Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 491vs 96 model

I have a 491 vs nice boat but motor is a evinrude vindicator that has a lot of hours
    thinking about a repower instead of new boat.
    So does it make sense to repower or just get a newer boat.?
    Was thinking about a Suzuki 4 stroke. I love the boat it’s in amazing shape everything works
    Just curious if y’all think it makes sense.
    J. D

2. Member
    I had the same boat I'd just watch the motor for sale classified and buy a new used motor

~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

If you love the boat, for me it would be to repower.

2009 ELITE 210

4. Member
    There’s one simple rule when considering a repower on an older [older than, say, 10 years] boat: from an asset valuation standpoint, you gotta keep it for at least another 10 years after repowering. The new engine has a significantly lower market value when attached to an old/er boat, but as all depreciation does, that “hit” levels out over time.

Really and truly that's a question that only you can answer.

If you LOVE the boat I would do it in a minute.

7. Member
    I would make sure everything is structurally sound, and if so, repower. With the price of new and used boats, a repower can save you a lot of money. Plus, you don't have to worry about what the last guy did to it. With the current state of the market, I can't imagine doing anything but repowering, unless I come into some money.

8. Member
    If no problems with the motor. Why not run it until there is problems. But it’s your money your choice.

9. Member
    It only makes sense if you plan to keep the boat long term. If you’re going to sell or trade within 5 years I’d say no.

10. Member
    I did a 1998 Triton 4 years ago with new 4 stroke Merc. No regrets!

11. Member
    Friend repowered his 1994 492vs with a leftover Suzuki 200 4 stroke. Had a Suzuki 225 two stoke which was still going. Fuel consumption cut in half. Nice motor, boat runs great.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

12. Member
    In 2016, I started a thread asking owners of older boats how much they would spend keeping an older boat. Some of the answers surprised me. I'm 6 years into fixing my 2002 Pantera III on retirement money. I save enough to do one thing at a time. Now I know a lot of you will say that's a long time and it is. But between saving money, the covid years and a major stroke I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping this is the year I get her done.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    There’s one simple rule when considering a repower on an older [older than, say, 10 years] boat: from an asset valuation standpoint, you gotta keep it for at least another 10 years after repowering. The new engine has a significantly lower market value when attached to an old/er boat, but as all depreciation does, that “hit” levels out over time.
    100%. It works out great if you want to keep the boat, but if you have any desire to get a new one forget it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankinh20 View Post
    I have a 491 vs nice boat but motor is a evinrude vindicator that has a lot of hours
    thinking about a repower instead of new boat.
    So does it make sense to repower or just get a newer boat.?
    Was thinking about a Suzuki 4 stroke. I love the boat it’s in amazing shape everything works
    Just curious if y’all think it makes sense.
    J. D
    I am almost in same position as you. I have a 1995 Ranger 391XT. It has a 150 Johnson Fastrike on it right now so it is underhorsepowered by 50. I'm trying to decide on what to do. The boat is in great condition right now and everything trolling motor and electronics are already upgraded. Just need the motor to complete the package to really modern. Hard to decide on paying that much money to upgrade to new 200 4 stroke or get new boat.

If you plan on keeping the boat a long time then buying a new motor might be something to consider. Past that you might lose money on it all if you sell within a few years. You would at least have peace of mind with a warranty on the motor.

Occasionally good deals pop.up on used motors with transferable warranty also. That is another option.

16. Member
    If you love the old Ranger hull, which we all know are some of the best, repower. If you want better storage, etc, new boat. Only you can make the call.

I repowered my 96 Basscat in 2013 with a new Merc pro XS200, best fishing/boating money I've ever spent. I love my boat and have it rigged the way I want it to be. Added the new Merc and never looked back.

18. Member
    I would keep running the vindicator and save up to repower when it goes, those are good motors. If you do repower and decide to go with a 4 stroke I would most certainly not get a Suzuki, a Yamaha SHO would be my first choice, or a used 2 stroke Mercury.

19. Member
    I have a 1994 492VS and I will repower when the time comes. Love the boat, fishes like a tank and never let me down. Your boat is the same as mine, just single console....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

20. Member
    Both repowering an existing boat and purchasing a new(er) one come with their own sets of pros and cons. Ultimately, the decision rests with you. However, I can provide an alternative perspective from my experience last spring. I parted with my 2001 Ranger 522DVX after 22 years of ownership and opted for a 2022 Vexus VX20, a choice that has brought me no regrets. I understand the emotional value of long-term boat ownership, I remember ordering my 522DVX in late winter of 2000, which at that time, had everything I needed for smallmouth bass fishing in the waterways I visit in NW Wisconsin. Over the years, as technology progressed and my fishing methods became more refined to include finesse techniques and incorporating sophisticated fishing electronics, I recognized the impracticality of forming an emotional attachment to an inanimate object like my Ranger 522DVX, compared to the utility of having a superior fishing platform.

The prospect of investing substantial capital to integrate all the latest technology and fishing gear available on my 2021 Vexus AVX 1980 led me to conclude that to consistently find and catch trophy smallmouth bass in vast waters like Chequamegon Bay, I needed to upgrade my fishing platform. Extensive research and demo test rides revealed that the Vexus VX20 was the optimal fit for my angling requirements. While preferences vary greatly in fishing styles and techniques, for me, opting for a new boat proved to be the most cost-effective strategy over retrofitting my 2001 Ranger 522DVX. Despite this view possibly being unconventional, I've found immense joy fishing from the VX20, more so than in the past decade of fishing with my previous boat.

Good luck with your decision and tight lines!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast