Humminbird helix 12

I have had several issues with new skeeter components. I changed out y- cable, sent one helix back and changed out 5 port ethernet. I am getting close! My question is, can a bad in hull ducer not only affect bad depth readings, it will work intermittently then flash 800 or 1000 ft ot nothing but also mess with DI sometimes? I have 2 helix 12s on console. Latest update. My graph on roller is fine. Been a long 6 weeks ! Thanks

Yes, 2D sets the depth range for Down Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thank you

4. Member
    I can't read tag. What ducer for 2 helix 12s? Thank you Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by btown View Post
    I can't read tag. What ducer for 2 helix 12s? Thank you Wayne
    There are 14 different Helix 12's, which ones do you have?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Helix 12 chirp mega si newest one. I just bought them g4n

The standard transducer for the transom is XM 9 HW MSI T.
    The shoot-thru 2D transducer is XP 9 HW.
    The Y cable is 9 M SIDB Y.

There are some things to check before getting more parts.
    1. Only connect the shoot-thru you have to one of the displays and test on the water.
    2. Only connect the Side Imaging transducer to one of the displays and test on the water.
    3. If both work, attach the Y cable and make sure you fully connect the transducer plugs to the Y cable so they lock together. Inside the Y cable plugs are two tabs that lock into the two holes in the transducer plug==look at them.
    Once they are locked together it is very difficult to separate them.

If the shoot-thru doesn't work correctly by itself, when you get another one, connect it to one of the units and test on the water BEFORE you begin the install process. You should verify the transducer functions correctly FIRST.
    Then do the proper testing on the water with the transducer placed inside the hull with some water as described in post #2 here: Installation & Networking Information Resource (bbcboards.net)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Thank you, I had Hennessey add the harness and rewire from the Skeeter mess. I have had 2 units back at skeeter, the old 5 port wouldn't work after updates. 8 week old boat and I just can't get my graphs working. Hopefully this will work. Hennessey also changed out the y cables.

9. Member
    Make skeeter fix it! I fought skeeter for a year on my boat. The 2d shoot thru would not work. I would document everything. My boat went back to skeeter twice. No matter who said what, my story was due to the fiberglass in the hull. Even tho they confirmed it, they wouldn't fix it. They just didn't want to pucker up for a new fx hull. I ended up installing a external 2d transducer and haven't had a problem since. Good luck!

10. Member
    What was wrong with fiberglass in the hull?

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btown View Post
    Thank you, I had Hennessey add the harness and rewire from the Skeeter mess. I have had 2 units back at skeeter, the old 5 port wouldn't work after updates. 8 week old boat and I just can't get my graphs working. Hopefully this will work. Hennessey also changed out the y cables.
    Hennessey does an excellent job and their techs know how to do it right. They should be able to get you squared away.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Member
    Glue a Stern Saver to the transom and screw a skimmer to it.

Shoot through transducers are a problem asking for a place to happen.

I really don't understand all these problems with the HB installations. They are simple to wire. HB instructions are excellent. It's 12v DC power. Nothing complicated.

We've done three for friends in our little shop, plus I've done mine twice, just moving things. Follow the instructions. Make good power connections. Plug them in. Turn them on. They just work. I don't use shoot through transducers.

13. Member
    Yes they are a great group. Just had some bugs to work out that was out of their control .

14. Member
    Skeeter mess? Humminbird mess? User mess?

Other than the shoot through, it's plug and play.

I hear of some problems with the 5 - port. I have had none.

15. Member
    While I can tear up a steel anvil according to my old man this was not user error. The main issue with the skeeter was a bad wiring harness and butt splices. Humminbird, I had a bad mdi unit on the deck and initially a bad SI ducer on the backplate. Then the y cable got me to the point of having at least a good Side image but the intermident bottom lose did throw me for a loop. I am so close to it being perfect it did get the best of me. I do believe once my in hull comes in and I take the steps Wayne outlined it will behind me. Or adding the skimmer if I have to. I always appreciate the help on here. It has really been a blessing over the years. I did forget. I had to swap out a new unit at Hennessey on the console. Processor issue.