Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

College bass fishing scholarships - how do they work?

Are they full four year rides or are they just discounts from standard tuition rates? Seems like it’s mostly private or smaller schools developing these programs.

My understanding is that they get 15% off university branded fishing tackle at the campus gift shop, with a $200 purchase.

3. Member
    The real money in college fishing is in the NIL deals. And make sure to red shirt so you get your fifth year of eligibility.

4. Member
    I have zero idea, and guys swear they get full rides, but man I have a hard time picturing a scholarship that isn’t mostly academic based. For gods sake in baseball it’s damn near impossible to get full ride scholarships, unless a university has a booster that loves burning money why would they offer full rides?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    Who is paying NIL money to college anglers - tackle companies? I am not sure they would offer much value to a non-endemic companies unless it’s generated from a related party (family, friends, and their related businesses).

6. Member
    Title IX pretty much makes it highly unlikely any non-private would offer much more than a partial. I worked with a D1 college team, and the team was considered a club team--basically university affiliated but not university sponsored. Private schools have different rules and also are notorious for handing out "scholarships" so as to simply have enrollment--few people would go to some of these schools otherwise if it wasn't for the students getting to live out a dream.

I worked with one private school here in Texas that bragged than 90% of the students were on athletic scholarship. Whole teams made up of kids that never saw the field in highschool but whose parents could now Facebook about Johnny being a college athlete. And the scholarship--a discount to get the kid's tuition back down to what he would pay at a state school--maybe.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Title IX pretty much makes it highly unlikely any non-private would offer much more than a partial. I worked with a D1 college team, and the team was considered a club team--basically university affiliated but not university sponsored. Private schools have different rules and also are notorious for handing out "scholarships" so as to simply have enrollment--few people would go to some of these schools otherwise if it wasn't for the students getting to live out a dream.

I worked with one private school here in Texas that bragged than 90% of the students were on athletic scholarship. Whole teams made up of kids that never saw the field in highschool but whose parents could now Facebook about Johnny being a college athlete. And the scholarship--a discount to get the kid's tuition back down to what he would pay at a state school--maybe.
    Four years of tuition at Florida public college is $7,500 a year for a bachelor’s. I wonder what the private college is charging them net of their scholarship subsidy.

8. Member
    You’re going to be real close to $6000 per semester (15 hours) at a public in Texas (give or take). So basically $12,000 for fall and spring—again, only tuition. Some of these privates will have the rate of $20,000 per semester or more. But the truth is that no one pays that. They tell some kid that was a third string outfielder that he has earned a $32,000 scholarship and he can pay $8000 a semester. Kid and his parents think they have really hit a lick. And now Johnny gets to pay $16,000 per year to go to a glorified high school with a thousand students total and third-rate instructional resources.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Who is paying NIL money to college anglers - tackle companies? I am not sure they would offer much value to a non-endemic companies unless it’s generated from a related party (family, friends, and their related businesses).
    They do really well in the Orkin commercials.

10. Member
    At Alabama jersey was paid for by putting sponsors on them Academy, Dicks sporting, shell , Lews,pflueger, and several more. The week before a tournament local sporting good store would give 3 reels free line per fisherman. AFTCO provided rain gear and shoes. AFTCO gave great discounts. The boats were owed by the parents or who ever. The fuel was paid for by whoever. Maybe 2-3 times boats were filled with fuel by a sponsor. I have seen boats with colledge name on them but the was when the final/championship was going on. No money towards school that I knew of.

11. Member
    I fished at Kansas State. No scholarships, the team is a club sport. The university has budget to divide out to all the clubs. Based on the number of participants in each club determined how much money each club got. We sold t shirts and did other things for funds. Ultimately we were able to have enough money to pay for 15 nights of hotel rooms to help offset some costs to go participate in tournaments.

I don't know diddley about the fishing scholarships. But, many private schools give out athletic, or if D3, academic or other "grant" type scholarships to reduce out of pocket tuition expenses for many/most students. Why then, you might ask, doesn't the school just lower tuition to what is normal out of pocket costs for students? The reason is simple...international students. They are full pay, cash on the barrelhead. Many private schools say that they recruit international students in the name of cultural diversity. That's one reason...about 1% of the reason. The other 99% is that those students pay full tuition in cash...no grants, no scholarships, no tuition discounts, no hassle.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    I don’t believe there is any scholarships given for fishing.

14. Member
    I know Bethel University gives some full rides.

15. Member
    Seems like most of the universities doing it are in the southern part of the country.

16. Member
    You’re going to be real close to $6000 per semester (15 hours) at a public in Texas (give or take). So basically $12,000 for fall and spring—again, only tuition. Some of these privates will have the rate of $20,000 per semester or more. But the truth is that no one pays that. They tell some kid that was a third string outfielder that he has earned a $32,000 scholarship and he can pay $8000 a semester. Kid and his parents think they have really hit a lick. And now Johnny gets to pay $16,000 per year to go to a glorified high school with a thousand students total and third-rate instructional resources.
    I strongly, strongly suspected that.

Of course good luck getting that kid or parent to not say it’s a “full ride”.

Maybe a handful get a true scholarship at like Bethel. But I’ve heard stories of kids from my state showing up to a national tournament, not finishing particularly strong, and “earning scholarships” and thought no way is this really how it works.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    My best buddy son fishes for a big school. It’s a club sport = no scholarships.
    Last edited by barbarian; 04-05-2024 at 02:09 PM.

18. Member
    D1= zero scholarships, not allowed by ncaa, club sport only. Can be sponsor $ for boat to travel and fish. D2/3/naia kind of up to program to raise $ but some scholarship $ is possible then sponsor $ to travel/fish. Private schools can be full ride including housing and books AND still $ to fish and travel. All have chances at gear and clothing. Even teams that give full rides usually pay for travel/fishing for only the best kids or teams. Some schools have a pile of kids fishing so more points towards team titles. This goes to making decisions on who’s travel is paid. Some of the smaller schools have best deals to get an education imo as long as they offer majors which work for your kid. Fishing is NOT football or baseball so many smaller schools have more $ than bigger schools aince rules are different and teams/coaches that find the funds have the funds. You will see kids “signing” at all schools like they are getting full rides. Most are far from it and D1 schools are zero scholarship $ for fishing.

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    D1= zero scholarships, not allowed by ncaa, club sport only. Can be sponsor $ for boat to travel and fish. D2/3/naia kind of up to program to raise $ but some scholarship $ is possible then sponsor $ to travel/fish. Private schools can be full ride including housing and books AND still $ to fish and travel. All have chances at gear and clothing. Even teams that give full rides usually pay for travel/fishing for only the best kids or teams. Some schools have a pile of kids fishing so more points towards team titles. This goes to making decisions on who’s travel is paid. Some of the smaller schools have best deals to get an education imo as long as they offer majors which work for your kid. Fishing is NOT football or baseball so many smaller schools have more $ than bigger schools aince rules are different and teams/coaches that find the funds have the funds. You will see kids “signing” at all schools like they are getting full rides. Most are far from it and D1 schools are zero scholarship $ for fishing.
    I know someone who sign to fish at a local college. I ask them how it works and to the best of my memory you hit the nail on the head. This is why you see a bunch of colleges you never heard of in the results. Most people that are familiar with college sports are familiar with schools in the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Ivy League and conferences like that. Bass fishing in the college ranks is a club sport. Do you really think Alabama is going to put a lot of $ into fishing when football has a much higher rate of return on the $. I'll use my home state of KY as an example. They have had a bass fishing team for several years yet you seldom see very many UK boats at college events. Do you think UK is going to put $ in fishing when they can make $ on basketball. Until there comes a way the school can make sustainable gains from funding a club sport or buy giving out scholarship for fishing it will be way down the list of things they are going to put $ into.

20. Member
    My son is pretty good. (Your home state has a couple small schools who offered him total full rides) Is about to graduate HS and he has had most of them calling and recruiting. One of my co-workers son won the HS national championship multiple times and fished at one of the best colleges for fishing for 4 yrs. So Ive educated myself all I could. Talked to numerous coaches and parents all over about it. Only for my son to decide in the end he wants to pursue a trade that college wont help for, so he has decided to not go anywhere. But only after I did all the research, LOL. There are sole raally good opportunities out there but you have to rethink things as opposed to more main stream sports!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast