Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over 26 lbs wins local tournament and you couldn’t get bit

I have never fished tournaments but I do like to keep up with the fishing reports and tourny outcomes. When your day was bad and some boats brought in sacks, how do you respond to that? Do you try completely different patterns and techniques next trip out or just chalk it up to “someone’s going to luck into today’s pattern”?

"Luck"? "On Em"

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    They have located wad of fish with FFS or using a technique that I am not using is what happens to me. I learned a new technique this week that I did not know about and it helped me yesterday. These fish are highly pressured and sometimes a little change in how presented will load the boat. I think FFS has shown fish are located all over the lake they ain't smart but they have been there done that.

4. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I don’t necessarily pay attention to total weight as much as I do numbers of limits compared to numbers of boats participating, when I’m gauging whether or not it was just me on that day or if it was indeed a tough day on the water. Somebody is always going to catch them. One big sack in a derby doesn’t tell you much if you don’t know what the sack looked like. Was it 4 average fish and an 8 lb’er, or was it a solid bag of good fish? If I’m struggling to get bites in a day and 100 guys catch a limit, I was way off base.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

5. Member
    I just fished a tournament yesterday where we came in 55th out of 200 boats. Guntersville is highly pressured and more now than ever with the unreal pressure it matters greatly about what you throw at them. It is also important to pay attention as to how the fish are set up. Three were close to three pounds ,one was four and another was just over a pound and a half. We lost three fish that could have upgraded us to a top twenty finish. So taking advantage of your opportunity is important. There were some local sticks in that tournament that didn’t make the top 100. 24 pounds won it. We found a place that most people would not think of as being productive. We paid attention to the wind direction and the birds to find our fish.

Suck it up and admit your wife was right
    "You ain't KVD"
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

I've had plenty of days where I got my butt beat and I've also had plenty of day where I sacked em and others didn't...I've been beaten badly where I didn't catch a fish. I've also won events where I've beaten second by 15#....it happens...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    It’s totally related to the number of limits you are seeing caught. Essentially someone is always going to have an epic day. It’s when you see a bunch of boats really catch em and you don’t that’s when you gotta make adjustments big time.

if you’ve got a half decent sack and didn’t get a couple of big bites, so be it.

ive only fished one derby so far where I didn’t catch a limit, however I know what I did wrong, and I managed to lose some fish that would have completely changed the outcome.

ive also fished a derby where a bunch of guys had 20+ and I had 14…that’s where I know that me entire game plan was completely wrong. We caught loads of fish and not the right ones. That’s where I am totally adjusting where I am fishing, not how I am fishing.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    I've had plenty of days where I got my butt beat and I've also had plenty of day where I sacked em and others didn't...I've been beaten badly where I didn't catch a fish. I've also won events where I've beaten second by 15#....it happens...

I would not happen if it was Coach Saban? He would have won all of his tournaments if he was a bass fisherman, correct? Sounds like you are going to need to step up your game if you are going to emulate Saban.

You realize at end of tournament you forgot to hit the "ON 'EM" button.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

11. Member
    I used to live near Sebasticook Lake in Maine and went to a few weigh-ins back in the pre-FFS days. I can be a tough lake at times but not impossible with some local knowledge. Some guys got blanked, guys specializing in SM might bring in 18-20#, and the winner would have 25+ of mostly LM. Hit it during the spawn and everybody looks like a pro.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Last years fall classic here on lake Decatur, my partner and I caught probably 15-18 keepers for the win and big bass. We were the only team that weighed in a limit. Just our day..

Dale Sinclair original

13. Member
    Did you happen to pay attention to what the other boats on the water were doing? Did you see a lot of them fishing tge same cover/structure you were fishing? Why did you chose to fish where you fished? What would you have done differently knowing now that you were doing the wrong thing?

These are all questions that I ask myself when I have a subpar day and I know others were catching them.

“It” happens. Several factors can contribute to a crappy day.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

15. Member
    Lots of over 30!lb bags here in WON open yet some blanked. It happens.

16. Member
    Yeah it happens but it seems to happen to me too often. Sometimes I think I try to figure them out too hard and should have just went fishing! There are a few people I know here that seem to always be near or on the top of the leader board. I am not one of those!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I just fished a tournament yesterday where we came in 55th out of 200 boats. Guntersville is highly pressured and more now than ever with the unreal pressure it matters greatly about what you throw at them. It is also important to pay attention as to how the fish are set up. Three were close to three pounds ,one was four and another was just over a pound and a half. We lost three fish that could have upgraded us to a top twenty finish. So taking advantage of your opportunity is important. There were some local sticks in that tournament that didn’t make the top 100. 24 pounds won it. We found a place that most people would not think of as being productive. We paid attention to the wind direction and the birds to find our fish.
    What were you throwing how deep water. Not wanting GPS #’s or way points. I’ll be possibly fishing water front or city park Tuesday or Wednesday.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    What were you throwing how deep water. Not wanting GPS #’s or way points. I’ll be possibly fishing water front or city park Tuesday or Wednesday.
    I’d be curious to know in general terms too. Fished the same tournament and we only managed 4 fish just shy of 11 lbs and then got assessed a late penalty. Was one of those days. Had been catching enough bedding fish shallow upriver from Goosepond but that didn’t pan out on Saturday possibly due to majority of the spawn is done on the upper end or the northeast wind and cloudy conditions.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    I’d be curious to know in general terms too. Fished the same tournament and we only managed 4 fish just shy of 11 lbs and then got assessed a late penalty. Was one of those days. Had been catching enough bedding fish shallow upriver from Goosepond but that didn’t pan out on Saturday possibly due to majority of the spawn is done on the upper end or the northeast wind and cloudy conditions.
    You were correct. Did not catch a single fish with eggs. They were post spawn fish. We caught them in less than four feet of water behind an island that shad were blowing on. Chatter baits and spinner baits ruled the day with the wind. Did you notice how the wind changed direction a couple of times? We adjusted our fishing accordingly.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    Chatter bait with a craw trailer. Most in four feet or less. No eggs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast