Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Interesting Article about kids picking schools in the south over Ivy League

2. Member
    id take a GaTech engineer, auburn engineer, souther poly engineer, ClemPson engineer any day over MIT or ivy league

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    id take a GaTech engineer, auburn engineer, souther poly engineer, ClemPson engineer any day over MIT or ivy league
    I'm with you on that. To me getting someone with work ethic and values is just as important as their education.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I'm with you on that. To me getting someone with work ethic and values is just as important as their education.
    How did you determine that?

5. Member
    Personally, I wish kids would start looking harder at trade schools over college. Most college degrees, with the exception of something like engineering or masters degree, are pretty much worthless. Why run up $200,000 in debt for a history degree when you can learn a trade and get paid to learn it? Then, after you've got your journeyman's license (or equivalent), start making some real bank.

6. Member
    Didn't read the article but is the antisemitism stemming from the faculty base or the student body? Why are the schools not doing something about it?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slopfishin View Post
    Personally, I wish kids would start looking harder at trade schools over college. Most college degrees, with the exception of something like engineering or masters degree, are pretty much worthless. Why run up $200,000 in debt for a history degree when you can learn a trade and get paid to learn it? Then, after you've got your journeyman's license (or equivalent), start making some real bank.
    Maybe they are adverse to doing manual labor for whatever reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Didn't read the article but is the antisemitism stemming from the faculty base or the student body? Why are the schools not doing something about it?
    I do a lot of work with EDUs and with high capacity engineering folks...... the smarter they are the wackier the are....... but I will say thank god for our military that these wackos can and do develop some pretty bad ass weapon systems..... be thankful for those MIT dysfunctional. The highest concentration of Asperger people is the MIT campus.

9. Member
    $200,000 in student debt is nothing now. I saw on the news last night, a reporter interviewing a guy who accumulated over $250,000 in student loans. Had graduated with a Maters in music, but could not find a job making any money....or so he says. Was not paying on the loans, accumulating interest. Uncle Joe pays off his loans...and this guy says it is a dream come true. He is now about to travel to India, "to study" there for a while. evidently , he found some travel money.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    How did you determine that?
    By working with people from Ivy League law schools who thought they knew everything and didn't want to do the work the other associates were doing. I'm not saying it is all of them but it was enough that we decided to also look for people from other places that were motivated and happy to get a job. It is also funny because another lawyer I work with a lot said he was on the other side of a deal with a young lawyer that went to Harvard. The guy had over 30 years experience but the younger lawyer wouldn't listen to him and made the entire transaction much more difficult and expensive than it needed to be. If I could tell younger law students one thing it is that they know almost nothing about practicing law when they graduate and it will take them at least 5 years or more to be competent regardless of where they went to school.

11. Member
    They have a great chance of finding work in the south.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    That was part of it and the Covid lockdowns were also part of it. I think given where tuition is at the Ivies that is probably another factor as parents may question paying that especially if their kids have scholarship opportunities somewhere else. And a big factor they didn't mention in the article was probably the weather.

13. Member
    By working with people from Ivy League law schools who thought they knew everything and didn't want to do the work the other associates were doing. I'm not saying it is all of them but it was enough that we decided to also look for people from other places that were motivated and happy to get a job. It is also funny because another lawyer I work with a lot said he was on the other side of a deal with a young lawyer that went to Harvard. The guy had over 30 years experience but the younger lawyer wouldn't listen to him and made the entire transaction much more difficult and expensive than it needed to be. If I could tell younger law students one thing it is that they know almost nothing about practicing law when they graduate and it will take them at least 5 years or more to be competent regardless of where they went to school.

Lack of humility seems more like a generational issue vs where they went to school

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    They have a great chance of finding work in the south.
    Greenville SC seems to have a lot of opportunities and there are a lot of large companies (BMW, Boeing, etc) located in the South. Also it is nice if you can get a job at a large company and have a place where it is more affordable.

15. Member
    My thoughts as well. The university’s have raised the price Waaaay out of hand. Because the federal government got into the student loan business

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camman View Post
    Lack of humility seems more like a generational issue vs where they went to school
    This was over 15 years ago and we did not see the same attitudes with the other associates we hired. Not making a blanket statement about all Ivy grads but that was our experience.

17. Member
    Greenville SC seems to have a lot of opportunities and there are a lot of large companies (BMW, Boeing, etc) located in the South. Also it is nice if you can get a job at a large company and have a place where it is more affordable.
    But are they union jobs?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    But are they union jobs?
    I don't think so but I don't keep track of that.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    But are they union jobs?
    Apparently in TN at VW now!

20. Member
    I’ll take a Service Academy grad in a heartbeat over a lot of Ivy League grads I’ve met. I am partial to USAFA though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast