you will find Oaklawn Park horse racing track, and the Bass Fishing Hall of Fame for nominal charges.
    Restaurants would be Rod's Pizza Cellar, McClard's BBQ, Coy's steakhouse and more national brands. Mount Ida has some cafe dining.
    Good luck and hope you have a good time there!

Modified by Eyra1 at 11:16 PM 5/23/2008

Modified by Eyra1 at 11:19 PM 5/23/2008

Re: Need some suggestion (Eyra1)

Thanks for the info! I just hope I get to go.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225