Building a swimbait / glide bait rod

I'm wanting to build a rod for smaller swimbait and glide baits for bass. 1 1/2 oz - 3 oz max size baits. I've already ordered two blanks from NFC, the Delta SW764, and SW765, so I'm not really looking for blank suggestions. I'm just looking to see if anyone has built on those two particular blanks, whether it be for the same type of rod I'm building, or a rod for a different use. And what they think about the blanks being used for what I want to use them for.

Any thoughts shared will be greatly appreciated !!

2. Member
    I've always built the IM SWB 8 foot blanks, usually the 805. Never tried one of the SW Deltas, will be curious to find out what you think of them.

3. Member
    Will ..... I actually chose the SW 764 because it was close in bend profile and lure weight rating, to the IM SWB 805. One thing I also noticed when I was selecting a blank, is according to the web site, the 764 supposedly only weighs 3 oz. If that number is right, and I certainly will check when I get the blanks, that's pretty light for a blank of that length, and power. But I mostly went with the Delta's because they're less expensive. I don't want to sink a lot of money into a rod for a type of fishing I may end up not liking.

I have a feeling based on numbers and bend profile, that the SWB 805, and SW 764 are going to be pretty similar. The bait's I'm planning on throwing initially are Hud 68 Special top hook. River2Sea S-Waver 168, and a Rago Thunderhawk Cha Cha, and the Storm Arashi Glide. The Arashi weighs 3 1/8 oz, so not sure how the 764 would handle that kind of weight, which is why I also ordered the 765.

If the 764 and 805 are close to being the same power wise n such, do you have any idea how it might fish the baits I mentioned?

Any thoughts you can provide will be very much appreciated.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Will ..... I actually chose the SW 764 because it was close in bend profile and lure weight rating, to the IM SWB 805. One thing I also noticed when I was selecting a blank, is according to the web site, the 764 supposedly only weighs 3 oz. If that number is right, and I certainly will check when I get the blanks, that's pretty light for a blank of that length, and power. But I mostly went with the Delta's because they're less expensive. I don't want to sink a lot of money into a rod for a type of fishing I may end up not liking.

I have a feeling based on numbers and bend profile, that the SWB 805, and SW 764 are going to be pretty similar. The bait's I'm planning on throwing initially are Hud 68 Special top hook. River2Sea S-Waver 168, and a Rago Thunderhawk Cha Cha, and the Storm Arashi Glide. The Arashi weighs 3 1/8 oz, so not sure how the 764 would handle that kind of weight, which is why I also ordered the 765.

If the 764 and 805 are close to being the same power wise n such, do you have any idea how it might fish the baits I mentioned?

Any thoughts you can provide will be very much appreciated.
    It should be good for the glides (Swaver, cha cha and Arashi), it might be a little underpowered for a top hook. Think about it like fishing a crankbait (the glides) and a jig (Hud). More moderate for treble hook baits and faster for single hook. I mostly use it for smaller glides/chop baits (like a Tiny Klash), line throughs and Arigs. I'll also throw a 6" Magdraft on it though I prefer throwing that on a 764 flip stick.

5. Member
    Good point about the top hook Hud. Didn't think of that. I was thinking more of a water resistance kind of thing. The Hud comes through the water pretty good. Even though the 765 has a moderate action, from what I understand from others, is that it's a much more stout blank. Might be the better choice for single hook baits like the Hud.

Thanks for the reply. Now I just have to figure out what size running guides I'll be using. I'm planning on using 65# braid with either 20 or 25# fluorocarbon leader. Uni to Uni connection knot. I'm thinking at least 7's, possibly 8's.

Thanks again.

6. Member
    6's would be fine. I'm not a fan of braid to leader for swimbaits myself. Straight braid or flouro. For the baits you're using 17-18lb is more than enough.

7. Member
    Yeah, last night I busted out an old factory rod I have that has 6's for running guides. I tied up some 20# Tatsu to the 65# braid and made a few casts just to see how well the knots passed through the 6's. Not bad at all, and the 6's will definitely cut down on tip weight.

And I agree with that you're saying about no need for braid and a leader with the baits I'll be throwing. I'll be running either straight 20 or 25 lb fluorocarbon except when I go on one lake in particular. When I go there I have more than a good chance at catching a muskie. In fact, any time I go there, I expect to catch one while bass fishing. I had a very close to, or slightly over 50" fish on 2 years ago for about 30 seconds before if thankfully got off. I run into one of them, I want to be prepared.

Plus I may just go fishing for them on purpose. I was happy that big one got off because I was bass fishing. But if I would have been muskie fishing I would have been sick it got off. Thing was a tank.