Thread: Rod Building

Question Rod Building

Hey folks! I attended a rodbuilding class in February and now trying my first independent build.

Already seems I might have gotten myself short of an item or something. I ordered a CRB GEC2 Reel seat for a CRB Color 6'6" ML blank. LOT of space in that reel seat. I've gotten one piece of advice to do a lot of wrap under the seat before install. I kind of understand that, but I'm also wondering if one of the carbon fiber inserts wouldn't be better, or even better than that, is there a better reel seat that will get me direct contact where the seat is open?

I'm even considering a punt and getting a reel seat without exposed blank parts.

2. Member
    Do you mean the GEC3 casting reel seat?

More than likely you will need an insert for that seat. if you wanted one that was more of a true fit, I’d suggest a Fuji ECSM or an American Tackle ECRS.

Use calipers to measure where you want the reel seat to go and buy the one that fits. If it’s not a round number (.0 or .5) then buy the next size down and team to fit. As an example, Say if it’s 13.2mm, I’d order a 13mm seat and ream it to fit.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Exposed reel seats are nice but need to be sized appropriately to the blank your using which is hard when ordering. You usually need to know the diameter of the rod where the seat will be placed and order a reel seat with those specs. I would either order a different exposed reel seat with appropriate inner diameter or buy a regular reel seat and build arbors to take up the space.

It actually is a GEC2. It was on clearance, I suppose for a reason...lol.

Yah, I'm off to buy calibers this weekend and then go from there! Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Do you mean the GEC3 casting reel seat?

More than likely you will need an insert for that seat. if you wanted one that was more of a true fit, I’d suggest a Fuji ECSM or an American Tackle ECRS.

Use calipers to measure where you want the reel seat to go and buy the one that fits. If it’s not a round number (.0 or .5) then buy the next size down and team to fit. As an example, Say if it’s 13.2mm, I’d order a 13mm seat and ream it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeaudry05 View Post
    Exposed reel seats are nice but need to be sized appropriately to the blank your using which is hard when ordering. You usually need to know the diameter of the rod where the seat will be placed and order a reel seat with those specs. I would either order a different exposed reel seat with appropriate inner diameter or buy a regular reel seat and build arbors to take up the space.
    Thank ya! I'm learning. Now what to do with all these boxes from Mudhole

6. Member
    Fuji ECSMs are my favorite seat to use, it's an exposed blank. They're like $5. Like ECobb said I buy them a little small and ream them to fit.

7. Member
    I would order the insert and epoxy it in. It is a bit tricky though cleaning the epoxy from the openings on the seat. I use acetone. Then just use tape arbors. It will look really nice.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I would order the insert and epoxy it in. It is a bit tricky though cleaning the epoxy from the openings on the seat. I use acetone. Then just use tape arbors. It will look really nice.
    Have you tried just using IPA to clean up epoxy? That's what I've been using since I started. My shop isn't really well ventilated and acetone is nasty.

9. Member
    Mike, up until recently I used IPA. Somewhere I ran across a suggestion to use acetone. I find it does a better job on the reel seat inserts. I still use IPA everywhere else
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    My advice to anyone getting into rod building is to start with a kit that has everything you need.