Dual Axle One Tire Wearing

I have about 15K miles on a MM dual axle trailer. The right rear is starting to wear slightly on the out side. The 3 other tires look brand new.

I had a trailer shop I have used in the past, and never had any issues look at it and they said there is really nothing they can do. It is only out maybe one degree, but there is really no way to adjust anything to make it better. That does not sound right.

Anyone have this issue and what was done to solve it? I am looking for another shop to get a second opinion....... but my options seem limited.

2. Member
    Short of a spindle or axle replacement not a lot you can do. Many years ago my brother had one like this. He used a porta power, some chains, and spindle bubble level and straightened his axle/spindle. Worked perfectly!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. Member
    I think the axles under mm trailers are too light. Mine have bent at least 3x. I have cut the square tube and re welded them to align them. Ill have perfect wear for a while then boom suddenly one tire is wearing badly again. I gave up Im just buying tires 4 at a time and rotating them into service and running them until cords poke out.

At first I thought it was curb shots on the pass side, but in the last 5 years Ive not hit a curb and Ive also had drivers side axle end up off. Maybe pot holes.

If your trailer is under 5 years old you can jump thru a ton of hoops and mm will send you a new axle or axles once. I did that.

4. Member
    10 ton porta power, ram, 3/8 chain, 2' level + a little "want to" can repair most any axle.

5. Member
    I will contact MM and see what they say. I didn't notice the wear until 15K miles, so its not bad, but its not right also. I am not going to try to pull or bend it, when the Pro's can't do it with proper equipment.
    Sucks that its NOT right and I may have to live with it.

Thanks for the reply

6. Member
    Rotate tires

Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    I will contact MM and see what they say. I didn't notice the wear until 15K miles, so its not bad, but its not right also. I am not going to try to pull or bend it, when the Pro's can't do it with proper equipment.
    Sucks that its NOT right and I may have to live with it.

Thanks for the reply
    i had the same and gave them a call. They asked me to do some measurements and said it would be warranty if it was indeed out. When I jacked up the trailer I realized that the wheel had a loose castle nut. I broke it down and tightened the nut, repacked it all and rotated that tire to the front. Seemed to solve my problem. They buy the whole axle assembly from Dexter

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

8. Member
    torsion axle? loose mounting bolt?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I had a similar issue only mine was wearing on the inside of the tire. I pulled the wheel and noted that the splined end holding the hub to the torsion arm was not "Flat" in the arm mount. I replaced the bolt with a grade 8 anodized bolt and a locking nut, than made sure the arm and the spline were flush before tightening the bolt to 150 foot pounds of torque. It's been fine since then. I checked the other 3, they were ok, but I did replace the bolts on then also.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I had a similar issue only mine was wearing on the inside of the tire. I pulled the wheel and noted that the splined end holding the hub to the torsion arm was not "Flat" in the arm mount. I replaced the bolt with a grade 8 anodized bolt and a locking nut, than made sure the arm and the spline were flush before tightening the bolt to 150 foot pounds of torque. It's been fine since then. I checked the other 3, they were ok, but I did replace the bolts on then also.
    this is what basscat sells the bolt kit for and have posted about causing this issue also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools