Point 1 on a Solix

Has anyone actually done it? All I'm wanting it to do is give me heading. The solix, both of them actually, are reading the point 1 on the nmea network but it won't let me select them for heading. When I go to the heading source setting on both units it gives me no option to select anything for heading.

I know, ideally I would have an AS GPS HS puck installed, and I have one in my garage, but for some reason HB and Lowrance can't make their pucks with the same hole pattern and the HB puck won't cover the holes that were in my boat from the Point 1 that was installed at the dealer. I've even scoured the internet for a plate that I could cover the Point 1 holes with and mount the AS GPS HS to that plate and have had no luck.

2. Member
    I utilize the point1, that is used for my engine, on my console mounted Helix 15 g4 thru nmea.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    I have a Point One providing heading on my Solix 1. I think it is configured under the network settings. I note that you said the Solix units are connected to your NMEA network, and that they are seen by the Solix, so that seems to be in order.
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches

4. Member
    My Point-1 is connected to my solix 15 G3 and works great. I saw some stuff where people said it won't work. It allowed me to pick it as a source and worked great all weekend.
    NPAA #803

5. Member
    My HB heading sensor puck has never been great at showing direction (on two boats in three different locations now). Is the Point 1 notably better, or are you just using them because you already have one?

6. Member
    My first guess would be location of the puck. We are talking the HB GPS/heading sensor, Correct? It could also be close to something magnetic! Mine has been and is accurate for over 12 years.
    There is also a calibration in the manual to follow.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-15-2024 at 12:53 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    My HB heading sensor puck has never been great at showing direction (on two boats in three different locations now). Is the Point 1 notably better, or are you just using them because you already have one?

Point 1 was on the boat, dealer or Basscat installed it. I would swap it out for the humminbird AS GPS HS puck that I already have but the Lowrance puck has a hole pattern that is wider than the entire HB Puck and I'd rather not have ugly visible holes in the top cap of my brand new boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    My first guess would be location of the puck. We are talking the HB GPS/heading sensor, Correct? It could also be close to something magnetic! Mine has been and is accurate for over 12 years.
    There is also a calibration in the manual to follow.
    We're talking Lowrance Point 1 on a humminbird.

Threads here say it will work, I'm trying to figure out if I am missing something because it isn't working on mine. I can use the point 1 for the GPS source but I can not use it for the heading source. There are no heading options on under the Heading source tab.

9. Member
    That is the kink in this settup. The diagnostics and calibrations on your HB unit do not include point one. You were talking about the HB GPS and not wanting to change to it because the holes don’t match up. If there is some magnetic quirk you can’t calibrate to allow for it. Unless of course you get your HB GPS/HS installed and calibrated. That is what I was suggesting. Perhaps just tape the HB puck down and see how it works after the calibration and decide if you want to fill the holes and match the paint on your BCB.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    We're talking Lowrance Point 1 on a humminbird.

Threads here say it will work, I'm trying to figure out if I am missing something because it isn't working on mine. I can use the point 1 for the GPS source but I can not use it for the heading source. There are no heading options on under the Heading source tab.
    There are a few config screens under the Network settings you should check to enable the heading data to be used by the Solix. I am attaching some of them.

config1.jpgcofig2.jpgconfig3.jpg
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches

11. Member
    I read this post actually just out of curiosity and to my surprise my console mounted Solix 15 G2 has Point 1 as GPS 1 and Internal GPS as GPS 2. I have what I assume is a heading sensor, since it is not a external GPS, connected to my NEMA 2000. I have never had any issues with my GPS that I use entirely to run up and down the Mississippi River. It has always been very accurate. I have always had a Helix 12 G3, Mega 360 at my bow along with Ultrex Ipilot Link with Sonar and Mega DI. They have always been networked together along with my Solix15 G2 with no problems. Now I have added a Solix 12 G3, Mega Live and TL to my bow. All of my HB and MK are networked together with the newest 1G box. Is there anything I need to be looking at in the settings or the GPS sections on any of my units that may hinder or help me pertaining to the Point 1 being GPS 1 and my Internal GPS being GPS 2 on my Solix 15 G2. Also I saw in bobcoy post #6 there is a calibration in the manual to follow. I can't find it, could someone direct me to it. I am certain I have never done it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dls View Post
    I read this post actually just out of curiosity and to my surprise my console mounted Solix 15 G2 has Point 1 as GPS 1 and Internal GPS as GPS 2. I have what I assume is a heading sensor, since it is not a external GPS, connected to my NEMA 2000. I have never had any issues with my GPS that I use entirely to run up and down the Mississippi River. It has always been very accurate. I have always had a Helix 12 G3, Mega 360 at my bow along with Ultrex Ipilot Link with Sonar and Mega DI. They have always been networked together along with my Solix15 G2 with no problems. Now I have added a Solix 12 G3, Mega Live and TL to my bow. All of my HB and MK are networked together with the newest 1G box. Is there anything I need to be looking at in the settings or the GPS sections on any of my units that may hinder or help me pertaining to the Point 1 being GPS 1 and my Internal GPS being GPS 2 on my Solix 15 G2. Also I saw in bobcoy post #6 there is a calibration in the manual to follow. I can't find it, could someone direct me to it. I am certain I have never done it. Thanks
    I think it was posted a few years ago that if you used a Point 1 with Humminbird, you have to calibrate it with a Lowrance or Garmin first.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Thanks again Wayne.

14. Member
    My point about electronic compass calibration is it should be done on a somewhat regular basis. I may be considered a hard liner about it as in “ If accuracy is not important why bother with the compass at all”. If you are fishing a target. Just drifting or spotlocked. Without a properly calibrated compass. There is no way to know which way your target is relative to the boats orientation. A 50 to 100’ cast might be 50 to 100 feet from where you need it to be.(waisted time and no bite). Don’t go by what I am saying. Google” why is electronic compass calibration needed and why should it be done from time to time. Live sonar might help with being able to cast in the right direction but it also uses a digital compass to keep you aware of your orientation. May have been said years ago, but it is still true. JMO Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    My point about electronic compass calibration is it should be done on a somewhat regular basis. I may be considered a hard liner about it as in “ If accuracy is not important why bother with the compass at all”. If you are fishing a target. Just drifting or spotlocked. Without a properly calibrated compass. There is no way to know which way your target is relative to the boats orientation. A 50 to 100’ cast might be 50 to 100 feet from where you need it to be.(waisted time and no bite). Don’t go by what I am saying. Google” why is electronic compass calibration needed and why should it be done from time to time. Live sonar might help with being able to cast in the right direction but it also uses a digital compass to keep you aware of your orientation. May have been said years ago, but it is still true. JMO Bob
    Also for the unit it should be set to Magnetic North since the heading sensor relates to the magnetic North Pole, not map North (True).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by venomvee View Post
    There are a few config screens under the Network settings you should check to enable the heading data to be used by the Solix. I am attaching some of them.

config1.jpgcofig2.jpgconfig3.jpg
    Pretty sure I've been through all of that. I'm going to the lake this evening and will snap some pics of what I got.