UFP oil bath hub question.

I am replacing all my seals in my UFP oil bath hubs. I have a tandem axel marine master trailer (2004 model). One axel has brake calipers. On my hubs on the non brake axel, they have a groove on the inside of the hub for an o-ring (where the silver part of the hub with plastic window gets pressed in), to seal the pressed fit connection. However, on my hubs on the brake axel, there is no groove for an o-ring on the pressed fit joint. Should there be one on that hub too? The place I bought the seals and O-Rings (Waymire Distribution) sent me O-rings for the brake axel hubs as if they would have that groove for them too. If there is no o-ring on those brake axel hubs for that press fit connection, should I use something else to help seal that joint/connection? Or will the press fit be tight enough that it just won’t leak?
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

2. Member
    All four of mine are grooved for oring. But one axle isn’t drilled and tapped for a zerk.

3. Member
    Red (High Temp) RTV Silicone would probably work. I use it on all my dust caps with a regular grease set up. Probably would want to let it dry before filling with oil.

Place a light coat of RV-BLACK Silicone on the outside of the cap before you install it with or without an "O" ring. It will form an excess at the front of the cap as it goes in, do not wipe it off. Let it harden then trim it.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Some of the hubs were manufactured without the hub o ring groove.

Partially seat the bearing cover & apply red permatex rtv to the interference surface….then fully seat the bearing cover. I do this even with hub o-rings. Fill the hubs once the permatex is no longer tacky.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Some of the hubs were manufactured without the hub o ring groove.

Partially seat the bearing cover & apply red permatex rtv to the interference surface….then fully seat the bearing cover. I do this even with hub o-rings. Fill the hubs once the permatex is no longer tacky.
    Thanks for the input. I'll def use the permatex rtv and get everything sealed back up well. Actually, I was thinking that they must have used something similar (only black in color) when they installed these at the trailer factory because I can see something like this right on the joint of where the bearing cover meets the hub previously.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    All four of mine are grooved for oring. But one axle isn’t drilled and tapped for a zerk.
    Seems to me that they all should be grooved for the oring. Not sure why they would make some without, but based on other responses, some have experienced the same thing as I have and have found some without. Seems like a bad idea, especially due to the fact that they are submerged while launching and loading the boats.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5