Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I swear I think general practice doctors are just going through the motions

I switched doctors last fall. The one I had would not respond back to my ortho surgeon about my upcoming surgery. I contacted the doctor and he still didn't answer back. So I switched to the same doctor as my wife. Had my first visit last October. Went back Tuesday for a follow up. Went a month ago and had all the blood work done and so on. Nurse calls me back and jump on the scales. I have lost 20 pounds. BP was 121/82. Dr comes in and asked if I'm feeling ok, shortness of breath etc etc. Said your blood work was fine. You need to lose weight you can do this by etc etc. I didn't say a word. Less than five minutes he was heading out the door. As he reached for the door I said I have a question. He stopped and said yes. I asked "did you look at my chart that your nurse just filled out?" Yes "Are you sure?" Why do you ask "Well you give me the weight lose speech you have that you have memorized so well, did you even bother to compare my weight from the previous visit, go ahead have a look" He opens the chart and looks, no response. "Yep that's 20 pounds doc" Just some stuttering as he exited the room. The nurse came back in and said your free to go
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2. Member
    So you are searching for a doctor to give the "great job....keep it going" pep talk? If you still need to lose weight, you still need to lose weight.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    So you are searching for a doctor to give the "great job....keep it going" pep talk? If you still need to lose weight, you still need to lose weight.
    No dumbass I'm not but when someone does dump 20 some acknowledgment of progress would go a long way for the future. Now that I have your attention, is your only purpose on this site is to give out smartass comments and stir crap up. Because that's all I see you post
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    I agree. Especially when insurance makes so many people have to get referrals from general doctor so they just go through the motions because they won't be treating you anyway.

5. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    My small town doctor gets me in the day I call and can’t get away from him chatting about family etc. you seem a bit crabby this morning RB

Dale Sinclair original

Every year I get the 5 min talk
    Lose some Wieght, Exercise more and eat better
    Will do a full blood screen and I'll see you next year

7. Member
    Thanks RB. Read you post again. You are complaining about the doctors not caring, yet you posted that the entire time the doctor was with you you "didn't say a word". Don't you think that is kinda weird? If you truly cared about your care, wouldn't you interact with the doc? But you chose to set there mute waiting for him to acknowledge your weight loss. That is the kind of thing you see on a Housewives of NC recap show. Be part of the solution.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

8. Member
    I feel your pain, the waitlist around here is about 12 months. Then as soon as you see the doctor a few times the leave the practice then you get to the wait all over again. Honestly your better off going to a clinic than a true doctors office.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    No dumbass I'm not but when someone does dump 20 some acknowledgment of progress would go a long way for the future. Now that I have your attention, is your only purpose on this site is to give out smartass comments and stir crap up. Because that's all I see you post
    I agree with RB on this one.

10. Member
    Hi Mike.

11. Member
    I feel you RB, it has been a struggle to find a doctor that just doesn't recite the same crap every visit. I finally found one, he would even personally call with test results, or I could call and leave a message and he would put in a script without a visit to the office. A doctor that actually cared and listened to me! Then he retired a couple of years ago and the search goes on again to find a good doctor.

I think they are trained now to process everyone as quickly as possible to get volume, quantity not quality, because insurance pays them so little now since the ACA has come along and destroyed our healthcare system.

I'll tell you; I get better care from the NP at my local Little Clinic in Kroger than I do at the doctor's office these days.

12. Member
    Me and my doc talk about fishing.

13. Member
    Last time I sat down and talked to my family that see patients I was told that plenty GP providers have a goal of 30 patients a day. “Medi” and all the other names for .Gov insurance doesn’t pay enough to keep the doors open in anything less than a dump. It’s sad, but that’s where we are.

My doc at the military base takes weeks to get an appointment, the VA can take months. We both see Urgent Care for colds etc…the military doc visits take at least an hour of waiting, but the doc is VERY thorough when he’s in the room. I dread going on Medicare next year because the base will no longer see me for primary care. I’m already looking for a different GP and always wonder why people think all government insurance is the answer.

Congrats on the weight loss, that alone should make you feel better!

14. Member
    Remember the days when you went to get a check up and you had to strip to your draws and you got the full Monty ,I agree those days are gone .I go now and its like blood work check your pulse listen to you breath and see you next year

I have very little faith in our healthcare system.
    Ranting incoherently

16. Member
    You sat there like a bump on a log not saying a word no engagement then tried to teach him a lesson, no wonder he didn't give you a sucker, and now your mad about it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I have very little faith in our healthcare system.
    Ditto.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Me and my doc talk about fishing.
    My orthopedic surgeon had me put the live BASS event at Fork on the screen in the exam room
    And for little minnow steve the reason I didn’t say anything was I was wanting to see if he even opened the chart and looked which he didn’t. His nurse even commented when I weighed she wished she could do that

The exam nowadays is you, doc & laptop with questions read from the insurance list. Then send for bloodwork and a referral anything outside of vanilla. I have see the same guy for maybe 25 years. He has been forced to change the way doctors operate their practices.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

20. Member
    Did losing the initial 20 bring you down to a health range or do you still have a lot to go. 20 is no easy thing to do so congrats, but maybe the doc still sees a lot of room for improvement. Your BP didn't seem to awful.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast