Thread: Hot foot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot foot

I've had maybe 10 bass boats In my life and they have all either had a hot foot or I've added one. I may change my mind later but i dont think I'm going to put one on my new boat, I like one for running up on pad but for driving through long no wake areas its kind of a pain. Just curious if any one has done away with a hot foot after having one for so long
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    ad two boats with ,last two(current and one before) no hotfoot, prefer nohot foot

I rarely use mine, anymore. Every once in awhile I will flip over to it but I have gotten used to and actually prefer the hand control.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Member
    All of my boats had hand throttle. Had current boat with a hot foot 10 years. Either is fine with me though I do like being able to set the hand throttle at a certain speed and being able to let it go.

5. Member
    Hot foot with cruise control would be nice for long runs on the lake.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    I wouldn't want to run my last two boats with out one when trying to run pegged out. Running at 60 hand control would be great but wot I prefer to be able to have both hands on the wheel and the ability to dump the throttle if needed. Hot foot has saved me a few times when running on glass water and seeing a large wake that came out of no where from a big cruser ect. I also think the hot foot is great when it gets really rough. On the lake oahe and the other Missouri River impoundments the hot foot is my best friend when trying to throttle up quickly and dump the throttle to keep from spearing waves and ride them out. I think it was the G2 that had a digital hot foot option that would allow you to switch between the hot foot and the hand throttle. That would be the slickest thing. I do agree long idles through no wake zones the hand throttle would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I also think the hot foot is great when it gets really rough.
    This and two hands on the wheel in a high performance bass boat. It’s the safest and most effective way to run rough water at speed.

8. Member
    Try loading your boat on your trailer on a steep ramp by yourself when you need to hook your strap. Not with a shot foot

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I think it was the G2 that had a digital hot foot option that would allow you to switch between the hot foot and the hand throttle. That would be the slickest thing. I do agree long idles through no wake zones the hand throttle would be nice.
    Yes, the G2 has this capability. On my previous motor I had the standard mechanical hotfoot. Back then, I thought I would not be able to live without it. But when I repowered to the G2 and installed the digital hotfoot, I have found that I actually use the hand control more often. It's as simple as a push of a button to switch between the two (have to be in neutral, of course).

10. Member
    The new suzuki motors have both foot and hand throttle like the evinrudes did. I think this would be the ultimate. I have a hot foot and I like it for rough water, but like you said its a pain in long no wake zones or long boat runs at a steady speed.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    Also on 10 th boat. No hot foot either. Never go back to having one

12. Member
    Have two boats, one with and one without.... I prefer without most of the time

13. #FRB
    For me it depends on the boat. My Charger 195vf was a cruiser so didn't need one. My old Pantera Classic needed to be driven therefore it needed a hotfoot. Glad I had it on that boat. My Tracker 175txw didn't need one because it was a well mannered water plow that handled like a sports car. My Xpress H18 needs one because it can be a handful at WOT with most of the hull out of the water.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Member
    Land & Sea (not sure if they're even still in business) used to have a dual control that can use either foot or hand. I just stick my pliers in my foot control (between stops) for long idles.

15. Member
    I used a hotfot for about 10 years... my current boat didn't come with one and I procrastinated on installing one. 6 years later and I actually prefer no hotfoot now.

16. Member
    i prefer hotfoot for boat control

17. Member
    I’ve had to make too many quick maneuvers using both hands to steer while dropping throttle and then accelerating to not want a hotfoot unless I was in a slow pontoon or Jon boat that maxes out at 30 mph. Cruising slowly is fine with a hand throttle but running 50+ is too dangerous with my boat, which doesn’t have hydraulic steering.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

18. #FRB
    A hotfoot can also make broken steering cables less dramatic. I've been in a boat when that happened and he caught it quick thanks to the hotfoot.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by davethebuilder View Post
    I like one for running up on pad but for driving through long no wake areas its kind of a pain.
    Just curious why driving through a no wake zone is a pain? Just put it in gear and let it go, you know .... "A 'no wake zone' is a section of waterway with a strict speed limit. When navigating through a no wake zone, state and federal regulations generally require that the captain observe the slowest-possible vessel speed to maintain steerage,"

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Just curious why driving through a no wake zone is a pain? Just put it in gear and let it go, you know .... "A 'no wake zone' is a section of waterway with a strict speed limit. When navigating through a no wake zone, state and federal regulations generally require that the captain observe the slowest-possible vessel speed to maintain steerage,"
    Our no wake zones are posted at 5 mph. Of course, the average boater around here is clueless or just plain a-holes and just do whatever ever they feel like. Same as on the freeway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast