2016 fx21 skeeter porpoise isue.

A friend of mine has this boat and it seems to porpoise really bad, no matter if it's trimmed all the way down and trying to cruise at 30-40mph being the worst. It's up and down like a yo-yo. Has 4 lead acid batteries in back and powerpoles, 1/4 tank to full tank of gas doesn't matter. Tackle is moderate weight in front. Running a 25 t1 propHyd jackplate up or down doesn't make a difference either. Whats the deal? Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Skeeter slap, not sure you can get it to ever go away completely.

3. Member
    It’s a Skeeter tell him to get used to it.

4. Member
    Not a fx, but can run my fxr at low 30’s with a bravo 1 fs trimmed all the way down. Weight distribution can make a big difference, it seems to be more sensitive than other brands I’ve owned. Same setup, 1 agm and 3 lead acid batteries and 8’ blades.

5. Member
    move the fuel tank and it will be better

4 blade prop and a whale tail might help
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Lower the motor and trim down. Porpoise is caused by driver error and poor setup. There's a YouTube video on this..

2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

7. Member
    FX models are notorious form porpoising, no comparison to the FXR.

8. Member
    Skeeters are known for this. Best thing is to add a hydrofoil (whale tale)

9. Member
    A four blade prop or add more cup to your existing prop.

10. Member
    Added a dole fin tail to my 518. Much better plus helps your hole shot

11. Member
    I had a FX21 250SHO for 8 years. I've posted many times about the Skeeter popoise issue. When I first got my Skeeter I was horrified how it ran compared to all my previous boats. I took off like I always had with the motor trimmed all the way down and started trimming up as the hull gained speed. My FX would start porpoising and it wouldn't stop until I was running pretty fast. I thought, "I've made a serious mistake buying this Skeeter." Well I HAD bought it and it was mine so I started reading and experimenting. What I found out was that the FX hull design required a different launch procedure. I found that if I kept the engine trimmed all the way under until the boat was up on plane and then started trimming my hull would run low speed, mid speed, or wide open speed without the porpoise. I experimented and found that by delaying trimming the engine up my FX would get on plane and stay there at a very low speed. If I went back to my old way of trimming up as the boat got on plane it introduced the porpoise and once started it took a lot of speed to make it stop. Keep in mind that I'm not saying you just run at low to mid range speeds with the engine trimmed all the way down. For efficient operation the FX hull likes trim, the key is when you start trimming. I found that my FX liked a lot of trim at fast speeds. If I didn't trim almost to the maximum trim I could not reach WOT rpm or speed. My FX21 would run mid 70's on gps with me, full gas, and a dozen rods and a heavy tackle bag. With three big guys, full fuel, and enough tackle to stock a store it ran 68 mph on gps and that was against some current. You have to be reasonable about how the boat is loaded also. I kept heavy stuff in the back, my motor was on the stock Skeeter manual jackplate (12" I think) and it was set on the 7th dot. I ran the stock original Yamaha SHO 3 blade 25T1 non vented prop. I hope this helps, your friend shouldn't give up on his Bug!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    I had a FX21 250SHO for 8 years. I've posted many times about the Skeeter popoise issue. When I first got my Skeeter I was horrified how it ran compared to all my previous boats. I took off like I always had with the motor trimmed all the way down and started trimming up as the hull gained speed. My FX would start porpoising and it wouldn't stop until I was running pretty fast. I thought, "I've made a serious mistake buying this Skeeter." Well I HAD bought it and it was mine so I started reading and experimenting. What I found out was that the FX hull design required a different launch procedure. I found that if I kept the engine trimmed all the way under until the boat was up on plane and then started trimming my hull would run low speed, mid speed, or wide open speed without the porpoise. I experimented and found that by delaying trimming the engine up my FX would get on plane and stay there at a very low speed. If I went back to my old way of trimming up as the boat got on plane it introduced the porpoise and once started it took a lot of speed to make it stop. Keep in mind that I'm not saying you just run at low to mid range speeds with the engine trimmed all the way down. For efficient operation the FX hull likes trim, the key is when you start trimming. I found that my FX liked a lot of trim at fast speeds. If I didn't trim almost to the maximum trim I could not reach WOT rpm or speed. My FX21 would run mid 70's on gps with me, full gas, and a dozen rods and a heavy tackle bag. With three big guys, full fuel, and enough tackle to stock a store it ran 68 mph on gps and that was against some current. You have to be reasonable about how the boat is loaded also. I kept heavy stuff in the back, my motor was on the stock Skeeter manual jackplate (12" I think) and it was set on the 7th dot. I ran the stock original Yamaha SHO 3 blade 25T1 non vented prop. I hope this helps, your friend shouldn't give up on his Bug!
    I thought this was standard and was the way all boats were supposed to be ran, this is how I’ve always ran my Fxr and never had an issue at low speeds

13. Member
    I have no issues with this.....Trim down when you coming off plane and run a bravo or razor 4 XL

14. Member
    Never have an issue with my 2015 ZX 250 as long as I trim down BEFORE slowing down to come off plane.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    Lower the motor and trim down. Porpoise is caused by driver error and poor setup. There's a YouTube video on this..

I have since driven his boat , and it's not driver error, that boat has some serious porpoise issues. Iver never ran a boat like that before, drove another buddy's 2022 fxr21 and it was great. This 2016 fx 21 sucks. It doesn't matter what you do. It's up and down like a yo-yo. If it were mine I'd sink it and collect a check lol

16. Member
    What is your prop to pad? Maybe lower the motor a hole?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I have since driven his boat , and it's not driver error, that boat has some serious porpoise issues. Iver never ran a boat like that before, drove another buddy's 2022 fxr21 and it was great. This 2016 fx 21 sucks. It doesn't matter what you do. It's up and down like a yo-yo. If it were mine I'd sink it and collect a check lol
    they moved the fuel tank the next yr or two to help this common issue I believe
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools