Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question Fishing etiquette question

Your are going north on a shoreline and another boat is coming south , he’s fishing further off shore than you and you are a good several hundred yards away from each other. Both keep traveling towards each other no alters there course so when we get within talking distance, I motion I’m going to keep going on the inside he can keep his course on the outside , when we finally pass he says to me I can’t believe you did that to me and went on the inside . I replied respectfully that I did not alter my course and neither did he do what was I do to stop fishing so he could have it. Not gonna happen who do you think was correct???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

In my opinion you were correct and handled it exactly like you should have.

3. Moderator
    The way you handled it was spot on. The other boat can complain all they want but you gave them plenty of space.

4. #FRB
    One of you needs to pass on the deeper side and both should keep their course. I would discuss it with the other boater and come to an agreement where both are happy. A lot of confrontations on the water could be avoided with even minimal communication. Sounds like neither one of you were trying to cut the other person off unless one of you intentionally started fairly close to the other and started fishing towards the other.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    Pick up a 12v 150db train horn and install it under the console. Next time someone pulls up on you and acts like a dick just blast the horn and wish him good luck catching anything in the area...

You did it right.

7. Member
    I had a kayaker give me a hard time a week ago about this same thing. I told him he was off the bank and I was on my path. He replied "Typical tournament guy." It was a Tuesday afternoon and only 2 other boats on the lake so...

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    I had a kayaker give me a hard time a week ago about this same thing. I told him he was off the bank and I was on my path. He replied "Typical tournament guy." It was a Tuesday afternoon and only 2 other boats on the lake so...
    LOL gotta love the cyclists of the water.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    LOL gotta love the cyclists of the water.
    Ha!

You did exactly what I would have done.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

11. Member
    you did what we do. communication is the main answer
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Is it too late to offer a boat ramp invitation?
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

13. Member
    Might do a Search 1oz sinker!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Oncoming boat pass port side to port side.

You had the right of way; he should have altered course to accommodate your intended course without crossing your path.

It has nothing to do with etiquette, those are the rules of the road.

I guess I don't understand his problem. He knew you were fishing closer to the bank, so if he thought you were running over his fish, you had been doing so the whole time down the bank. If he didn't want to fish where your boat had been, he needed to turn around.

16. Member

17. Member
    You handled it exactly how it should have been done

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Pick up a 12v 150db train horn and install it under the console. Next time someone pulls up on you and acts like a dick just blast the horn and wish him good luck catching anything in the area...
    So ruin the fishing for the both of you? Smart.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    One of you needs to pass on the deeper side and both should keep their course. I would discuss it with the other boater and come to an agreement where both are happy. A lot of confrontations on the water could be avoided with even minimal communication. Sounds like neither one of you were trying to cut the other person off unless one of you intentionally started fairly close to the other and started fishing towards the other.
    This is what I do. I ask if they are fishing a Tx, and if they want the inside or outside. If I am fishing a Tx and I want the spot I am on, I just tell them I am staying put for a while and they can go around. I have seen some boats just turn around and head back the way they came because they had caught fish and would rather retrace than go around and fish behind me (or anyone, old adage you don't leave fish to find fish). Talking it out ahead of time saves alot of butt hurt.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

I generally, Just stop about 100-75 yrs, motor out and around 70 behind and start again........... just cuts the nosense out, that 100 yrds of fishing is not going to be a difference if I am just bopping down a shoreline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast