4-14 good morning at Viking.

Nice morning! Felt good to feel warm on the boat for a change. Best bite was fishing the grass line with a jerkbait. Also got bite on a bladed jig and a ned rig. Wasn’t a long morning home at 12:15. Best 5 was only 12.23lb. Super fun to be out.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    How is the lake level there?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    It’s a little low, but not bad.

I ended up hitting Viking on Saturday. Pulled a few fish off some brush piles right away with a jig. Mostly dinks, but caught one over 4lbs. Hit a dead spell when i was exploring the northeast boat ramp and that creek channel that runs through there. Ended up really hammering em on some flatter depth transitions in the 7-10ft range around lunchtime. Most everything i caught on the on those flats were 3lb+ and mostly on ned rig and a jighead minnow. They really got active and could probably been caught numerous ways. Don't remember the exact weights but I'd put the best 5 around 17-18lbs. Looks like that lake has a pretty dense shad population. They were schooled up everywhere i fished early in the morning. The schools were tight and stationary, they looked like dense brush on mega live untill i spooked em with my lure. Really enjoyed fishing there, will definitely go again sometime. The drive sucks though!

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Thanks for the report!! Sounds like you had a great day! I don’t think there is shad in the lake? Could have been schools of Pan fish?

I think now you should hit up prairie rose. :-).
    Was it very busy on Saturday?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACQUART21 View Post
    I ended up hitting Viking on Saturday. Pulled a few fish off some brush piles right away with a jig. Mostly dinks, but caught one over 4lbs. Hit a dead spell when i was exploring the northeast boat ramp and that creek channel that runs through there. Ended up really hammering em on some flatter depth transitions in the 7-10ft range around lunchtime. Most everything i caught on the on those flats were 3lb+ and mostly on ned rig and a jighead minnow. They really got active and could probably been caught numerous ways. Don't remember the exact weights but I'd put the best 5 around 17-18lbs. Looks like that lake has a pretty dense shad population. They were schooled up everywhere i fished early in the morning. The schools were tight and stationary, they looked like dense brush on mega live untill i spooked em with my lure. Really enjoyed fishing there, will definitely go again sometime. The drive sucks though!
    Kinda cool to read about you having a good trip after asking for advice about new water.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Thanks for the report!! Sounds like you had a great day! I don’t think there is shad in the lake? Could have been schools of Pan fish?

I think now you should hit up prairie rose. :-).
    Was it very busy on Saturday?
    It started to get busy around lunchtime, but the morning was very quiet. I was the first truck in the parking lot at the NW ramp @ 6:30am. The schools I was seeing were very tightly bunched up and moved as a unit. I didn't see anything that resembled a bigger fish on the edges of the school, so I don't think it would be panfish or crappie. Pretty much acted like traditional shad schools in colder water.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Interesting? Man you got to the lake at a good time (6:30) you must have left Nebraska early!! Anytime the drive for me is over a hour it makes the day feel long….. to and from Lol.

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Nice report. Viking is a good lake but are you sure those were not bluegill and or crappie? I didn’t think viking had shad but it does have a ton of bluegill. It is a good lake.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Yessir, i wanted to be there at a reasonable time before it got busy. I can't say for sure what i was seeing. Mostly just a big blob that would slowly move in unison. Can't say I've seen bluegill or crappie school in that manner but who knows.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS