Best jig for beginner

Well I am sure I will get questioned but I am not a big jig fisherman. It is a technique that I have very little confidence in. I have made the decision to focus on this technique and need to stock up on jigs of various sizes and styles. I don't want to waste money buying cheap ones and losing fish so I need everyones opinions on the best jig brands and styles.

Thanks

2. Member
    Flatlands Custom Tackle. Joey is the best and his stuff is topnotch just look around these forums and youll see what everyone says!!!

3. Member

Re: Best jig for beginner (simtech)

You won't be sorry learning how to fish a jig. Like everything else in fishing it's all about TOTW (time on the water). There are a lot of quality jigs out there. BBC board sponsors make some of the best... and by paying these advertising fees you know they are serious about their work. I prefer Basscraft. Hey, what did you expect
    If I may make a suggestion. Start with a 1/2 oz arkey jig. I believe the heavier weight will allow you to remain in contact with the bottom/structure better in a wider variety of conditions. Once you get comfortable with the feel, experiment with other sizes. Others may disagree and that's cool.
    Also, go ahead and ante up for a good 7'6" jig rod and high speed reel. 20 lb Flouro. is good for most situations.
    Hang in there. It isn't known as a big fish bait for no reason!
    Good luck

4. Member

Re: Best jig for beginner (zx200driver)

I suggest trying a smaller profile jig like the 3/8 th poison tail jig from Lockjaw jigs. You won't miss as many smaller fish and it hooks big fish too. Its very well made, great paint, hand tied skirt and sharp strong hook, it also has a neat trailer holder. The poisn tail head is great in weeds and around wood. I promise you will love this jig and the quality. By usung the smaller profile you will catch alot more fish and you will gain confidence in the technique. Good luck.

5. Banned

Re: Best jig for beginner (simtech)

Simtech I have just what your looking for.like frank said my 3-D eye jig is a smaller profile jig with a BIG bang to it! The are made from a Mustad ultra point hook for strength long life and durability.I trim the weed guards for a sure set hook ability making hook sets a breeze and the keeper that is nice because it helps save you money on trailers at the local shops and time out on the water fixing them. Great baits at a price for a bait I am told im giving away.

I learned jig fishing about 4 or so years ago and still learn something every time out. I started using a 1/4oz 3-D eye (snootie style) jig with a chunk trailer or a twin tailed grub both worked well for me.Get with me so we can talk some more if your interested. View the web site for a few options on color but we can get you fixed up with something that will catch you fish in your area as well.
    Thanks and good luck with jig fishing its alotta fun,catches more of a quality fish and makes a day on the water alotta fun at times.

Frank

6. Member

Re: Best jig for beginner (bassfishinfrank)

I've been fishing a jig for almost 50 years. The best Big Bass lure around. Best way to learn is only fish the jig. After a few fish, it is easy to use. If my line moves in any way, I set the hook. To me, a bass feels like a leaf caught on the lure. Any change to the feel, set the hook. Guarantee you that folks like Brauer and Biffle have set the hook on thousands of "ghost" fish; so don't feel bad if you miss one. Once you have confidence, a jig rod will always be on your deck. One of the best jigs for a beginner is a 3/8 oz. poison tail with standard length strands fished in less than 8 ft.

Good Fishing!
    Flatlands Custom Tackle
    Oscar Custom Baits
    X-Factor Lures
    Crimson Creek Baits

7. Member

Re: Best jig for beginner (LOZman)

What are some good tips for fishing jigs in the grass ? In the 8 - 10 foot range. What weight ? color ? line....please dont say florocarbon.... dont trust it !!! thanks for the help !!

8. Member

Re: Best jig for beginner (Johnny D)

Cone head jigs work great in grass if you want to swim the jig. Heavy jigs (1 oz. and up) work best if you have to punch through a mat. If the mat is very thick, toss the jig up about 10-15 ft. and let it punch through the mat.

Light grass-swim jig; heavy mat-heavy jig with a trailer that won't hang up.
    Line for swim jig-20 lb. or bigger mono; heavy mat-heavy braid.

Good Fishing!
    Flatlands Custom Tackle
    Oscar Custom Baits
    X-Factor Lures
    Crimson Creek Baits