Japanese Style Bluegill Baits

I would like to hear from the guys who have fished the soft plastic "bluegill" baits like the Berkley Gilly, the GeeCrack baits, etc. Are they really any better than other soft plastics?

2. Member
    Ive been using the gill for a few years now. I really like the bellows gill and bellows Shad compared to the gilly. I gave the gilly away to be put in a family auction without even using them.

i catch quite a bit on the 3.8.. don’t be deceived by the length, a 3.8 is a fairly large bait. Almost like throwing a small pork chop at them. But for some reason the fish eat it, even smallmouth and rock bass. The bellows shad is slimmer, but I’ve caught more on the gill.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I've only just started messing around with them this season. Mainly the GeeCrack Bellows shad at this point, but I do have some Thunderhawk Grenades (similar to the Bellows Gill, but made with Elaztech type material) I bought to use as well. Are they better...I don't think so. But they are different from what a lot of guys throw, and sometimes being different gets you more bites. They also can give you a different profile if you use them as a trailer on a jig or a spinnerbait.

They don't work. I've tried them extensively, and they suck. Do NOT throw them.

2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34