Thread: Unions

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I spent the first 10 years of my working life as a member of the Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 286 until I started my career as a Federal LEO.
    The first ten years I was a member of the AFGE. But, after watching my dues go to support candidates and policies that I strongly disagreed with, and that benefited union leadership far more that’s the rank and file members, I decided to make a change. I spent the next 20 years in management and never regretted making the move. I enjoyed a productive working relationship with union leadership for 20 years. I had to since a part of my position involved dealing with employees, many of them union, who had allegedly violated the Code of Conduct every Fed LEO swore to follow. It was a great working relationship under less than ideal circumstances at time.
    And I was able to spend my money to support people and policies I agreed with.
    I would respectfully assume that you have a 401k or other investments that fund businesses, corporations, and political agendas that are against your ethics and idealology as well.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    So why did you join the circle jerk?
    Maybe he wants to be pivot man!

3. Member
    Hated paying dues and annuity money out. But glad I did. Union has been giving me retirement money for 13 years.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Maybe if you invested your dues money all those years?
    Does that "assume" I didn't invest other funds?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Well
    I work for a Conveyor Company for Automotive
    All the Labor is Union.
    I'd say there's plus's and minus's

Growing up, I was the wrong color and gender to get in a union
    And these days, I'm past using my back to make a living

6. Member
    42 years and running working in a union shop. First 25 in the union and last 17 in management (non-union). All 42 years have been great and plan on working at least 4 more. Technicians are making 75k plus bennies a year and we can afford them just fine. Up and running since 1942.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

7. Member
    So pretend like I'm a young person sitting here reading all these union posts. BBC doesn't own the market on union bashing, it's everywhere. IMO 99% of those bashing have had a bad experience and/or think all unions work like being a merit .gov worker. So, this young person is trying to decide if they are going to college or go into a trade. If they are sharp were brought up to be a free thinker this may be a tougher choice. If they were brought up to do the minimum....well you get the point. They better hope they end up being the merit .gov worker and not a tradesman. I lasted a year and half as a tradesman my first time in college. It did not take me long to figure out this was not the life I had envisioned so I joined the military and the rest is history. Reading post like these has to make a young person think. Would you want to go into a profession where you were told you could not be fired, call your neighbours things like "scabs" because they were working, get the crappy hours and work until you were senior, then have half the country mad because you are senior...my goodness it's a wonder good tradesman demand their prices. IMO America is totally missing the value of good labor and a deep labor force.

We WILL pay dearly for this one day!

P.S. This really hits home for me this week. For the first time ever we had labor type work done at our house and a company around here not send a bunch of good ole boys as the workers. This week I got one dude that would speak English and 7 other dudes that did not seem to speak a lick of English. Not used to seeing that in TN.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    For the first time ever we had labor type work done at our house and a company around here not send a bunch of good ole boys as the workers. This week I got one dude that would speak English and 7 other dudes that did not seem to speak a lick of English. Not used to seeing that in TN.
    Welcome to the new America! And they say they only take the jobs that Americans don't want. That is total BS! I know plenty of guys who have been sqeezed out of their industries!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious but not all those that pay those high union dues may be in the position to look elsewhere or relocate
    "Hey Jim, thanks for the 20 years working for our company, we thank you for all the hard work, dedication and loyalty but the times are tough and we are going to need to close your branch. You can continue with our company but will have to take a position 3 hours away in another town. Oh you can't relocate? Too bad i guess, good luck we will put a good reference for you. good luck...."

then you would wish you had a union to fight for you

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Moore View Post
    Maybe he wants to be pivot man!
    Nope. Sounds like you have experience there….
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

50 years in the union. After 1 year of being retired my pensions paid all the union dues I spent over those years. Now I live like I'm still working every month they send the checks. Can't ask for more than that.

Been a Union member and when I left, I got my withdrawal card, just incase I ever had to go back.
    Supervised Union Employees, which included Steel Workers, UAW and Flint and Glass Workers.
    Worked side by side with numerous unions as an Engineer.
    Seen the Good side of Unions from both sides and seen the down side of unions.
    Being in the Union, I did get a very good wage.
    Now these days, with all the Safety Regulations here in the USA, I see the Unions less effective.
    Big problem when I was in the Union, other Brothers did give a damn, until something effected them.
    We had the best looking Union President of our Local 580. Nelly put Raquel Welch to shame.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    So pretend like I'm a young person sitting here reading all these union posts. BBC doesn't own the market on union bashing, it's everywhere. IMO 99% of those bashing have had a bad experience and/or think all unions work like being a merit .gov worker. So, this young person is trying to decide if they are going to college or go into a trade. If they are sharp were brought up to be a free thinker this may be a tougher choice. If they were brought up to do the minimum....well you get the point. They better hope they end up being the merit .gov worker and not a tradesman. I lasted a year and half as a tradesman my first time in college. It did not take me long to figure out this was not the life I had envisioned so I joined the military and the rest is history. Reading post like these has to make a young person think. Would you want to go into a profession where you were told you could not be fired, call your neighbours things like "scabs" because they were working, get the crappy hours and work until you were senior, then have half the country mad because you are senior...my goodness it's a wonder good tradesman demand their prices. IMO America is totally missing the value of good labor and a deep labor force.

We WILL pay dearly for this one day!

P.S. This really hits home for me this week. For the first time ever we had labor type work done at our house and a company around here not send a bunch of good ole boys as the workers. This week I got one dude that would speak English and 7 other dudes that did not seem to speak a lick of English. Not used to seeing that in TN.
    I'd tell any kid to really sit down and weigh his options and really take into account his mental ability and work ethic. I'd tell him college degrees are not cheap and are no guarantee of a high paying job once you get one. Also college can be the worst financial decision you'll ever make.
    The kid should also know that if college is not for him that thanks to unions there are plenty of high paying jobs available in the trades... if he's willing to work hard.
    I would explain to him, if he goes the trade route, that being non union he will have no job protection. That his employer has the right to fire him for any or no reason. His employer can change his pay or hours at any time. He'll in nearly every profession make less money with less benefits and no pension. I'd tell him the 2.5 hours a month of union dues are worth every penny.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman2006 View Post
    I'd tell any kid to really sit down and weigh his options and really take into account his mental ability and work ethic. I'd tell him college degrees are not cheap and are no guarantee of a high paying job once you get one. Also college can be the worst financial decision you'll ever make.
    The kid should also know that if college is not for him that thanks to unions there are plenty of high paying jobs available in the trades... if he's willing to work hard.
    I would explain to him, if he goes the trade route, that being non union he will have no job protection. That his employer has the right to fire him for any or no reason. His employer can change his pay or hours at any time. He'll in nearly every profession make less money with less benefits and no pension. I'd tell him the 2.5 hours a month of union dues are worth every penny.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    I was a foreman for a couple years at one of the big three facilities. Yes, firing a poor performer is a tough job, as it should be. The contract between the company and the union spelled out the steps that had to be taken before an employee could be terminated. The process required a lot of work, communications, measurements, accuracy, etc., on the part of the company.

Keep in mind, the same rules that make it hard to fire poor performers also protect the rest of the employees in the group. If it was easier to fire the poor performers, it also becomes easier to fire any of the other employee's.
    Why would a company want to fire good employees?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Why would a company want to fire good employees?
    Companies will cut there own throat to save a few dollars.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    To laugh at the union guy standing in the middle
    Talk about a tangent. Started out talking unions and veered into bukkake.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

18. Member
    Funny how union members keep saying how evil companies are. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you

19. Member
    So why prop up a crap company with organized labor?

20. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MLCA View Post
    "Hey Jim, thanks for the 20 years working for our company, we thank you for all the hard work, dedication and loyalty but the times are tough and we are going to need to close your branch. You can continue with our company but will have to take a position 3 hours away in another town. Oh you can't relocate? Too bad i guess, good luck we will put a good reference for you. good luck...."

then you would wish you had a union to fight for you
    we didn’t have a union in the Air Force thank god
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast