Thread: 1/2 ton or 3/4?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Yeah, I don’t recall seeing any CCLB’s in a 1/2 ton and if ‘Yota is the only that’s making it, good luck finding a used truck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Idling will kill the new diesels with the emissions stuff on them. They need to be worked hard and driven to temp often. Even short trips on a regular basis will have you in the shop
    I do a lot of short trips, but I must tow enough to keep my powerstroke happy. 72k on this one and not a hiccup. (Knock on wood and cross my fingers)

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Yeah, I don’t recall seeing any CCLB’s in a 1/2 ton and if ‘Yota is the only that’s making it, good luck finding a used truck.
    The 8' bed on the yota is in a double cab configuration not a crew cab. No current manufactured 1/2 is offered in a crew cab with an 8' bed.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    The 8' bed on the yota is in a double cab configuration not a crew cab. No current manufactured 1/2 is offered in a crew cab with an 8' bed.

I forgot they had the 2 sizes like what GM offers.

I have both in supercab. 17 150stx 6.5 bed 5.0.
    18 f250 xlt 8' bed w 6.2
    Like both equally pending needs.
    I dont do crew cabs as not needed but like extra storage and longer beds
    Both tow boats easily. I have truck bed tents for both. Travel / dirt bike camping several times a year.
    Oviously more room in tent with 8' but the 6.5 is comfortable. Im good for several nights easily
    Pick your poison

The only crew cab with an 8' bed may be the Ram MegaCab. It's a long truck. You need to realize the length because it won't fit in a normal parking space. Finding a used crew with an 8' bed is going to be a long search. As far as the rod case goes, you should be able to fit 7' rods in a 6 1/2' bed diagonally. Don't know if a 7'4" would.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    Ok boss.. I guess I was drunk or something when I looked at one a couple days ago..
    24 model 150’s 8ft bed only available on regular cab.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Idling will kill the new diesels with the emissions stuff on them. They need to be worked hard and driven to temp often. Even short trips on a regular basis will have you in the shop
    Delete them and that is not a problem, I wouldn't own a newer diesel that wasn't deleted.

9. Member
    3/4 ton and up is the only way to get a crew cab long bed, and yes I recommend one.

10. Member
    Nobody makes a half ton crew cab with an 8 foot bed. Super cab, regular cab is only configuration with an 8 foot bed on a half ton.

11. Member
    Mines a double cab Longbed.about a foot longer than a crew cab short bed. Same as the old extended cab. Longer wheelbase always ride better. Every truck I’ve bought new had a 8’ bed. Some manufacturers used to make 1/2 ton. But no more. New 3/4 tons ride as good as a half ton. I can fit 3 kayaks in the bed and still tow.
    Last edited by DaveBrabec; 03-31-2024 at 08:01 AM.

12. Member
    If it is a daily driver 3/4 ton ride is not very smooth I drive one every day ride sucks

13. Member
    had them all. 1500-2500-mini-midsize-- love my 2500hd!! way too much truck for a bassboat but it is awesome just the same
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-31-2024 at 03:01 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    I prefer my 2500 hd. Had enough of half tons. I like that you know you are in a truck. Gets better mpg than any half ton I’ve owned.

15. Member
    Sounds like there is no perfect solution but rather a compromise. If sleeping in the bed is at the top of your list and a heater.........how about the F-150 hybrid?

16. Member
    Try looking at a van like the Ford Transit Trail. Same base cost as a pickup but way more adaptable to overnight stays. Pickup’s aren’t the end all to vehicles.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Try looking at a van like the Ford Transit Trail. Same base cost as a pickup but way more adaptable to overnight stays. Pickup’s aren’t the end all to vehicles.
    Yeah I’ve wanted a van forever for my lifestyle but I need a pickup bed to haul my work toolbox..

18. Member
    Rods won't fit in a 6.5' bed??? Kinda depends on how long the rods are, right. Kind of like asking "How long is half a rope."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The only crew cab with an 8' bed may be the Ram MegaCab. It's a long truck. You need to realize the length because it won't fit in a normal parking space. Finding a used crew with an 8' bed is going to be a long search. As far as the rod case goes, you should be able to fit 7' rods in a 6 1/2' bed diagonally. Don't know if a 7'4" would.
    No 8ft mega cab
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I do a lot of short trips, but I must tow enough to keep my powerstroke happy. 72k on this one and not a hiccup. (Knock on wood and cross my fingers)
    You’re fine if you tow with it some to get it to regen. Guys driving 15 minutes to work and to Home Depot every once in a while will be clogged up in no time. Mine is deleted now since I had a def system failure around 150,000 miles. Almost $5000 at dealer to fix, or $1500 for some parts to fall off and a single stage 40 hp tune to go in. I’m at 201,000 and she still purrs like a kitten.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast