Mercury 2010, 250 Pro XS Lithium Battery Charging

I have a 2010 Merc 250 Pro XS ser# 1B779001, and was thinking about changing the cranking battery to a lithium type. Currently I use a Gp 31 Lead acid that works really well but I have changed electronics on the boat and am currently running 2 graphs, 360 imaging, and target lock with FFS, and I think the battery is having a hard time keeping up. I am just wondering what the compatibility is with the charging system on my motor, and are there specific brands that work well with Mercury engines?

2. Member
    Been running a Ionic 125 for last couple years with no issues on both my 521's
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    +1
    Ionic 125ah has worked great for the past 3 years.

I'll check them out. I appreciate the help. Also, I don't know much about these new batteries, so are these equivalent to an 1100 CCA type battery that I'm currently using?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    I'll check them out. I appreciate the help. Also, I don't know much about these new batteries, so are these equivalent to an 1100 CCA type battery that I'm currently using?
    Yes
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Sorry if I seem like I'm bugging out here, but I'm reading a lot of posts online that Mercury Marine is telling people not to use Lithium batteries as starting/cranking batteries on their engines for some reason. Not sure why, but I just don't want to screw up anything on my boat due to a battery.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
    Sorry if I seem like I'm bugging out here, but I'm reading a lot of posts online that Mercury Marine is telling people not to use Lithium batteries as starting/cranking batteries on their engines for some reason. Not sure why, but I just don't want to screw up anything on my boat due to a battery.
    Not knowing what engine you have, the Mercury's position in regard to Optimax engines is in this FAQ topic - BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS:

As of 12/23/2022, Mercury has issued Service Bulletin 2022-19 and SHS 2022-21 stating that the listed engines will be permitted to use a Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery that is designed for engine cranking, as long as it meets the listed specifications:

-2.1L 75-115hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro Models
    -3.0L 150hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro
    -4.6L V8 and 3.4L V6 175-300hp Fourstroke, ProXS, SeaPro and Verado Models
    -2.6L L6 200-400 Pro and Verado Models
    -7.6L V12 500-600hp SeaPro and Verado Models.
    -ALL MERCURY RACING OUTBOARD ENGINES (Current Production models)
    -NO other engines approved at this time.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lithium Batteries are not approved for the Optimax lineup at this time.

The next hurdle is finding one that provide greater than 950 CCA Capacity (most Lithium's can't handle zero degrees F, which is where that rating is derived).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor