Thread: Voltage to pcm

Voltage to pcm

How can check the voltage is good to pcm. I have 12.8 at the starter but I’ve been getting a low voltage alarm on my garmin units. Engine ran bad last time out. Just started looking at it. Had surgery recently so have to take it easy for awhile. Looking at that before I unhook anything. Wondering if I have a bad connection or corrosion somewhere. Next on my list is air fuel pressure. I did smell some gas fumes idling at launch but no obvious leaks. Air rail didn’t have gas in it when I pressed the valve. When engine is running I see 13.4 on vessel view. Thx
    250. 2b112238

smartcraft or vesselview link or mobilee is the quick easy way
    Last edited by lpugh; 04-22-2024 at 10:06 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Not sure what you mean Leon

4. Member
    Garmin is on a completely different circuit. If you have 12.8 volts at the starter then you should have 12.8 volts at the pcm. Leon means that you can get Smartcraft gauges to monitor your motor functions and voltage. I had Garmin on my boat before switching to a different brand and the Garmin units did not match the voltage of my Smartcraft gauge.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

5. Member
    If your motor started running bad at the same time you were getting low voltage on your Garmin, and your electronics come off your cranking battery, you either the battery going bad or you have a connection issue at one of the battery post. OR, you could possibly have a short somewhere but I'd lean toward the battery or battery connections.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    When engine is running I see 13.4 on vessel view.
    VesselView is accurate, and that's low, you should be seeing 13.8v minimum at idle.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    VesselView is accurate, and that's low, you should be seeing 13.8v minimum at idle.
    Not necessarily. 13.4 is fine... and Smartcraft reports the LOWER of MPR voltage or PCM Wake voltage.

I do agree that if you have evidence of a voltage problem with ANYTHING that's on the same battery, START THERE. Proper capacity, amperage and voltage are one of the "Cardinal Rules" for the Optimax.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I’m using one of the recommended batteries from Napa. It’s about 1 year old. When I can I’ll dig into this further. Thx for the help so far.