Drop shot line weight.

Is 6lb mono too light for a drop shot?

How deep are you fishing?
    How clear is the water?
    What weight sinker are you using?
    What size fish are you targeting?

A lot of variables. I usually use 10# and sometimes drop to 8# if the water is clear. I seldom have "gin clear" water.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    12’ deep or so
    dingy water
    1/8 ounce
    bass

4. Member
    20 lb FloraClear
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

5. Member
    Way to light here.

I guess the real question is why are you drop shooting in those conditions. More of a sight feeding technique.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I guess the real question is why are you drop shooting in those conditions. More of a sight feeding technique.
    I was gonna drop shot along the rocks on the levee.

I fish st Clair. 15 lb braid to a 30+ ft 8lb Fluoro leader. I like the leader knot on my reel when netting a fish. Also don’t need to retire new leaders often at that length. Landed many over 5 on this setup. ML rod. 3/8 or 1/2 oz weight.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

According to who? Watch the MLF or BASS st Clair derby’s. From July on dropshotting represents bout 75% of what I throw in 10-22 fow.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    According to who? Watch the MLF or BASS st Clair derby’s. From July on dropshotting represents bout 75% of what I throw in 10-22 fow.
    I am going to guess you never fished in Mississippi.

11. Member
    I strictly drop shot with 6lb Flouro

12. Member
    I run 10 lb Tatsu onto 15 lb braid. I also DS weedless and around structure. In open water that is clear 6 lb would be okay.

6 lb mono isn't too light at all. My day-in, day-out drop shot setup uses 7 lb Sniper but I've gone as light as 4 lb and significantly heavier in some situations as well. Plus, 7 lb Sniper is a heck of a lot thinner than a lot of other companies' 6 lb test.

I would bet a hefty sum that more than 90% of fish caught on a drop shot are not being sight fished (at least in the traditional sense of the word...lots on forward facing sonar these days). Heck I'd probably take the bet, probably a smaller amount, that it's more than 95%. If you think it's only for sight fishing, you're really really missing out.

I am going to guess you never fished in Mississippi.
    What does fishing the Mississippi have to do with the topic at hand? You could say that about just about any fishery in the country and you'd be right about most anglers.

I've caught plenty on a drop shot fishing the Mississippi too, by the way.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 04-02-2024 at 06:30 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Fishing the Mississippi , and fishing in Mississippi the state are not the same thing. Sight feeding and not sight fishing is what I wrote.

Trying to help the guy out. Just saying putting a jig on the rip rap would be a much better choice in the waters of Mississippi State.
    I have fished several tournaments in Mississippi and have never seen more than 6” of visibility on any any body of water.

Sorry, I misread that as "the Mississippi." I also missed that the OP is from MS, which makes your previous comment make a ton more sense. I should not have responded that way!

Low visibility still isn't a problem for a drop shot in my experience. Lots of lakes in my neck of the woods that get farm runoff are downright filthy, often having less than even a couple inches of vis. And still, the drop shot can be absolutely deadly in many situations, and light line still seems to help get bites. I think the light line just makes the presentation look way more natural, allows it to move more freely. More generally I'm not convinced "line shy" fish are weary due to seeing the line, but instead are turning away from something unnatural. I've always meant to experiment with really light braid to test this out--the braid would of course be way more visible, but also thinner and freer moving.

It's mind blowing to me how good bass are at finding your bait, even in the filthiest conditions, as long as it's been that way for at least a couple days. Now when it's clean and turns dirty? That definitely seems to shell shock them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSteed View Post
    Is 6lb mono too light for a drop shot?
    Not at all too light as long as you are fishing open water AND you have a reel with a REALLY smooth drag system. Those to caveats are critical to the answer to this question.