Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Watson follow-up interview on LBL...

Suprised no thread on this... Watson's "response" interview on LBL dropped yesterday. Not much new info really, more of re-hash of MLF drama for the past few years, repeating of stuff from previous podcasts, etc. Some talk of comparing fines (or lack thereof) of Becker, Shuffield, and Sprague compared to Watson's ban. They did talk about constant MLF changes are costing anglers money on the sponsor side, and some discussion of MLF trying to strong-arm FLW sponsors when they bought out (most of this is well known). Also some interesting talk regarding Redcrest and Classic, and some behind the scenes stuff with some of MLF personnel. Long, but interesting enough to listen still...

For the TLDR crowd... Duckett has basically f$&cked up MLF to no end and needs to get the boot.

2. Member
    Boyd is a fun figurehead to hammer on, and MLF certainly hasn't done a great job after taking so much talent, but I don't think replacing him changes much. At the end of the day, bass fishing fans are more loyal to the BASS shield then they are to individual anglers, and I don't know if anything could've changed that. This idea that you are going to get a huge non-tournament fishing audience with a bunch of tweaks and rule changes was more of a prayer than something actually accomplishable imo.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    He didn't give up any details, which is why I think it was quiet. Lot different than that first podcast before start of season.

Seems odd that after General Tire told him to tone it down he still ramped it up with the FBD gear.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Boyd is a fun figurehead to hammer on, and MLF certainly hasn't done a great job after taking so much talent, but I don't think replacing him changes much. At the end of the day, bass fishing fans are more loyal to the BASS shield then they are to individual anglers, and I don't know if anything could've changed that. This idea that you are going to get a huge non-tournament fishing audience with a bunch of tweaks and rule changes was more of a prayer than something actually accomplishable imo.
    I disagree 100%. When they first formed the BPT I a fan. Hated the way the split was, but just thought it is what it is this new league could be really good. Boyd and managements actions and attitude is what turned me off from it. Constant bashing BASS, livewells are evil commercials, Redcrest is the biggest and best Championship in bass fishing before they ever even actually had one, etc...etc. I'd bet this is probably the case for a lot of fishing fans. It may be to far gone, but getting rid of Boyd would be a great start at at least trying to right the ship.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I disagree 100%. When they first formed the BPT I a fan. Hated the way the split was, but just thought it is what it is this new league could be really good. Boyd and managements actions and attitude is what turned me off from it. Constant bashing BASS, livewells are evil commercials, Redcrest is the biggest and best Championship in bass fishing before they ever even actually had one, etc...etc. I'd bet this is probably the case for a lot of fishing fans. It may be to far gone, but getting rid of Boyd would be a great start at at least trying to right the ship.
    I concur, I was indifferent to the whole split and actually thought that BASS would dim a little with the star power gone but in the end there would be two good leagues to follow. I quickly lost interest in BPT due to the drama, I have enough of that already and look to fishing as an escape.

6. Member
    Duckett surely is the lightning rod, but all of these decisions are also being made by, or agreed by, Klein as well.

Duckett is just seems to like the attention, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    I was listening to Ike and his wife the other day. They were talking about New and Watson's punishments. Becky was talking about knowing the in's and out on the MFL side of things more than BASS so she focused on Watson more. She stated it's funny that Duckett gets all the hate because he isn't the sole guy making the decisions behind the scenes. I'm guessing because he is seen as the face of the organization. Just found that interesting.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Bassin View Post
    I was listening to Ike and his wife the other day. They were talking about New and Watson's punishments. Becky was talking about knowing the in's and out on the MFL side of things more than BASS so she focused on Watson more. She stated it's funny that Duckett gets all the hate because he isn't the sole guy making the decisions behind the scenes. I'm guessing because he is seen as the face of the organization. Just found that interesting.
    He doesn't mind being the punching bag. Kind of the deal with all sports, the commissioners take all the grief to take some heat off the owners more or less.

9. Member
    Boyd's the whipping boy for sure. I suspect this angler committee that is in place will be the check and balance on changes. It has been disappointing but they were tryin to appeal to everyone and then realized that weren't winning over "everyone" so they went back to their roots if you will.
    The payouts are there and the rumors guys aren't getting paid (at least on BPT) never really gained steamed and fizzled out. I think some of the changes to the coverage were warranted. Five days was a little much. I like the current format and as debated their coverage smoke the BASS coverage hands down.
    As to Watson, you will continue to follow him for the golden nugget that isn't coming. I've never found him entertaining so I didn't watch either rant once he got his hand slapped. Seems like he could work his way back through the opens but there are limited spots with some fierce competition.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

10. Member
    I like Watson but he is the wrong going public. In the real world if you go public you will be fired. Basically what happened. I also listened to Ike’s podcast and they don’t condone or defend him. But they talked about companies losing money with ffs and the fishermen are getting together because they don’t want it. We will see.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    I like Watson but he is the wrong going public. In the real world if you go public you will be fired. Basically what happened. I also listened to Ike’s podcast and they don’t condone or defend him. But they talked about companies losing money with ffs and the fishermen are getting together because they don’t want it. We will see.
    Come on, they really think FFS is the bad guy for tournament orgs losing money? Tournament orgs have came and went pretty much since the start of bass fishing. If Ike really said it though it isn't too surprising. Spend the whole offseason pushing FFS baits and giving boat tours of his FFS setup, couple bad tournaments and its the devil once again

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I suspect this angler committee that is in place will be the check and balance on changes.

Riighhhtttt

13. Member
    Come on, they really think FFS is the bad guy for tournament orgs losing money? Tournament orgs have came and went pretty much since the start of bass fishing. If Ike really said it though it isn't too surprising. Spend the whole offseason pushing FFS baits and giving boat tours of his FFS setup, couple bad tournaments and its the devil once again
    I think the "losing money" was across the industry, not the tournament originations.. I know Andy Morgan was talking about it on his IG post last week..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro855 View Post
    I think the "losing money" was across the industry, not the tournament originations.. I know Andy Morgan was talking about it on his IG post last week..
    I forget who said it on here, but it will always make me laugh, "the industry needs you to overbuy lures that aren't as effective!"

Just look at the lake fork event, glidebaits and jerkbaits were major players and those are some of the most expensive baits out there. Not every event is going to be a minnow shaking deal and that technique will fade over time just like every hot technique does.

15. Member
    I bet Watson gets banned for life from MLF.
    Why fish the opens when he could go to NPFL?

I forget who said it on here, but it will always make me laugh, "the industry needs you to overbuy lures that aren't as effective!"

Just look at the lake fork event, glidebaits and jerkbaits were major players and those are some of the most expensive baits out there. Not every event is going to be a minnow shaking deal and that technique will fade over time just like every hot technique does.
    Those lures are effective which is why they have always sold so many. Most don’t buy 15 of the same crankbait because they didn’t work. However if you find a technique that is much more efficient and effective, you will leave the older techniques behind because they aren’t keeping you competitive. Not trying to be argumentative but personally I searched my tackle warehouse purchases over the last year and it’s completely different than even 3-4 years ago. I buy much less in the neighborhood of flipping and cranking, spinnerbaiting type stuff not because they don’t still work, but because there are many times they aren’t as efficient and I will catch them better in competition with my scope and many times those lures aren’t effective for chasing fish I can see on it. They have their time to shine but I have spoke with my two local shops just to get their perspective. They are taking a hit on lure sales overall. Is it all because of FFS, I don’t know.

Not saying the jighead and minnow won’t “fade” but it’s not a far stretch to say that lures that excel while using FFS are going to change the landscape. I think the only question is how much of the landscape will it change, which is to be determined. It will be regional most likely as well. Most of my lakes average 60+’ deep. Some deeper. It’s effecting lure sales here according to owners of tackle shops.

Again, I write off most “sky is falling” stuff and I don’t think it’s the case here. But I think it would be wise for all involved to at least look at these type issues through the lense of data. IF and it’s a big if, many tackle companies were to die or have to lay off a bunch of people because of FFS affecting sales, I would probably take a harsher stance against it competitively.

Not everyone that buys artificial lures, is a tourney angler, but tourney anglers do buy a crap ton of tackle.. This will all play out and we will see if it’s actually happening or not. If it is, it will be a battle of wallets and sponsor dollars on the tourney trails

Also, anyone who didn’t know Boyd duckett was like this, probably hasn’t paid much attention in the last 5 years lol

17. Member
    Watson made the point that the constant change in format was costing him money with sponsors. As a fan I have had a hard time keeping up with MLF and I consider myself a major fan of competitive fishing. I still don’t understand the made for TV events versus the regular tournies etc. The constant change and different formats sure confused me. I can see how sponsors would see less value because of the confusion and how this would frustrate anglers who are basically independent businesses separate from MLF.

i still think he cut his own throat with the barbs against MLF management. He could have handled it differently and still got his points across and continued to have a tournament fishing platform to promote his business/brand.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 04-09-2024 at 03:19 PM.

That mean old Watson. How dare he have an opinion. Just because he's paid a ton of money I to MLF in entry fees, buy ins and fines shouldn't give him an inside, firsthand view of it all.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    Boyd's the whipping boy for sure. I suspect this angler committee that is in place will be the check and balance on changes. It has been disappointing but they were tryin to appeal to everyone and then realized that weren't winning over "everyone" so they went back to their roots if you will.
    The payouts are there and the rumors guys aren't getting paid (at least on BPT) never really gained steamed and fizzled out. I think some of the changes to the coverage were warranted. Five days was a little much. I like the current format and as debated their coverage smoke the BASS coverage hands down.
    As to Watson, you will continue to follow him for the golden nugget that isn't coming. I've never found him entertaining so I didn't watch either rant once he got his hand slapped. Seems like he could work his way back through the opens but there are limited spots with some fierce competition.
    Wheeler is on the angler committee and said during last weeks BTL interview the committee was never notified of the suspension, and they have no say in the matter regarding rule enforcement. They can bring up angler discontent and that’s it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    That mean old Watson. How dare he have an opinion. Just because he's paid a ton of money I to MLF in entry fees, buy ins and fines shouldn't give him an inside, firsthand view of it all.
    Mark, what do you think would happen if you used social media to trash Bass Champs? Do you think they'd still let you fish it? Im asking a serious question.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast