Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still Prop Testing

Set up- 2022 Bullet 21SDC, 2020 250R (had it flashed back when they could be flashed), 14" hydraulic Bobs plate, Sporty 1.75

I posted the other day asking about a Hydromotive prop. I ran a 28 Hydromotive, hole shot really good, mid range really good, obviously top end wasn't good given it's a 28. Ran 80.5 mph at 6000 RPM, so ~10% slip, which isn't horrible but I know there is a better prop. This would be a great hot water, loaded to fish prop.

I was running a 32 pitch MAX5 on my 20' Bullet before I bought the 21SDC, and it was a total beast. I'm struggling a bit coming from a 100mph+ boat to the 21'er, but I sure like how it rides and fishes, no regrets, I'm just light years slower than what I'm used to.

I tried a 28 Bravo FS lab finish the other day, I really liked the prop, hole shot was insane, mid range was crazy good, but again top end was slow due to the 28. I also ended up throwing a blade on the borrowed prop. This combo likes the engine much higher than what I'm used to 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" is where is seems to perform best, and I think the lab finish thinner blades didn't like that much x factor.

I did try the 32 MAX5 but just couldn't turn the RPM's needed on top and holes shot was lazy when loaded in hot water.

I have an opportunity to run a 30 Promax. I've heard good things about the Promax props and I'm thinking a 30 might be perfect splitting the difference between decent hole shot and good top end.

I would really like to run 90-91mph light, 85-87 loaded, but not sure if I'm being realistic with a flashed 250R on a 21SDC, with a Ghost troller and (2) 10' power poles. (I am running lithium batteries.

I would appreciate any thoughts - opinions, Thanks!!!

2. Member
    I suggest trying a 28BRV 5. DO NOT try to run it stock… It has to be worked! It’s a manageable price compared to a max 5, runs with in 2 MPH 0f my 30 max5. the blades are thick and solid. It can be tuned specifically for your rig and how you want the boat to run. I just sent a 30 BRV5 off to be worked for a fast prop.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

3. Member
    Have you tried a 30 pitch Bravo (not lab finish)? Not sure how close your flashed 250 is to the 300r but its got to be close, the bravo 30 is probably the best overall prop for my boat. Here is what I Have run on my boat:

30 pitch Promax = slow hole shot (blew out pretty bad, lots of feathering), GREAT Mid range, decent top end (88MPH). Stock, no work done to prop.
    31 pitch Promax = decent hole shot, good midrange, good top end (90.7mph). This prop was worked and the guy I borrowed it from and he didn’t know what was done to it, lol. But this prop ran good.
    32 pitch Bravo FS = decent hole shot, good mid range, great top end (92.5mph). Stock, no work done to prop
    30 pitch Bravo FS and XS = great hole shot, good mid range, good top end (88/89MPH). Had to add tip cup to lift boat. (Slung ear on both)
    30 pitch original Bravo I = Great hole shot, great mid range good top end (88/89mph). had to work this prop to get to run like the Bravo FS and XS.
    30 pitch BRV5 = great hole shot, great mid range, good top end (88/89mph). Had to have this prop worked to get to run.
    28 pitch BRV5 = AMAZING holes shot, great mid range, slower top end (86mph in the limiter). Had to have this prop worked to run.
    30 pitch BRV4 = Sluggish hole shot, OK mid range, slow top end (85mph). This prop has not run good, still working on it though….
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Flashed has it closer to 300hp where a stock 300R is closer to 330hp. Also the 21s is a lot of boat to try and hold up with a typical 4 blade. it might run decent light and solo but when you load it down it will fall on its face. Gonna need that 5th blade to hold the boat up to make it run clean and carry the load.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    This is awesome information, thank you all very much!!!

I really liked my MAX5 but the 32 was just too much on top end, couldn't get the rpm's, and hole shot was lazy but not terrible. In my prop testing experience it seems like the 15-1/2" props work well, all the 14-1/2" props blew out really bad on take off and required a lot of feathering.

I think I'll look for a 28-30 BRV5. I have a prop guy who can work whatever I need.

Thanks again everyone for the info, very helpful !!

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I don't think a BRV5 or the new BRO5 will ever run or accelerate with a Max 5. BUT for an economical 5 bladed fishin prop that your not worried about going shallow with, its great. But like its been stated multiple times, they are very stiff out of the box and must be worked to be acceptable.

Ive been working with Josh Edwards at Steves Custom Props down in Texas to get them dialed in on the Allison/Bullet/Stroker hulls. In stock form the BRV has a ton of trailing edge cup and just has too much stern lift.

From a dig, my M5's will roast a BRV5 through the midrange to top end...But you can buy 2 BRV5's for the cost of one M5.

We just started testing the new BRO5 this past week, its headed back for a rework.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

7. Member
    I haven't heard of the BRO5. Can you give us more information about it? Google isn't finding anything.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    Have you tried a 30 pitch Bravo (not lab finish)? Not sure how close your flashed 250 is to the 300r but its got to be close, the bravo 30 is probably the best overall prop for my boat. Here is what I Have run on my boat:

30 pitch Promax = slow hole shot (blew out pretty bad, lots of feathering), GREAT Mid range, decent top end (88MPH). Stock, no work done to prop.
    31 pitch Promax = decent hole shot, good midrange, good top end (90.7mph). This prop was worked and the guy I borrowed it from and he didn’t know what was done to it, lol. But this prop ran good.
    32 pitch Bravo FS = decent hole shot, good mid range, great top end (92.5mph). Stock, no work done to prop
    30 pitch Bravo FS and XS = great hole shot, good mid range, good top end (88/89MPH). Had to add tip cup to lift boat. (Slung ear on both)
    30 pitch original Bravo I = Great hole shot, great mid range good top end (88/89mph). had to work this prop to get to run like the Bravo FS and XS.
    30 pitch BRV5 = great hole shot, great mid range, good top end (88/89mph). Had to have this prop worked to get to run.
    28 pitch BRV5 = AMAZING holes shot, great mid range, slower top end (86mph in the limiter). Had to have this prop worked to run.
    30 pitch BRV4 = Sluggish hole shot, OK mid range, slow top end (85mph). This prop has not run good, still working on it though….
    What RPM's were you at running the 30 Promax to 88mph (stock, no work to prop)?

I tried the 30 pitch Promax last night. Hole shot was actually really good (prop has blow out ring and all the holes plugged solid) so not much blow out at all, immediately on pad it was VERY impressive, mid range excellent, didn't get to run it out due to 30+ mph winds but hit 81 really quick and was still digging pretty good. I'm excited to try it under better conditions. I would be very happy if i could see 85mph with it since I only have a flashed 250R. I was testing with ~25 gallons of fuel, live well full, and all my normal tackle, by myself.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    What RPM's were you at running the 30 Promax to 88mph (stock, no work to prop)?

I tried the 30 pitch Promax last night. Hole shot was actually really good (prop has blow out ring and all the holes plugged solid) so not much blow out at all, immediately on pad it was VERY impressive, mid range excellent, didn't get to run it out due to 30+ mph winds but hit 81 really quick and was still digging pretty good. I'm excited to try it under better conditions. I would be very happy if i could see 85mph with it since I only have a flashed 250R. I was testing with ~25 gallons of fuel, live well full, and all my normal tackle, by myself.
    Bone stock 30 pitch, I could only turn it 6150. The 31 Promax that my buddy had worked I could turn 6300 (weird I know). I could have probably gotten the 30 worked and put a blow out ring on it and it might have been good for my boat. Someone offered me what I paid for it so I sold it to him. I really liked the way my buddy’s 31 Promax performed on my boat. If I could go back, I would keep the 30 and get it worked to try and get it to run like the 31 did. After hearing your numbers above you have me wanting to get a Promax again and work it until it works for my set up. I agree with you the promax was quick and super responsive with the throttle.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

10. Member
    Bone stock 30 pitch, I could only turn it 6150. The 31 Promax that my buddy had worked I could turn 6300 (weird I know). I could have probably gotten the 30 worked and put a blow out ring on it and it might have been good for my boat. Someone offered me what I paid for it so I sold it to him. I really liked the way my buddy’s 31 Promax performed on my boat. If I could go back, I would keep the 30 and get it worked to try and get it to run like the 31 did. After hearing your numbers above you have me wanting to get a Promax again and work it until it works for my set up. I agree with you the promax was quick and super responsive with the throttle.
    I haven't got to run it full out on top end yet (wind was blowing 30+), but my first indications based on what little bit I did get run it up is I may not be able to turn the rpms I need on top end. I wonder what they did to the 31 that helped with the rpms? I've had a few props lab finished, and that really helps the rpms but I ended up throwing blades on every one of them. Most likely I'm going to need to have this one worked to get 6200-6300. I'll can get out this weekend under better conditions and find out for sure.

11. Member
    How does the pitch on the brv 5 compare to a bravo?
    Bullet 21XRS / 200 SHO

12. Member
    I discovered by accident that a promax prop will take off awesome without a blowout ring but with a foil without blowing out. I like the way a promax performs as an all around fishing prop.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet11b View Post
    How does the pitch on the brv 5 compare to a bravo?
    The BRV is stiffer than the Bravo. Probably about to pitches stiffer in my opinion. My 30 BRV runs more like my 32 bravo ran and the 28 BRV is a lot like the 30 Bravo.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    The BRV is stiffer than the Bravo. Probably about to pitches stiffer in my opinion. My 30 BRV runs more like my 32 bravo ran and the 28 BRV is a lot like the 30 Bravo.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I appreciate it!
    Bullet 21XRS / 200 SHO

Wonder how the BVR 30 would run on my 21XD with my 300xs. Holeshot, mid, top?

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    I discovered by accident that a promax prop will take off awesome without a blowout ring but with a foil without blowing out. I like the way a promax performs as an all around fishing prop.
    I've had good results with foils. I was running one on my old 20'er, it made the hole shot so much better. Once I got my 21'er I haven't put a foil on yet because I feel like the hole shot has been pretty good, but I always keep it in the back of my mind.

17. Member
    The foil didnt help much with a bravo but with the performer 4 BC I had & a promax it helps tremendously.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Wonder how the BVR 30 would run on my 21XD with my 300xs. Holeshot, mid, top?
    I question if the 2 strokes have the torque to turn the 5 blades. They stay hooked UP and it’s a lot of blade surface area. I would try to find a max 5 to try first… they have the right mix of slip/grip to tell you if would be a viable option.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

Quote Originally Posted by BEEZER View Post
    I question if the 2 strokes have the torque to turn the 5 blades. They stay hooked UP and it’s a lot of blade surface area. I would try to find a max 5 to try first… they have the right mix of slip/grip to tell you if would be a viable option.
    I could try one, but I do not like the max 5 price tag. That’s why I wanted to look towards the BVR

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I could try one, but I do not like the max 5 price tag. That’s why I wanted to look towards the BVR
    Both of my BRV’s did not run good out of the box. Billy at Performance Propeller seems to have a good formula to make the BRVs run. My BRVs in no way run as good as a max5 but it is very similar after the mods (comparing to my buddy’s 30 max5 on my boat) Billy cuts the barrel, adds some cup and thins the leading edge of the blades. I am sure he does more to them than that but that is all I know. I will add a picture of my BRV to show how much barrel we had to remove to get it to run.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast