Advise. Moving bunks on a trailer.

So last fall I picked up a 1998 TR21. The previous owner got an almost new trailer to put under it, but it's not for the correct hull.

The trailer pulls great. Dual axel with disc brakes. From what he told me it was actually for a deck boat.

Looking at the bunks they are close, but not quite right, so the boat pushes the bow to the left of the roller almost every time.

I plan to jack the boat up slightly to get the weight off the bunks, then reset the bunks correctly.
    I may even have to cut and reweld the supports in the correct place.
    I plan to do the 2 "bottom" or "inner" bunks first, then the outers after that.

Last fall I took pictures of a few Triton trailers that guys in my club have. Factory they put the outer bunks more in.
    One friend had a custom aluminum trailer built for his 04 and they put the outer bunk out farther than original. That orientation is similar to how this trailer is set up currently.

My question is this.... which is better? If I have to move the bunks anyway, it's no big deal to go either way.
    Should I move them in similar to "factory" or is the outer set up actually better?
    I've actually gotten to load 2 TR20's, one on a stock/factory trailer and my friend with the custom trailer and it felt virtually the same.
    Did they do it for weight distribution while driving?

Also... how close to the rear trailer frame to the bunk can I get? This trailer sits pretty dang high right now! I'd like to drop it even a couple inches if i can.

Thanks guys!
    1998 TR21 with 225 Opti 0G912442

2. Member
    Not sure which is better in general……but I would position the bunks where Triton had them placed…..because their engineers designed & laid up the hull.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    I put a tandem Triton trailer off a newer 18' under my 02 TR19. Boat did not sit right on the bunks. I cut off all the welded brackets and replaced with adjustable ones so I could adjust height and angle of the bunks. Prepped the bare metal properly, sprayed with 2 coats of Eastwood epoxy primer, sanded and sprayed with Raptor Liner
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDood View Post
    So last fall I picked up a 1998 TR21. The previous owner got an almost new trailer to put under it, but it's not for the correct hull.

The trailer pulls great. Dual axel with disc brakes. From what he told me it was actually for a deck boat.

Looking at the bunks they are close, but not quite right, so the boat pushes the bow to the left of the roller almost every time.

I plan to jack the boat up slightly to get the weight off the bunks, then reset the bunks correctly.
    I may even have to cut and reweld the supports in the correct place.
    I plan to do the 2 "bottom" or "inner" bunks first, then the outers after that.

Last fall I took pictures of a few Triton trailers that guys in my club have. Factory they put the outer bunks more in.
    One friend had a custom aluminum trailer built for his 04 and they put the outer bunk out farther than original. That orientation is similar to how this trailer is set up currently.

My question is this.... which is better? If I have to move the bunks anyway, it's no big deal to go either way.
    Should I move them in similar to "factory" or is the outer set up actually better?
    I've actually gotten to load 2 TR20's, one on a stock/factory trailer and my friend with the custom trailer and it felt virtually the same.
    Did they do it for weight distribution while driving?

Also... how close to the rear trailer frame to the bunk can I get? This trailer sits pretty dang high right now! I'd like to drop it even a couple inches if i can.

Thanks guys!
    I just replaced bunk hardware with : Ultimate Aluminum and Stainless Steel Swivel Top Bunk Bracket - 10 inch 2x2 kit (boattrailerparts.com). It worked out well, easily installed and adjusted.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    I just replaced bunk hardware with : Ultimate Aluminum and Stainless Steel Swivel Top Bunk Bracket - 10 inch 2x2 kit (boattrailerparts.com). It worked out well, easily installed and adjusted.
    Those look pretty slick. I may have to build something like that, as my tubing isn't quite that size.
    1998 TR21 with 225 Opti 0G912442

6. Member
    the bunks on a bass boat need to be welded bolt on bunks dont work you will spend your life adjusting them. i have sold replacement trailers for thirty years the bunk position is different on all boats a custom fit is the best because if the bunks arent properly aligned you could damage your hull. close dont cut it .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    the bunks on a bass boat need to be welded bolt on bunks dont work you will spend your life adjusting them. i have sold replacement trailers for thirty years the bunk position is different on all boats a custom fit is the best because if the bunks arent properly aligned you could damage your hull. close dont cut it .
    Read my above post. Zero issues with adjustable brackets. Use a digital angle finder and you will be able to set bunks perfect. Didn't even have to adjust mine
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Read my above post. Zero issues with adjustable brackets. Use a digital angle finder and you will be able to set bunks perfect. Didn't even have to adjust mine
    Also no issues with adjustable brackets, at least with the Ultimate Brackets I used. I raised boat up off trailer and blocked off to pull old bunks and hardware. Slid new bunks under hull, and pinned them in place with a floor jack while tightening up.

My trailer was a Rolls Axle, with the only remaining component being the aluminum I beam frame. Replaced the short flexing aluminum tongue, both axles of the no travel suspension, the rubix cube bunk adjustment hardware and bunks, and the unusual trailer jack set up.