Thread: Thermostat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    There’s no pictures.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Author is no longer a member and has removed his pictures. If someone else does a how-to on the strainer, I'll be glad to update the FAQ link.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMaryland View Post
    There’s no pictures.
    It's the fitting right here:
    20240402_223835.jpg

Loctite 567 Thread Sealant is the pipe dope the manual calls out to use on the fitting.

Replace the zip tie with a radiused cable tie pulled down gutentight.

5. Member
    Double post

6. Member
    Josh , Thanks So Much. Is There 2 Strainers or just the (1)?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just the one... and here's an updated "How To":

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...4#post13460144

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Cannot Say Enough Thanks and Appreciate All The Help.

Mike

Hey, my friend has a 225 opti... replaced thermostats with after market....
    They warm up to 130 but when running ( water temp 44) the temp goes down to 90 degrees

IS THIS BAD to run an opti that cold?
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 Pro XS, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toonedin View Post
    Hey, my friend has a 225 opti... replaced thermostats with after market....
    They warm up to 130 but when running ( water temp 44) the temp goes down to 90 degrees

IS THIS BAD to run an opti that cold?
    On plane running temperatures dont matter as long as the motor comes up to 120-130 at idle.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    On plane running temperatures dont matter as long as the motor comes up to 120-130 at idle.
    Really? With all the heat you're dumping into the pistons, my intuition would have said the on plane temps would be more important. Cold temps =smaller bores, lots of power = big expanded hot pistons. Put the two together and it sounds like a recipe for a scuff.

How is that not the case?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joco0101 View Post
    Really? With all the heat you're dumping into the pistons, my intuition would have said the on plane temps would be more important. Cold temps =smaller bores, lots of power = big expanded hot pistons. Put the two together and it sounds like a recipe for a scuff.

How is that not the case?
    1. Yes really.
    2. Because that is how the cooling system was designed to operate.

Once the poppet valve opens (on plane) the thermostats are no longer controlling the temperature of the motor.

13. Member
    1. Yes really.

Once the poppet valve opens (on plane) the thermostats are no longer controlling the temperature of the motor.
    Yep.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    1. Yes really.

Well, I learned something today. I'll have to go look at my manual and wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

15. Member
    As Savage said, engine cooling system is only under thermostatic control when the poppet is closed. Once the poppet opens thermostats are, as Don says, just along for the ride. This is why you should ensure coolant temp reaches at least 130° before accelerating.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    As Savage said, engine cooling system is only under thermostatic control when the poppet is closed. Once the poppet opens thermostats are, as Don says, just along for the ride. This is why you should ensure coolant temp reaches at least 130° before accelerating.
    We also have to remember that the temp sensors are only measuring the temperature of the passing water (NOT the temperature of the cylinder liners or sleeves). At WOT, that pump is easily pushing more than 30 gallons per minute through the system (and only so much heat is conducted into that cooling water as it blows past the sleeves and out the exit circuit of the cooling system).

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    We also have to remember that the temp sensors are only measuring the temperature of the passing water (NOT the temperature of the cylinder liners or sleeves). At WOT, that pump is easily pushing more than 30 gallons per minute through the system (and only so much heat is conducted into that cooling water as it blows past the sleeves and out the exit circuit of the cooling system).
    Yessir.

Primary reason why I watch my thermostats cycle twice before accelerating gradually on every cold start.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12