2000 Evinrude (OMC) Concealed mount throttle / shifter

Gents, My trim switch in the shifter handle has now failed when I want to trim up. Down works and both directions work fine on the switch on the engine and at the bow. This link shows the assembly /parts for the year 1992. Is this the same as it was in 2000. My shifter has the red plastic part that you squeeze up when shifting.
    I recall Championman providing instructions once to someone on how to take this apart. Hopefully the instructions can be provided to me.

OMC Rigging Parts & Accessories 1992 OEM Parts Diagram for Remote Control Assembly-- Concealed Side Mount - 1992 | Boats.net
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    If you don't have it , put in reverse and use a small allen (1/8 i think ) in the hole in the bottom of the shifter and unscrew the allen setscrew to remove the shifter and its easy from there to separate in two .

thanks for the reply. I'm going to need to disassemble the whole thing I believe and get it out of the gunnel so I can connect the wire from the new switch. Anyone have instructions / tips? I have the BRP service manual for my motor but it's a 2008 and I believe the throttle is different that year.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep shift to reverse loosen set screw 1/8" Allen and the handle will pull towards you. Then you can remove the facia plate and then you can remove the bolts for the control. You may need to remove the shift and throttle cable at the motor to give you enough travel.

Thanks Champ!

Champ, should the handle pull all the way off after i removed the set screw? It's not coming off all the way for me?

you guys make this sound way to easy. you didn't mention the screw at the base of the shifter thats hidden by rubber. I'm talking about the part you would push in to chock if it was a carb motor. Now I guess I need to disconnect the cables from the motor so I can pull the whole thing out a bit. Also, how do you pull the three pronged wires out of the connector piece and then put the three new ones back in. see link for what I'm talking about. Amazon.com: Johnson/Evinrude/OMC New OEM SWITCH & LEAD AY,TRIM &TILT 0586348, 586348 : Automotive

9. Member
    But it is easy. Yes the handle should pull off when the set screw is loosened / removed and the neutral button is unscrewed.

For the connector you need a small screwdriver with a little hook on the end. Pull apart the connector and you will see either a green or orange plug inside. Use a hook tool or small needle nose pliers to pull out the plug. Once removed, look at the small black tabs by each pin. Use a small screwdriver to lightly pry the tab away from the pin. As you pry the tab away then start to pull out the wire. The service manual covers this by the way for electrical connector service.

Here's a photo of the trim switch connector. I cannot figure out how to remove the green wedge lock. I don't have the special tool they write about in the manual. 0342667 Removal Tool - Evinrude & Johnson, OMC | Crowley Marine. Could use some help here. I ordered a set of connector tools from amazon and hope one of them is the right one. Anyone have this tool they can take a photo of so I can see what the hooked end they refer to looks like?
    Attached Images Attached Images

go to the top of the page, look at the third Sticky, how to get connectors apart, use a needle nose pliers to pull out wedge (green part) and a small screwdriver to release the pins

The wedge has a hard stop to it when I try to pull it out. I feel like it will break if I pull to hard, it seems like a tab in there needs to be released.

13. Member
    That little green pin pulls straight out with a needle nose pliers. Never had an issue.
    see this link. https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...d&action=click

I got the green lock out and thanks to you guys I just needed to pull a bit harder. Got the wires out and now I'm going to install the new trim switch clip and trim switch into the handle. Anyone have any tips for doing this?

I got it.
    Last edited by tdt91; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.

Well, I was trying to get the shift handle back on and didn't realize I needed to squeeze the red handle like I was shifting. I ended up breaking the lockout rod. I knew that was something I did not want to do. Just ordered a couple aftermarket ones from Ebay. Hope they work.