Merc’s Opti-Max oil has “gelling” issues ?

I have been reading on various Merc forums that there is a rumored gelling issue with Merc DFI oil? Any truth to this?

2. Member
    we have seen some yes especially on boats that set for extended periods of time
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

That's not good! Coming off a Winter lay off. I used DFI last season. Went back to Prem Plus, DFI is just way to much $$$. Any issues with Prem Plus or even switching to Pennzoil?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    That's not good! Coming off a Winter lay off. I used DFI last season. Went back to Prem Plus, DFI is just way to much $$$. Any issues with Prem Plus or even switching to Pennzoil?
    They're "suitable" oils, but tend to reduce Direct Injector lifespan.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yes. I just had my tank cleaned out due to gelled oil. I think it's coming from tanks that way. It certainly doesn't sit in my boat long. I go through 5-6 gallons a year.
    I think with fewer people using Optis these days the bulk oil is sitting longer. Just a thought.
    I can't believe they charge $65-$70 per gallon here for Opti/dfi oil
    I started using a funnel with a screen when filling my oil tank.

6. Member
    This is another reason I don't buy DFI oil in bulk even though its cheaper, the BPS in Vaughan sells it by the gallon and bulk, don't use that much so will buy it by the gal. when I need it.

7. Member
    So is it additives that are gelling? If so, and you filter them out, then?????

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Couldn't give a blanket answer to your question, Mikeky. The two I've seen, it's WATER/MOISTURE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor