Have You Ever Changed Your Swing?

I'm curious if you have had to change your swing to do factors, age, injury, etc...

I had rotator cuff and bicep tendon surgery last year and trying to do my regular swing and it causes pain. Thinking about seeing a professional and get some lessons to get a new swing that is pain free.

2. Member
    I have shortened my backswing due to shoulder arthritis. Also trying to flatten swing

3. Member
    I jammed my right pinkie once about 29 years ago so I changed my grip from an interlock to an overlap. I still use an overlap. I can’t imagine going back.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    You need to see someone who is TPI certified and can assess your physical limitations before starting to change your swing.

5. Member
    I'm in the middle of a swing change right now, started taking lessons again and with getting older i've lost a lot of distance in all clubs, my old swing was like a young John Daly, past parallel, now the golf pro has me working on a shorter backswing like Rahm has, it's hard for me because it's not natural to me and i have to think about what i'm doing all the time or my swing is off.

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I've been a teaching pro for over 25 years and there's no way I'd try to get someone to go from a really long swing to a really short one. Just my opinion....

7. Member
    Yes. Bigtime change. Right hip was replaced in 17, left knee and full reverse shoulder in 21. Swing didn't change that much after the hip replacement but with the knee and shoulder yes. I can't chicken wing my left shoulder anymore since I have no rotator cuff. My swing now is more inside out, shorter backswing, with more hip rotation. Left arm is close to the chest. Honestly since I retired and I get in 3 to 4 rounds a month my game is better.
    Last edited by DLTJR; 04-11-2024 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added content

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I'm curious if you have had to change your swing to do factors, age, injury, etc...

I had rotator cuff and bicep tendon surgery last year and trying to do my regular swing and it causes pain. Thinking about seeing a professional and get some lessons to get a new swing that is pain free.
    I had a complete reverse shoulder replacement in 21. Since I don't have a rotator cuff no more chicken winging. I have to keep my left shoulder close to my chest. My swing is more inside out with more hip rotation. Choke down on the club a little too.

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I've been a teaching pro for over 25 years and there's no way I'd try to get someone to go from a really long swing to a really short one. Just my opinion....
    I figured I should come back and explain my reasoning. I’ve never been a fan of making huge swing changes that go against a player’s natural tendencies. The amount of time and practice it takes to groove and ingrain this is insane. My mentor and I went down the same rabbit hole about 14 years ago with my swing. I’ve always had a long swing as well and I played to pretty elite level with it. I learned that it would be inconsistent from time to time due to timing so I developed a strong short game. Well my mentor thought we should shorten and flatten my swing as that was his preferred method of swinging a golf club. Needless to say even with me having time to practice and work on it, my game went to crap and I lost about 5mph of swing speed. I finally abandoned it but it took another couple of years to get to where I wasn’t stuck in between two patterns. This changed how I taught the golf swing. I firmly believe that you stay with natural patterns and improve on them. Remember there is no one size fits all when it comes to the golf swing.
    I hope this explanation helps someone else in the future.