Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I have all but quit.

Tournaments. I just can't find the desire to fish one anymore. There are so many boats out and about and it's all getting frustrating to me. I fished 2-3 last year and have not this year at all and don't think I will. I enjoy fishing still but there is a lot of pressure on the river these days. 7 days a week and year around, and I know everyone has the right and they can fish anytime they please, I certainly do but I would be lying if I didn't selfishly want a few days where I never see a boat like I did 15 + years ago. But it seems like every time I fish there is a tournament or there is one coming and there are boats everywhere. It would be like bowhunting and going to your best spot and you start seeing 4-5 guys in the trees within 50 yds of you.. kind of hard to enjoy that. Anyone else care to admit they also get annoyed with so many boats? Before you blast me, I understand it all and I am not saying people should stop fishing just so I can have my way, I am just admiting I get old and grumpy on the water these days
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    #growthesport
    Who controls John Gill?

3. Member
    Perfectly fine… no reason to explain to anyone… I love just fun fishing.. if they bite, great.. if not, I enjoy the day, take pictures of mother nature’s creations to share with people that never get the chance to get out in a boat to the wild…. Fishing to me changed when I changed my approach to it.. just enjoy the day.. beautiful sunrises or sunsets on the water.. right now with the lily pads and hyacinths starting to bloom, I find the scenery just as enjoyable or entertaining as the fishing..

and…. If they’re not eating or the wind kicks up, go put it on the trailer and go find a good fried oyster poboy and a cold beer!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    #growthesport
    lol
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

5. Member
    I certainly understand what you mean. As I got older, the tournament prep and travel just became too much work, so I quit participating in them. But I never quit fishing and just go when and where I decide. It took a year or so for me to adjust because tournament fishing gets in your blood and you have to learn to just relax and enjoy the outdoors more. When it gets busy on the water, instead of stressing out, I just take a boat ride and find a new area to fish.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    Perfectly fine… no reason to explain to anyone… I love just fun fishing.. if they bite, great.. if not, I enjoy the day, take pictures of mother nature’s creations to share with people that never get the chance to get out in a boat to the wild…. Fishing to me changed when I changed my approach to it.. just enjoy the day.. beautiful sunrises or sunsets on the water.. right now with the lily pads and hyacinths starting to bloom, I find the scenery just as enjoyable or entertaining as the fishing..

and…. If they’re not eating or the wind kicks up, go put it on the trailer and go find a good fried oyster poboy and a cold beer!!
    Amen to that. I still stop what I am doing when I am fishing to just stare at the huge cypress trees that I have seen for 30 years, and the ever so frequent bald eagles. I remember when they were not so common. Now, I see at least 2 every trip on the river. And yes, the sunrise running down the river is amazing each and every time.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    Same for me VA Bass. I grew to enjoy fishing partially due to the peace and solitude on the water. The few people you encountered were mostly nice, even sharing some of their secrets, suggestions and hot spots. Those days are gone for the most part.

8. Member
    I like to fish. I never understood the whole tournament thing, it's like comparing d***s for less money than it took you to get there. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, not serious. People that chase "the dream" are selfish and would live on disability as long as they could dump their boat in the water everyday and make a few casts.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertboyd View Post
    Same for me VA Bass. I grew to enjoy fishing partially due to the peace and solitude on the water. The few people you encountered were mostly nice, even sharing some of their secrets, suggestions and hot spots. Those days are gone for the most part.
    I still run into some very nice people on the water and I will always give way to anyone that wants to fish where I am. It just doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I have really enjoyed the fun fishing the past two years and not having to think about what pattern will be going on for the next tournament, who sees me catch fish, etc.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I like to fish. I never understood the whole tournament thing, it's like comparing d***s for less money than it took you to get there. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, not serious. People that chase "the dream" are selfish and would live on disability as long as they could dump their boat in the water everyday and make a few casts.
    a whole lot of truth in this....
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

11. Member
    I ebb and flow on them. I'll fish a year or two then take a year off. then get back in and have some fun and then fun fish for a year

try taking some time off from them.

my favorite part is the prep, practice, anticipation and camping with my friends that are fishing it as well.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    I ebb and flow on them. I'll fish a year or two then take a year off. then get back in and have some fun and then fun fish for a year

try taking some time off from them.

my favorite part is the prep, practice, anticipation and camping with my friends that are fishing it as well.
    I would say I have taken the past 2 years off. maybe 2-3 tournaments a year and it really has helped me to be a better fisherman actually.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

I heard that Osborne Landing was built back in the day to specifically host big tournaments, so tournaments have defined the current James River. Maybe do a fly-in trip up in Canada?

Generally speaking there are too many people doing everything these days, just population growth. I imagine this is how the native Americans felt when the white man showed up.

14. Member
    Guessing it's partly growing the sport and partly more people living in America than ever.

Fast search showed that there were 179 million people in this country in 1960.

226 million people in 1980.

And in 2023 we had 334 million people.

Makes me appreciate the bad weather days even more than usual for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    Tournaments. I just can't find the desire to fish one anymore. There are so many boats out and about and it's all getting frustrating to me. I fished 2-3 last year and have not this year at all and don't think I will. I enjoy fishing still but there is a lot of pressure on the river these days. 7 days a week and year around, and I know everyone has the right and they can fish anytime they please, I certainly do but I would be lying if I didn't selfishly want a few days where I never see a boat like I did 15 + years ago. But it seems like every time I fish there is a tournament or there is one coming and there are boats everywhere. It would be like bowhunting and going to your best spot and you start seeing 4-5 guys in the trees within 50 yds of you.. kind of hard to enjoy that. Anyone else care to admit they also get annoyed with so many boats? Before you blast me, I understand it all and I am not saying people should stop fishing just so I can have my way, I am just admiting I get old and grumpy on the water these days
    I feel the same way. My enjoyment of fishing has dramatically decreased over the last couple years due to the intense local pressure seemingly every time I go out. I've never been a big tournament fishermen but I was in a club and fished a few events every year doing quite well when I put in the time. But this year I've gone out once and found a reason to not take my usual spring fishing trip. And I've started taking up some new hobbies (hiking and mountain biking) since they don't cause me the frustration that fishing has. This has all happened since the pandemic. It's actually made me consider getting a small boat just to fish nontournament waters. I fish for the serenity of being in nature and enjoying the weather and the season. Fishing on a crowded lake ruins it for me. Maybe I'd enjoy fishing from a kayak on a lazy river or small lake more.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

If the only time I had to fish was on week ends, I'd probably quit. Being retired, I fish during the week, and fish a club tourney that always fishes on Thursdays, all daytime, which is very nice.

17. Member
    I’ve been the same lately. I’ve pretty much conceded our lakes here to the college and high school kids. Don’t blame them a bit would’ve loved to had something like that when I was younger. It’s just they have a lot of big tournaments around here along with the previously established team trails. I bought myself a kayak and find myself chasing river smallies most of the time now. Will see the occasional jet boat from time to time but love the serenity of uncrowded water.

18. Member
    I’m almost ready to move. Too many events here. Fish don’t get a rest till winter.

19. Member
    The nice thing about fishing is you can enjoy it at whatever level you want.
    If someone wants to chase the dream or relax and have fun good for them.
    You don't want to fish tournaments that's fine, someone else will fill your spot.
    You want to stare at the trees and plants out on the water that's good too.
    I enjoy fishing, sometimes tournaments, sometimes to relax and have fun.
    Its all good.

20. Member
    Almost no one in the barge pit the last 5 times I've been in there. Strange. Don't know where they are but Im loving it. Put some kids on mess of fish last week on spring break. It's just fishing. Go for fun. Forget the tournament drama and pressure.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast