Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Where does the hook keeper go

on you're favorite spinning rod? Above the reel? Below the reel? I like mine ABOVE the reel! Below the reel is a deal killer for me! What say you?

2. Member
    Should be in front/above of the reel, if below/behind you could get hooked by grabbing the handle

3. Member
    Above the reel. But the Fad nowadays is to have it below the reel, much like having a reversed VSS handle like on the Daiwa Tatula or St Croix LTB series. It’s what the cool kids want so that’s what nearly all companies are making now. Imo, both aren’t practical
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I like below the reel because the bait doesn't interfere with sliding my rod socks all the way down.
    That also keeps the baits from hooking the other rods in the locker.

5. Member
    I like below the reel.

It's funny I heard a rod developer (I think for St. Croix) saying that is the #1 hard thing to pin down for rod design. It is a deal breaker for many buyers and guys are completely convinced any other way is wrong.

I dislike the fuji moveable ones or the one that require you to un-texas rig a plastic. If a rod has a keeper I hate or no keeper I'll just use one of the cal coast ones
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Above the reel. But the Fad nowadays is to have it below the reel, much like having a reversed VSS handle like on the Daiwa Tatula or St Croix LTB series. It’s what the cool kids want so that’s what nearly all companies are making now. Imo, both aren’t practical
    Are you talking about the Tatula rods that have the handle above the reel seat? IMO this is how a spinning rod should be. I hold my spinning rod above the reel seat. Why would I want to hold onto the nut of the reel seat?

7. Member
    Both. Because I often have a drop-shot tied on. Hook goes above the reel and weight goes below.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Are you talking about the Tatula rods that have the handle above the reel seat? IMO this is how a spinning rod should be. I hold my spinning rod above the reel seat. Why would I want to hold onto the nut of the reel seat?
    I hold the a spinning reel above the handle too. There’s rods that the nut is replaced by a hidden hood. That’s why I mostly use a VSS reel seat with a hidden hood on my rods (similar to a shimano zodias but all cork, no Eva for me). The reversed grip extends it a little too far so unless I’m holding completely above the handle (which I have the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger) it prevents me from being able to put a finger directly on the blank.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Same here full hand above the reel.

10. Member
    I hate below the reel but it seems more and more common.

11. Member
    I like the ones for cranks and jerkbaits just behind the reel seat, so I can sleeve them without snagging, and the bait tucks in near the reel. Single hooks go on the reel hood (except for the T-wing Tat).

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

I build most of mine with it in the split grip. When I have rods laying on the deck they tend to get snagged together less when I do that.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Below the reel is out of the way, so the line will not WRAP around it when fighting a fish or picking out a backlash.

14. Member
    Doesn’t really matter to me as I have both and have no troubles operating either one. It’s not rocket surgery…
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

15. Goby King
    Dropshot rods, the weight keeper goes behind the reel. Everything else, the hook keeper goes in front, on the bottom

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Below the reel is out of the way, so the line will not WRAP around it when fighting a fish or picking out a backlash.
    The spinning rod I use for flipping small baits to dock posts has the bait holder in front of the reel. I have issues with the line catching on the bait keeper. I'm going to cut it off and put one behind the reel.

17. Member
    When i build any style rods i put the hook keeper in front of the reel and on the opposite side away from the reel, if its for drop shotting i put a second keeper by the butt of the reel for the weight

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I like below the reel.

It's funny I heard a rod developer (I think for St. Croix) saying that is the #1 hard thing to pin down for rod design. It is a deal breaker for many buyers and guys are completely convinced any other way is wrong.

I dislike the fuji moveable ones or the one that require you to un-texas rig a plastic. If a rod has a keeper I hate or no keeper I'll just use one of the cal coast ones
    I bought a top of he line SCV St. Croix Spinning reel that had no hook keeper. As a rod builder myself I put a hook keeper on top . St. .Croix Rep told me at the time they don’t put hook keepers on because everyone has a different opinion of where to put it.
    I use a large home made hook keeper for my frog rod so that both hooks fit.

19. Member
    Above the reel and the clip style that ALX uses and is also now on the new GLXs.

20. Member
    Reeling it all the way tight to rod eye isn’t cool anymore? More bend in tip the better. What’s these new keepers you cool guys using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast