Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod Slleeve Post

I got to thinking I do like to store my rods in them. Why do some of y'all like neoprene over the mesh?

Just a much better quality product. I don’t see much, if any protection value in those mesh socks. I guess they’re ok for keeping lines from tangling.

3. Member
    More resistant to hooks snagging in them and provides more protection to the rods when they are all in the box together.

4. Member
    I tried the neoprene and dislike them. They are harder to slide into the rod tubes and also harder to slide onto the rods.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Can't stand the mesh ones, especially near any treble hooks.
    2B576211

I prefer the mesh. I have the type with the cuffs so I rarely get hooks tangled.

I can make a bunch of the mesh ones for just a few dollars, custom lengths, colors, etc.AS far as hooks getting tangled, hook your baits under the reel. I rarely have an issue and that is with 20+ rods in the box.

2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

8. Member
    I use the mesh socks but cover the hooks with these covers. I make my own rod socks (really easy) so the length is exactly what Ibwant. IMG_0479.jpeg

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Just a much better quality product. I don’t see much, if any protection value in those mesh socks. I guess they’re ok for keeping lines from tangling.
    I couldn’t imagine trying to get my rods in the tube without my mesh socks on them, I prefer the mesh ones bc they’re really slick and the rod goes in them easy and they go in the rod hole easy as well.

10. Member
    I have at least 20 of the mesh type. They are much better than nothing! You do have to watch out with treble hooks. I put rubber hook keepers on my trebles. Covers made for dangling trebles.

Mesh has caused me alot of pain getting rods out. rough rides baits fall off how u had them hooked. Just trying to grab one rod u often get another hook into another rods mesh sleeve. with neoprene this is almost a non issue.

Mesh is better than nothing, but neoprene eliminates some of those fun snags I use to get. Now my neoprene rod sleeves have thin rope lines to secure to the reel, and those are becoming a pain.
    Last edited by BMCD; 04-26-2024 at 10:23 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    I made the switch to neoprene after going thru every make of the mesh sleeves. My opinion on mesh sleeves
    is to make sure you get them tight fitting to the rod as the elastic gets hooked and the tendency of the crankbaits
    to come out of the covers anyway if the rod handle gets moved during storage operations (in/out). Neoprene is not as simple,
    as for example the TW brand is thick and ungainly and won't work on the longer rods with the short elastic bands they use.

Some neoprene is very thin, but some of it the rod tips will push thru if you have any pressure on the tip over time
    Of course this is a huge problem with the mesh as well and there are many variations on the "best solution",
    which to me was the shrink wrap top.

My current "favorite" which I am converting all my rods to as the previous sleeves blow out of the boat or they
    fail is the Liv2fish. This is a well thought out product to solves all the issues I had. Doesn't hook up easily with trebles,
    has an adjustable bungy style reel loop, Velcro at the base to tighten down, and a well sown set of edges
    (where many cheaper versions fail). I like the American flag version as a bonus.

Mesh is ok, and cheap, but with my requirements (no rods in locker as I load/unload boat each usage
    so I use the locker to place plastics and other gear to help balance my boat to reduce chine (and rear port side,
    starboard side is kept light), the Liv2fish (I am not endorsed nor asking to be endorsed) are the current "best in class".
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Mesh has caused me alot of pain getting tods out. rough rides baits fall off how u had them hooked. Just trying to grab one rod u often get another hook into another rods mesh sleeve. with neoprene this is almost a non issue.

Mesh is better than nothing, but neoprene eliminates some of those fun snags I use to get. Now my neoprene rod sleeves have thin rope lines to secure to the reel, and those are becoming a pain.
    My original sleeves had the ropes…major pita. Rod Warrior has since redesigned with hook proof rubber straps. I replaced all my original with the new design.

14. Member
    I've moved to all neoprene, and a very specific brand for a reason. I would say that the mesh ones are better than nothing, but they do not protect my rods as well as neoprene. With the mesh, I also disliked the hooks getting caught, the eyelets pushing through the mesh in places, the mesh tearing/separating and sticking me, etc.... For the neoprene, I've tried several brands. Most are heavy, some have fabric pieces sewn on them that will catch hooks, and others, as mentioned above are not durable enough to prevent rod tips from poking or wearing through. I use Rod Warrior sleeves now on all my rods. They're lighter than others, they don't have any fabric to catch hooks, they're durable and you can get them in any length, color, and even customized as well. The retaining cord is a thin rubber adjustable tube that allows me to use shorter sleeves on longer rods if I need to. Oh, and they're made right here in the USA! They make great sleeves as well as Pole/Raptor covers.

Neoprene are too heavy for rods like NRX 901, fear that if you are not careful putting on that it might stress the tip.

16. Member
    I hate the mesh rod sleeves and now only have the Rod Warrior neoprene sleeves. I did remove all my rod tubes from my boat which makes it much easier to store and access my rods.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I prefer the mesh. I have the type with the cuffs so I rarely get hooks tangled.
    This.
    The correct length means a lot also.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Neoprene are too heavy for rods like NRX 901, fear that if you are not careful putting on that it might stress the tip.
    I thought the same until I started using the Rod Warrior sleeves on my NRX's.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post

I have a couple too and they work great since they are tapered

Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    I think for the Med. or other yea sure..... but those 7-6 super light puff ball rods like the the 901 It still would be a cautious adventure. I have a couple heavier mesh like the Steez ones, the first part slipping on I keep the rod in line with sleeve, others I just slip on because the tips are stiff enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast