Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else not interested in a new Ranger with RIDE?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just don't want a bass boat with touch screen controls. There are plenty of articles of users preferring buttons over screens in modern automobiles, and several auto manufacturers started to bring the buttons back. I move around my boat a lot and just want to hit a quick button instead of navigating a display, even if that display is already on a button layout.. you still need to push on the correct part of the screen. Much easier to push the correct button on a pad instead. I was looking at trading in my 7yr old boat today and just can't do it because of RIDE. Am I the only one?

2. Member
    It’s just more crap to break. I personally would rather have a simple toggle style switch than the touch pads or the new touch screen. A replacement toggle switch or 2 is inexpensive to replace when they goes out, those touch pads and modules are very expensive when they go out. I can’t imagine what the ride system cost to replace when it takes a shit.

3. Member
    You're over thinking it. My R boat is fantastic. The touch screen is as good a touch pad. H'm now you have a backup key and switches for basic controls. You just have to accept it and get used to it. The two cons are. It takes a second to boot up when turned on, so power it up before backing into the ramp. You have a fob. I'm not responsible enough to have one more fob, so I'll figure out how to dash mount it. Too much negative shit about good products on the interweb.

4. Member
    Maybe I'm over thinking it, but let's take some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EomeT1K0-s
    - He talks how great it is to have information, like voltage, etc.. all things we typically add to our fishfinder overlay.
    - He talks about controls and shows a page with 6 buttons. A page which you have to navigate to before you even can click a button or see its status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib5J9vgC1WU
    - Talks about how great it is to see speed/rpm dashboard... We've had this for ages on our fishfinders
    - Shows engine trim and jack plate having to touch the screen control. Why would I want that over some arms on my steering wheel that I can control while I drive?
    - Shows a controls page with 7 controls... So adding whole new screen is worth removing 7 manual switches/buttons?
    - Talks about sonichub.. we've had this for ages via our fishfinders.

https://youtu.be/JEUvFpgekeg?t=1072
    - Talks about how everything is at the touch of your hand. It already was before with the switches/buttons.
    - Mentions how they still have 3 buttons for key controls like lights, livewell, bilge.

https://youtu.be/CrQkolm1w1k?t=67
    - Talks about how you can control accessories, things we were already able to do with switches/buttons.

So what did we actually gain here? Be objective. What did we gain.
    Nothing.

None of these videos actually mention something we gain.

It seems like they're trying to create a solution for boats that don't use some kind of display based fishfinder. That's not bassboats. Every bassboat has a modern fishfinder that provides most of these display features. THere is no value add in adding yet another computer/display to the boat that accomplishes those same tasks, but adds controls.

On my Z250C, the majority of my main buttons/controls are on the left side of the driver console. This is so convenient as you move throughout the boat. You have quick access to switches/controls without having to reach over the wheel or toward the side of the boat.

These things might seem cool or new, but if you actually did a usability study, you'd fine that Ranger has taken a step back.

The "other guys" have the nice buttons still, but I just don't like the pickle fork design. I've driven a boat long enough to know that eventually one of those forks is gonna get stuck on a dock or something and instead of sliding along, it's going to be a pretty violent event.
    Last edited by Magnus; 04-11-2024 at 08:48 AM.

5. Member
    I love the RIDE system. The capability to see / check that everything is online and working properly when trouble shooting is awesome. The ability, with a quick glance, to see all the important engine data is also something I've gotten used too. That said - I still ordered a Merc Monitor, just in case, but I rarely look at it. And of course there are manual buttons for the Lights, Bilge & Livewell so you can just push them if that's what you prefer.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

6. Member
    I don't like a screen or pad either. My Triton has the round touch pads which Ranger used to use as well, they aren't too bad but I still plan on swapping them out for switches.

7. Member
    I came close to buying an R boat last year. I backed off due to the “Ride System” having issues. Not a fan of it.

8. Member
    I held off replacing my 2016 520c for 3 years because of R boat and ride issues, and can say so far i am thrilled to death with my 2024 520r and the "new" ride system. I'm still getting used to it, but the more i get used to it, the more i love it. So far, zero regrets. My biggest concern was going merc after 19 years of nothing buy yammy 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair B View Post
    It’s just more crap to break. I personally would rather have a simple toggle style switch than the touch pads or the new touch screen. A replacement toggle switch or 2 is inexpensive to replace when they goes out, those touch pads and modules are very expensive when they go out. I can’t imagine what the ride system cost to replace when it takes a shit.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

10. Member
    I actually like the look of analog gauges. Anything to replicate the look and feel of a cockpit. I used to own a car that had stainless steel gauges for speedo, tech etc on my dash. I loved it.

Maybe the ability to connect to the motor using Bluetooth whenever you wanted vitals or troubleshooting info would be nice? That could be implemented without having a computer at the dash I would think.

keeping things simple so I spend less downtime and more time fishing is where I land.

11. Member
    The Ride System is the #1 reason I did not trade into a new R boat last year. I did not trust it. There is no real value in it for me and it could be a expensive repair five years down the road.

12. Member
    I like my old push button Ranger. Only problem is when the buttons start sticking, finding replacement switches can be fun.
    Going to look into some type of toggle switch for all of them. I know Ranger doesn’t have the push type anymore.

I’ve had it for 2 years and I can honestly say the best day I will have with the ride system is the first day I no longer own it.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

14. Member
    I'd love to have a 520R but I'll just stick with my "simple" '19 with only 95 hours on it.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Picked mine up from the dealer yesterday after having to RIDE repair kit installed. As someone has previously mentioned it does take a bit to boot up but so far today no problems. The dealer said they have upgraded it on about 30 boats any only one has continued to be an issue . My manual ignition has always worked and I haven’t worried about getting stuck out on the lake. That being said I wouldn’t worry about the digital switches if you really want the boat.
    2022 z520r

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Maybe I'm over thinking it, but let's take some examples:

- He talks how great it is to have information, like voltage, etc.. all things we typically add to our fishfinder overlay.
    - He talks about controls and shows a page with 6 buttons. A page which you have to navigate to before you even can click a button or see its status.

- Talks about how great it is to see speed/rpm dashboard... We've had this for ages on our fishfinders
    - Shows engine trim and jack plate having to touch the screen control. Why would I want that over some arms on my steering wheel that I can control while I drive?
    - Shows a controls page with 7 controls... So adding whole new screen is worth removing 7 manual switches/buttons?
    - Talks about sonichub.. we've had this for ages via our fishfinders.

- Talks about how everything is at the touch of your hand. It already was before with the switches/buttons.
    - Mentions how they still have 3 buttons for key controls like lights, livewell, bilge.

- Talks about how you can control accessories, things we were already able to do with switches/buttons.

So what did we actually gain here? Be objective. What did we gain.
    Nothing.

None of these videos actually mention something we gain.

It seems like they're trying to create a solution for boats that don't use some kind of display based fishfinder. That's not bassboats. Every bassboat has a modern fishfinder that provides most of these display features. THere is no value add in adding yet another computer/display to the boat that accomplishes those same tasks, but adds controls.

On my Z250C, the majority of my main buttons/controls are on the left side of the driver console. This is so convenient as you move throughout the boat. You have quick access to switches/controls without having to reach over the wheel or toward the side of the boat.

These things might seem cool or new, but if you actually did a usability study, you'd fine that Ranger has taken a step back.

The "other guys" have the nice buttons still, but I just don't like the pickle fork design. I've driven a boat long enough to know that eventually one of those forks is gonna get stuck on a dock or something and instead of sliding along, it's going to be a pretty violent event.
    I really struggled with wanting a new Ranger and the RIDE system also.

What did we gain? Gained a few things for sure.

I had a '15 and a '18 521C, ran those 2 boats for 9 years total and now have a 521R. So here's my 2 cents worth .

To be honest, I can't remember most gauges that were even on those boats or if they even worked when I sold them. I never looked at my speedo, I think it was there, I have SOG on my graph. I ran out of fuel once watching that gauge and never looked at it again.
    Is there a water PSI? Can't remember, I do remember my Atlas gauge, very handy and I liked my oil level gauge for the 2 stroke Mercury, they were both accurate gauges, unlike most fuel and speedo gauges.

Everything on my C boats I watched through my Mercury Smart Craft gauge. Thank goodness for that gauge, engine temp, fuel level, water PSI, hours etc.

The RIDE system on my 521R, I like it, its pretty simple. I could be wrong but on my 15 and 18 C's I never seen a fuse panel anywhere. The R boats have a nice fuse panel in the day box and the RIDE system will show any blown fuses. Another thing I like about the added buttons is in case of a failure in the RIDE system is I have lights, both bilge pumps and aerators. Failure in the pads on my C's would mean no functions for those accessories. The RIDE system and keypads both can break but with the RIDE you have back ups. I know we all added a key to our boats.

Your right, who would trim the motor and plate on that screen, like you said its not in a great location but it sure cleans up the dash without all the in accurate analog gauges.
    And having an accurate tach on the RIDE is neat if you want to watch that without adding a $700 vessel view to view through your graph or just watch the RPM's on your smart craft.

I understand not liking the new system but I sure wouldn't let it deter me from buying a new Ranger if I wanted one for the above reasons I stated.

Now, if I was going to buy a new R series I wouldn't get one without the Smart Craft gauge, mine came with one and wouldn't have bought it without it.

For me, I got rid of gauges I didn't care to have, got backup functions for essential features in case the system goes out and a 5 year warranty on the RIDE system.
    If it quits working after the warranty period, I probably won't even fix it but I'll be able to fish.

17. Member

Toggle switch replacement panel

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    I like my old push button Ranger. Only problem is when the buttons start sticking, finding replacement switches can be fun.
    Going to look into some type of toggle switch for all of them. I know Ranger doesn’t have the push type anymore.
    Not sure if you have the same push button switches as I had on my 96 488VS. Like you buttons were sticking and new ones no longer available.
    Had a new one made out of starboard and custom switch covers on Carling switches. Company is in Cupertino; they specialize in custom panels and switch covers for Jeeps. I brought the old assembly and switch plate over to them to copy. Prices on the switches and covers were similar to New Wire Marine but the switch plate was MUCH less expensive than NWM.

Here's their website address and phone number.

otrattw.net
    (408)252-1544
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    I don’t like the new touchscreens either, mainly because of the concern of having an issue and downtime. I wouldn’t be able to troubleshoot or fix it myself and not a fan of having to rely on Cabela’s. Outside of them the closest dealer is over 2.5 hours or so away.

19. Member
    Ranger should have order options ride or no ride .
    CJ
    200 Evinrude G2 Ho On R93vs Ranger
    2023 Ranger 520R 250 Merc Proxs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veryspeedy View Post
    Ranger should have order options ride or no ride .
    100% agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast