Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    If you put full retail value on bass fishing stuff…wouldn’t take that long to get to 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by VT 18 Rider View Post
    Tax collectors at work. TX has billions in surplus tax $$$.
    Could you explain how this works?

3. Member
    That's their job, no one is complaining about it. They are looking for violation to write tickets. Tickets=Tax

But I'm sure all the wildlife were safe while they were doing their inspections.

That's their job, no one is complaining about it. They are looking for violation to write tickets. Tickets=Tax

But I'm sure all the wildlife were safe while they were doing their inspections.

I think the people that had their gear stolen might be happy to get it back.

Hmmm…. I didn’t see anything about tickets being issued in the article.

Did you ever have anything stolen from you?

I'm glad they check, reality is all it takes is one stolen boat to get to 100K. Not sure how they could confirm anything else was stolen other than boat, motor and trailer. Guessing people buy used trailers and have no title on them. buying a used trailer can be sketchy.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

It would be nice for a buyer to be able to run a serial # before unknowingly buying stolen property, but I believe only law enforcement can do that. You buy used, you take your chances. Whoever is in possession of stolen property loses it, even if you had no idea it was stolen. The thief and all other previous owners remain anonymous and go on about their business.

8. Member
    Doesn't bother me that they were doing inspections. I'm all legal.

yes I have had things stolen. Boathouse next to mine at Fork was broke into last week. It happens.

So how many arrest were made for all that "stolen" gear?

9. Member
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

10. Member
    When I read $100 grand of stolen stuff discovered out of 300 boats, 243 motors and 100 trailers checked, I just thought it wouldn't take much to get to that number if they are measuring it by retail price.

I'm guessing it wasn't boats, but some engines and trailers that were found to be stolen. It's a tournament, don't you have to show proof of insurance on the boat? If so, that would probably mean when you want to insure it you'd find out you bought a stolen boat. And since most people I know of buy a boat with a trailer, that narrows it down to outboards. That seems to me to be the most likely item, since you can steal a boat and destroy it and resell the outboard somewhere where no state is licensing or titling the outboard.

Just guessing. But even then, I don't think it would have been like a huge amount of anything discovered to get to that number.

11. Member
    In Texas you have to title the motor. So likely someone doesn't have the proper paper work.

Don't think there was a big Bass boat thief ring being busted. Again, just a tax revenue collection. People didn't pay up front to title motor (tax). Now they are criminals on BBC.

12. Member
    Now we know where all the contents of the empty Ali Express Livescopes boxes went to.

In Texas you have to title the motor. So likely someone doesn't have the proper paper work.

Don't think there was a big Bass boat thief ring being busted. Again, just a tax revenue collection. People didn't pay up front to title motor (tax). Now they are criminals on BBC.
    You’re thinking that these tournament fishermen bough a motor from someone, failed to re-title the motor, and then the seller reported the motor stolen?

Later, the wardens came to this parking lot in a scheme to issue tickets to generate revenue?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You’re thinking that these tournament fishermen bough a motor from someone, failed to re-title the motor, and then the seller reported the motor stolen?

Later, the wardens came to this parking lot in a scheme to issue tickets to generate revenue?
    No just a bunch of thieves fishing bass tournaments in Texas that's all.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    It would be nice for a buyer to be able to run a serial # before unknowingly buying stolen property, but I believe only law enforcement can do that. You buy used, you take your chances. Whoever is in possession of stolen property loses it, even if you had no idea it was stolen. The thief and all other previous owners remain anonymous and go on about their business.
    IF you suspect it's stolen I would ask for ID. I have bought items that I requested name and drivers license number to protect myself.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

No just a bunch of thieves fishing bass tournaments in Texas that's all.
    I don’t know about that, but it does sound like a number of tournament fishermen in Texas were in possession of stolen property.

Even if he shows you his ID, if you buy a stolen item from him, and you possess it when it's discovered, you have to surrender the item, then it's going to be up to you to go after him. Good luck with that. Police aren't likely to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    IF you suspect it's stolen I would ask for ID. I have bought items that I requested name and drivers license number to protect myself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234