Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

Regan fired all the good ones........

3. Member
    I find it STRANGE they force CDL drivers to take 10 hours rest between shifts but not Air Traffic Controllers?
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    I find it STRANGE they force CDL drivers to take 10 hours rest between shifts but not Air Traffic Controllers?
    Amazing isn’t it? When I first got in the business the minimum rest for pilots was 8 hours. That included the time to get to a rest facility/hotel and back to the aircraft for next departure, so really more like 7 hours. Even today on a min rest scenario, you get 9 hours “behind the door” of a hotel room.

Controllers have been short staffed for years. Our ATC infrastructure has been behind the growth in aviation for a long time. It’s amazing the great job they do with the limited resources they have. Our nations Air Traffic Controllers are some of the best minds we have. Incredibly complex job with crazy required thinking skills. My hats off to them.

To be fair, this has been going on for a long time. These days everything is put out on the media within seconds. Since 1980ish I’ve only had a couple problems. The biggie was being cleared to cross a runway with an aircraft on really short final. My FO stood on the brakes for that one. We never crossed the hold line so it never made the news. Had to fill out a report. Scared the crap outta me though. I paid for his dinner and beers that day.

I’ve seen lots of pilots screw up quite a few times also. It’s a team effort out there and everybody has got to have their head on a swivel. The management folks need to get a handle on this before we have another tragedy.

I played safety officer in the AF and my company so I got to read all the reports.

Have a great flight and be safe folks.

PS: I’ll buy an air traffic controller a beer at the bar any day.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 04-23-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12