Thread: Hard Case Paint

Hard Case Paint

Has anyone here chosen the hard case paint option for their Vexus? I was curious to see how you like it versus the flake. My boat will be stored in the water outside and from what I have read this seems to hold up better for UV fading, scratches etc.

2. Member
    The hard case paint on the AVX boats i find very delicate and easy to scratch. I don't know if i would put it on a glass boat.

3. Member
    I have it on a VX21, seems to react the same as automobile paint, no better or worse. For the record, I do not fish in a lot of standing timber or brush that would touch the boat. If a rock hits it while trailering it chips just like your vehicle does.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubrail View Post
    I have it on a VX21, seems to react the same as automobile paint, no better or worse. For the record, I do not fish in a lot of standing timber or brush that would touch the boat. If a rock hits it while trailering it chips just like your vehicle does.
    Thanks. I will be fishing in similar type of water in Keowee and I likely won't trailer it much since it will be in the water so the longevity from UV exposure is what would be the selling point for me. Do you like you finish or would you go with the pool flake if you had to do it over again?

Also what dealer did you use? I am probably going to be about 1 hour or so from the north Georgia border.

5. Member
    I wouldn’t let the paint or gel coat make my decision personally, as long as I liked the colors either finish works. Purchased mine from 72 Marine.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubrail View Post
    I wouldn’t let the paint or gel coat make my decision personally, as long as I liked the colors either finish works. Purchased mine from 72 Marine.
    Thanks.

I live in Florida like you, so the biggest thing would be the UV exposure. I have the hard case paint. To be honest I prefer the look of the metal flake, but I do know how bad it will fade if it's not maintained with protection. The reason I have the hard case, is that was all Vexus offered at that time. And as mentioned above it's just like maintaining a car or truck finish. Mine is garaged when not in use, so I cannot give an honest opinion on fade, but I do think it won't be as bad. I had my boat ceramic sealed the first week I owned it and that finish is still holding.
    2021 Vexus VX20, Yamaha 250 SHO

I had the AVX with hard case paint. Not a fan. I would go gel coat all day. Gel also looks Waaay better.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Has anyone here chosen the hard case paint option for their Vexus? I was curious to see how you like it versus the flake. My boat will be stored in the water outside and from what I have read this seems to hold up better for UV fading, scratches etc.
    I have a 2020 VX20 and I can't tell any difference in the paint today from when I bought it. Plus if the boat or trailer needs to be repaired you can take to any body shop. The hard case paint is sprayed on just like car paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I had the AVX with hard case paint. Not a fan. I would go gel coat all day. Gel also looks Waaay better.
    I don’t think the issue with the paint on the AVX’s is a Hard Case Paint issue. It’s DuPont Imron, the same stuff they paint jets with so plenty tough.

The issue is paint on an aluminum hull. I doubt the paint formulation has anything to do with it.

Having said that, if I were going to spend the money for a VXs 20 it would be gel coat. I like sparkles

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spell173 View Post
    The hard case paint on the AVX boats i find very delicate and easy to scratch. I don't know if i would put it on a glass boat.
    The paint on my AVX boat is my only dislike, otherwise I like everything else about the boat. It looks great when new, but scratches very easily after touching anything. On fiberglass boats you can get a polyflake or non polyflake gelcoat. Totally different than the aluminum boat paint.....

12. Member
    I looked at a VX21 poly flake and hard case paint VX21. The hard case paint boat was much more appealing and made an offer on it but was refused. Now that I’m reading this thread about the hard case paint I’m kinda glad they didn’t accept my offer.

13. Member
    Paint is paint no matter what kind of fancy name they wanna put on it. Paint is not near as durable as gel coat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Paint is paint no matter what kind of fancy name they wanna put on it. Paint is not near as durable as gel coat.
    I would have to disagree with that. Let the wind or if you accidentally do it yourself run your Vexus VX with a gel coat up against a dock or standing timber hard enough and it will crack your gel coat. The rub rail will not stop that. Do the exact same thing in a Vexus VX with hard case paint and all you get is a mark on the rub rail. I'll take hard case any day plus with a little care it will never fade no mater how much sun it gets. Gel coats will eventually fade no mater how much you wax them unless they are kept indoors and only on the water for short periods through out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    I totally agree with you. My last few glass boats looked liked they came off the show room floor 10 plus years later. They are stored inside and wiped down after every trip. My vehicles are all garage kept and although they still look good the boats always looked much better. It’s why I prefer gel coat.
    There is a reason Vexus started offering Gelcoat on the VX series boats. It’s what folks wants.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,