2000 Ficth DFI 2 cycle oil

Is there a difference between quicksilver 2 cycle tcw-3 rated and DFI 2 cycle oil which is $10 more per gallon.

2. Member

Re: 2000 Ficth DFI 2 cycle oil (Skirt Watcher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skirt Watcher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a difference between quicksilver 2 cycle tcw-3 rated and DFI 2 cycle oil which is $10 more per gallon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, there is a difference.

Direct injection 2-stroke outboards run much hotter crankcase temps than carbureted outboards. Therefore oils for DI outboards are formulated to work in the hotter temps.

As a technician and owner of a 2001 Ficht, I recommend using at least the Evinrude XD-50 oil in your outboard. Personally, I use the XD-100.

IMHO: I also advise against using the Quicksilver brand oil. Although its a good oil for the Merc OptiMax, I find it is too thin for the Evinrude. I've had a couple of customers fail powerheads while using the Quicksilver oil in their Ficht/DI outboard. And yes, the failures were attributed to the oil.

Hope this helps,
    -John

3. Member

Re: 2000 Ficth DFI 2 cycle oil (John from IL)

do you know if the Optimax DFI oil is OK to use in a ficht? I have been using it bc i had some leftover when I sold my mercs. It is not the regular quicksilver oil but the stuff specifically for DFI engines?

4. Member

Re: 2000 Ficth DFI 2 cycle oil (jeffro22)

To clarify my previous comments:

IMHO: I also advise against using the Quicksilver brand (including the DFI) oil. Although its a good oil for the Merc OptiMax, I find it is too <U>thin</U> for the Evinrude.

5. Member
    John are you suggesting the merc/quicksilver premium plus syn blend
    Is to thin for our Fichts? 1999 150 (no compensation motor, oil or injectors.) Not that that should matter.. However to say that their syn blend is to thin would lead me to believe that the ratio has less mineral than syn base. Which would up the cost rather than lower the cost.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    John are you suggesting the merc/quicksilver premium plus syn blend
    Is to thin for our Fichts? 1999 150 (no compensation motor, oil or injectors.) Not that that should matter.. However to say that their syn blend is to thin would lead me to believe that the ratio has less mineral than syn base. Which would up the cost rather than lower the cost.
    You do realize that this post is over 14 years old, John hasn't posted since he posted on this thread.

For what its worth my FIL used Wally World marine 2 stroke in his Ficht for ever. Never had a lube issue.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!