2012 21HP Elite Swapped to Lithiums Lost 5mph?

Boat is a 2012 21 HP Elite with a 2012 250 Pro XS
    10” Z Lock Manual Jack Plate
    25P Fury 3

Trolling Batteries went bad again this year swapped to one single 36v lithium, cut around 140lbs out of the back of the boat and lost 5+mph. The boat has always been very sensitive to weight and the way it’s loaded but this is throwing me for a loop. I’ve tried moving all my tackle to the back but I can visual tell driving it I’m not getting the lift I was before. The hole shot is awesome but top end is sad, I could consistently run 73+ by myself and 69-70 fully loaded with a co before. Fished a BFL a few weeks ago and loaded with co could only run 60-62.

Has anyone had this happen before, should I move the jack plate up more to start?

Any advise is appreciated.

2. Member
    move weight to the rear and lower plate 1 inch-- might have to drop to a 24p also what is max rpm's now? boat plowing some? a good tempest plus might help also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Check this out. l

4. Member
    Simple, add ballast weight right next to batteries. You can use ruck plates or get some steel bar. If you do that you won’t have to change your set-up…..just add weight exactly where you list it from.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Simple, add ballast weight right next to batteries. You can use ruck plates or get some steel bar. If you do that you won’t have to change your set-up…..just add weight exactly where you list it from.
    Exactly what I did..

6. Member
    I experienced the exact same thing with my 2018 Triton 19trx Patriot. I also lost 5 mph when I switched over to a lithium battery. It’s upsetting to think that these lithium companies are saying your boat will go faster because of less weight in the back of the boat, when it’s the opposite. What weight did you use and how did you secure it so it wouldn’t move?

7. Member
    Find a B&B 25p Tempest (w/ cup added) to test and set PTP at 2.5”.. then see what happens ... tempests lift the bow way better than fury’s.

My HP felt Velcro’d to the water with a Fury. 25p Tempest and 2.5 deg wedges, it came alive
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

8. Member
    Thank you for the info! I will try and get my hands on one. Velcro’d is the perfect way to describe it. I feel like my boat has more speed to give, but just can’t get enough bow lift. Too much of the boat is in the water.

9. Member
    TR20X and 225 Pro XS i switched to lithiums (4) lost about 5mph. Added a lead acid battery to the center of the battery compartment and a ballast weight bag i got on ebay (50lbs) to the port side of the battery compartment. Dropped to a worked 24p Tempest plus and also have a 23P Croxton XLT (new haven't tryed it yet. Got the RPM's back but not all the speed.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayc View Post
    Find a B&B 25p Tempest (w/ cup added) to test and set PTP at 2.5”.. then see what happens ... tempests lift the bow way better than fury’s.

My HP felt Velcro’d to the water with a Fury. 25p Tempest and 2.5 deg wedges, it came alive
    I don't have lithiums but I do agree about the Tempest. I switched from a 25 Fury to a 25 Tempest and my boat runs and lifts much better.

11. Member
    Great video!

12. Member
    this makes sense buy lighter batteries for more money lose mph an the add weight to make it run like it did before .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    this makes sense buy lighter batteries for more money lose mph an the add weight to make it run like it did before .
    That's why I keep lead acid batteries, they have never given me trouble on the water and the weight in the back helps with speed.

14. Member
    What boat do you own?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19trx Patriot View Post
    What boat do you own?
    If you are asking me, a 2012 Triton 19XS.

16. Member
    What speeds are you getting on your 2012 Triton 19xs?

17. Member
    What speeds are you getting on your 2012 Triton 19xs?
    Only about 70 so far since I switched from a Fury to Tempest but I haven't had it out on the river to see what it will really do yet, the lakes around here you run out of room quickly. Going to Douglas lake next week so I will really be able to run it.

18. Member
    What speeds were you getting with your fury?

19. Member
    What speeds were you getting with your fury?
    68 MPH.

20. Member
    Thank you