Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going out of town for work

I work construction. Every now and then I have to go out of town for work. And every time it’s a struggle my wife gets so upset. Maybe not so upset as she tells me that she wishes that I would not have go away for work. I understand what she’s saying, but I also asked her do you like to eat? Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but she struggles with understanding, and it breaks my heart that I have to leave but she struggles with this.

2. Moderator
    How long are you gone?

3. Member
    If you guys are young and have kids I get it. But you got to pay the bills.

Unfortunately in these current times men are often vilified for taking care of their own and earning a living.

5. Member
    Totally get it. Mine is the same way and I don't travel.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Unfortunately in these current times men are often vilified for taking care of their own and earning a living.
    Yep, that line of thinking is a disease. Circumstances suck sometimes and sacrifices need to be made. It is the man's job to provide for his family and if that is what it takes that is what it takes. Nothing wrong with providing for your family.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

I did it every week for three years with a two year old and a newborn. It takes strength. The company was great let the family fly with me at times
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

8. Member
    Some wives would be happy with a husband who worked and supported his family doing whatever it takes.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    How long are you gone?
    Maybe a week at the most

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Yep, that line of thinking is a disease. Circumstances suck sometimes and sacrifices need to be made. It is the man's job to provide for his family and if that is what it takes that is what it takes. Nothing wrong with providing for your family.
    I agree completely. I need to support my family, but she misses me when I’m gone and I thank God every day that I have a woman that cares about me that much and loves me as much as she does

My late wife (God rest her wonderful soul) put up with my absences for 38 years. Either me being stuck for a week in the SAC alert shack, being deployed for months at at time, or on the road with the airlines.

Did I like it? No. Was it necessary? Yes. Our relationship was strong enough to handle it. We dealt with it. Sometimes it sucked. If I was home for more than 2 weeks in a row she’d ask if I still had a job and it was time to GTFO and do it.

She was a saint. Now an angel.

12. Member
    I guess I'm just nuts but a week here is there doesn't sound like anything to get worked up about.

Good thing you aren't in the military and going on deployment.
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

14. Member
    Find a new job

15. Member
    I am with you, bud. I am a sales manager and I am gone at least 1-2 weeks every month. I also have 3 year old twin boys and a 7 year old. So it is definitely a struggle. But I have to support my family, as my wife is a stay at home mom. But I struggle with it more than wife does. I hate leaving my family, but they understand.
    Justin Hrach

16. Member
    A lot of guys that work for our company act like they don’t want to go out of town until they get a taste of the tax free per diem. Then they can’t get enough of of the out of town work. Gotta give them all the keep it between the lines speech….
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

17. Member
    I spent 6 years working away from home. Doing a 6 week out and 1 week back rotation. I missed my kids growing up. They are graduated university debt free and financially set up for life. But I miss the time I was not home for them. I have an amazing wife that raised some damn good kids.

18. Member
    I travelled a lot for work. Usually had field work that required overnight stays a couple times a month. I switched jobs a didn’t have to spend a night in a hotel for about 7 years. I switched jobs again last year and it involves quite a bit more travel that wasn’t part of the description until my first day when they assigned me a group where we handle jobs primarily around nyc. Every other group in my dept just works within 1.5hrs of the office, max. If I knew I’d be assigned jobs down in southern ny, I would’ve accepted a job in a different department when it was offered.

I took this new job and accepted a pay cut but it’s a lot more home time every day, more time off, and just better for family. Some don’t mind going away for work, I’d rather work close to home and be present every day than leaving for weeks on end. Even if that means we aren’t rich. Family time means more than money to me.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 04-14-2024 at 08:38 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    Don't you have a buddy that can stop by and visit with her?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbartles View Post
    Good thing you aren't in the military and going on deployment.
    Did that, gotta tell my wife is one amazing woman. She handled everything while I was deployed, when I got back everything was great. Sure, she had some rough times, but she made it work.

Without more info, hard to give you any helpful advice. Does she work, is she far away from home, does she have friends she can lean on? Sounds like you Two need to have heart to heart about this and figure out how to make it work for both of you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast