Floating, weight transfer jerkbait?

Manufacturers websites are lacking, any high quality, weight transfer castable floating jerkbaits?

Last edited by Mark Perry; 04-08-2024 at 08:05 AM.

Curious as to why you want it to " float " and not suspend on sink ?
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 04-08-2024 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post

Ripping them over submerged grass etc is pretty popular.

5. Member
    Fishing in and around brush is when I like a floater. Lose less jerkbaits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Ripping them over submerged grass etc is pretty popular.
    I can see that ,,, but for myself I would prefer a suspending jerkbait to stay just above the grass or use a rattletrap style bait to actually rip out of the grass ,,,,,, but to each their own
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 04-08-2024 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Fishing in and around brush is when I like a floater. Lose less jerkbaits.
    I fish one often in standing timber but not brush ,, I can see your point but,,,It's not for me ,,, floating or not jerkbaits hang up way to much for me to try fishing one in brush or laydowns ,,, I would have to have the lure retriever mounted to the rod

8. Member
    In the NW Wisconsin waters I frequent during early spring; I often employ a one-two combination on the expansive shallow weed flats. From my experience, rattle baits are ideal for initially "sanitizing" an area by targeting active pike, as they can be rigged with a short 12" shock leader of 40# RIO Wire Bite Tippet without affecting their performance. Subsequently, I switch to Megabass Vision 110 R Hi-Float and OSP Varuna 110 F lures to entice the remaining active smallmouth bass, since the Wire Bite Tippet tends to hinder their movement. However, when aiming for trophy pike in these same areas, I prefer using larger jerkbaits like the Megabass Kanata Ayu and OSP Rudra 130 F to enhance visual attraction for the pike in the cold-water segment of the season.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

9. Member
    The Jackall Rerange casts really well. They come with pretty stout hooks, so you could change to lighter hooks and split rings to make it a floater.
    I sometimes remove the middle hook completely and balance the bait from there. I use those on practice and fun days to help with the slime on the grass where I often fish.
    That also makes one less hook to stick into my fingers when removing small fish. (I seem to get that a lot) lol
    Come tournament time, I stay with the 3 hook version... just to be sure.

10. Member
    A little of this changes everything throughout the day.

Round Lead Wire Spools | Cabela's (cabelas.com)

Ever heard of a Rebel/Rapala minnow or Bomber Long-A? All other crankbaits float. Shouldn't be such a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
    Ever heard of a Rebel/Rapala minnow or Bomber Long-A? All other crankbaits float. Shouldn't be such a shocker.
    Never said it was a " shocker " and yes I have heard of those baits but never fished or owned any of them ,,, the reason I asked was maybe I could learn something new or a new way to do things

Use them to keep the bait 0-2 ft deep fishing clean banks and docks and during the shad spawn. When around cover I'll use a fluke or trick worm.

Never said it was a " shocker " and yes I have heard of those baits but never fished or owned any of them ,,, the reason I asked was maybe I could learn something new or a new way to do things
    Floating minnow baits are great for use over weeds, especially if they have a weigh transfer system.

The weight transfer system allows for long accurate casts. When in the water, the bait will back up slightly when paused, as the tail of the bait will be more buoyant than the front of the bait when the weight is transferred forward.

This allow the bait to move clear of weeds, grass, or anything that may foul the bait.

15. Member
    An Original Rapala F11G (gold) is killer in the prespawn (~50-65 water temps) mornings in our clear water. I usually target silted/dark-bottom inlet areas that have some of the slowest slopes in the glacial lakes here. Work them as abrupt as you can, with the least forward movement. It's almost a topwater because they float up so quickly, but smashing them back under is a decent trigger.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

16. Member
    An Original Rapala F11G (gold) is killer in the prespawn (~50-65 water temps) mornings in our clear water. I usually target silted/dark-bottom inlet areas that have some of the slowest slopes in the glacial lakes here. Work them as abrupt as you can, with the least forward movement. It's almost a topwater because they float up so quickly, but smashing them back under is a decent trigger. Downside: they don't cast worth beans, especially in the wind.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Spro 115 is a floater.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Spro 115 is a floater.
    that looks good