6’10” Chatterbait Rod

Good afternoon guys,

My son is 11 and loves fishing a 3/8oz chatterbait, currently I have using a Curado DC on an old (made in Texas) All Star WR1 and it’s working for him but even at 6’6” it a pretty heavy rod and can wear him out on tournament days. Thus I am looking for him a new chatterbait rod in either a 6’9” or 6’10” length. There are tons of options in the 7’+ range but that length is a bit much for him to handle. About the only option I have found is the Falcon Expert Head Turner, does anyone have any experience with this rod or any other rod suggestions. Thanks for your time and insight.
    Thanks, Todd

2. Member
    The new evergreen Combat sticks have a 6'8 Heavy glass model built for chatterbaits. I don't have one but have been super tempted to pick one up for the kayak.

3. Member
    If you can find a Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MH Mod-fast, that is a great rod and pretty light as well.

4. Member
    The newly released Zillions are really nice. I own the 6'10" Bladed jig rod and it performs extremely well.

5. Member
    Being that you want a light rod for your son, some other questions:

How "light"
    Does he prefer fast, mod-fast, or moderate tapers?
    What is he using for line?
    Will he be fishing grass, open water, structure, rock, or combination?

6. Member
    Excellent rod! Use mine for spinnerbaits as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    If you can find a Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MH Mod-fast, that is a great rod and pretty light as well.

7. Member
    For factory rods, I absolutely love the Kistler Argon 6’10 MHMF “Spinnerbait Special”. Works great for chatterbaits well as a finesse jig.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Lews custom lite 6'10" it is built for chatterbaits.

9. Member
    Thanks guys so much for the suggestions, I am certainly going to check all of these out!!
    Thanks, Todd

10. Member
    Kistler feel n reel 6'10" definitely the preferred at that length. Very tough to beat this rod for Chatterbaits.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

The new Daiwa Zillion 610MHRB-FL is an incredible 1/2 oz Jack Hammer + Spunk Shad rod. I have been more impressed with these new FL models than I anticipated, in particular this rod. It has the right balance of tip, backbone, and flex... I've gotten some very positive feedback on this model for this application from customers.

Take a look at Loomis SBR812. I have two of them and bought them used from here. They are my go to spinnerbait rod and they handle a chatter bait as well. It's a 6'9" medium. I'd recommend a Doomsday Tackle "The 47" but they don't make the 6'10" medium anymore. I have one and it's a light rod with a lot of power. Maybe you could find a used one.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The new Daiwa Zillion 610MHRB-FL is an incredible 1/2 oz Jack Hammer + Spunk Shad rod. I have been more impressed with these new FL models than I anticipated, in particular this rod. It has the right balance of tip, backbone, and flex... I've gotten some very positive feedback on this model for this application from customers.
    Hey Gary, when I open that link it shows a 6'8" length?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Hey Gary, when I open that link it shows a 6'8" length?
    The 6’10” just sold out, but more are on the way! That link shows a drop down where you can see and select models in stock, and has detailed information on the Zillion rods including specs.

I think the Falcon Expert 6-1610 Head Turner would be an excellent rod for him. I use a Cara Head Turner for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits and it's perfect. In my humble opinion Falcon makes the best rods for the money of anyone else. I own a number of them.... Great company that really stands behind their product.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    I'm liking the ALX Rumble more and more every time I use it for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits.

17. Member
    I'm pretty sure Fitzgerald makes a Bryan Thrift Signature Series chatterbait rod that is on the shorter side.