Thread: Bates reels

Bates reels

Any of you have one or experience with one? My dad bought me one for my birthday. He got me the new OG since it’s salt rated so I can use it inshore and here at home. I never heard of them until I got it. 5.7oz total weight and crazy smooth. Need to pick out a rod for it now and put it to work when I am in FL next week.

I've been demo'ing a Hundo. Super light reel, I'd like to see some tweaks to the centrifugal braking, but the reel is really really smooth.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | 6" Jackplate | Garmin Force @36v | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    I've been demo'ing a Hundo. Super light reel, I'd like to see some tweaks to the centrifugal braking, but the reel is really really smooth.
    Nice. What are you seeing with the braking? Also what rod do you have it on and is there a particular technique you are using it for?
    Last edited by RoadrashPaul; 05-26-2024 at 09:11 PM.

4. Moderator
    I guess these haven't been out long enough to make it into a lot of hands yet. You guys should check them out. Frame is machined from a single piece of 6061 aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I guess these haven't been out long enough to make it into a lot of hands yet. You guys should check them out. Frame is machined from a single piece of 6061 aluminum.
    They are interesting, but for me too expensive to take a chance on. Know what daiwa and shimano reels work for the things I do, and about 150-200 less. I've looked at them online, but when I can buy a reel and a rod for the price of the unknown its a hard sell.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

6. Member
    Have 4 of 'em. 2 GOATS in 7:1, Saltwater and Hundo. They are an amazing reel at that price point. The Hundo is pricey but smooth as butter once it is dialed in.

7. Member
    Where are they manufactured ?
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    I have a Hundo. I love the size and it is unbelievable smooth. The only complaint I would have is that is doesnt do well with light weight baits. I use it for Chatterbaits, Spinnerbaits and Square Bills. Solid reel, but braking could be refined some.