Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If you trolling motor batteries need charged throughout the day then you need ones with more capacity.

I mean Im on my 7th year with lithiums, nice thing about them is they gain charge quickly from the Stealth charge on the run.

They dont NEED charged during the day but they also dont need plugged in if I am on a decent sized lake which is nice when out of town for 1-3 months in my rv.

Its not expensive, its not complicated, you dont have to do anything once you install it.

2. Skeeterzx190
    Ya trying to not get complicated...but electonics and batteries are changing so fast with improvements...I will need completely new power for everything so for me spending some time and due diligence to get it right and be very happy vs quick decision depending on old thinking and being ok with my purchase but wishing I went different direction is worth it....not to mention lithiums are 2x-3x as much so big problem if unhappy. Whatever I get should last me 10 years so get it right first time. My 521C with 2 stroke with that beautiful 2 stroke oil resevoir, power poles and 36 volt TM...well I lack space. Absolutely blows to remove a trolling motor battery everytime I need to access the bilge area. Been reading about 36V batteries....the idea of one 36volt, one electronic battery over on the port side area and just a cranking battery is very appealing. The 16 volt Im not 100% clear on but appears the higher voltage will aide in clarity of graphs etc and runs more efficient and cooler. If that is indeed true thats a plus. Overall it just frees up so much space, cleaner, less connections. However my 4 bank Noco DOES 12 VOLT ONLY.....I can not hook up a 36 or 16 volt to it....Rather not add a second bank charger that can charge a 36volt and 16 volt that I now need to plug in also. Two plugs two messy for me and when the boat is sitting on the lake dock, Im not opening the hatch to charge while boys running around and chance stepping on lid or if rains. Just want one simple plug in the hole in the back. So yes I could do 3 lithiums for TM and stick one over the bildge and then get a more expensive crank that can do 3-4 graphs, LS, 360 and keep adding to my bus bar all the graphs, live scope, 360 etc....OR do a 36, 16 and 12v crank and maybe just get a couple small run gun chargers that would charge them when crank plugged in and if lucky top off time to time while on the lake. But honestly the run and gun was more for the idea of not having to buy another on board charger to plug into so I really was just curious if you use your TM all day on spot luck, overnight will teh run and gun charge them to 100% and are people happy with the setup. Not sure if that makes sense.

3. Skeeterzx190
    Ya trying to not get complicated...but electonics and batteries are changing so fast with improvements...I will need completely new power for everything so for me spending some time and due diligence to get it right and be very happy vs quick decision depending on old thinking and being ok with my purchase but wishing I went different direction is worth it....not to mention lithiums are 2x-3x as much so big problem if unhappy. Whatever I get should last me 10 years so get it right first time. My 521C with 2 stroke with that beautiful 2 stroke oil resevoir, power poles and 36 volt TM...well I lack space. Absolutely blows to remove a trolling motor battery everytime I need to access the bilge area. Been reading about 36V batteries....the idea of one 36volt, one electronic battery over on the port side area and just a cranking battery is very appealing. The 16 volt Im not 100% clear on but appears the higher voltage will aide in clarity of graphs etc and runs more efficient and cooler. If that is indeed true thats a plus. Overall it just frees up so much space, cleaner, less connections. However my 4 bank Noco DOES 12 VOLT ONLY.....I can not hook up a 36 or 16 volt to it....Rather not add a second bank charger that can charge a 36volt and 16 volt that I now need to plug in also. Two plugs two messy for me and when the boat is sitting on the lake dock, Im not opening the hatch to charge while boys running around and chance stepping on lid or if rains. Just want one simple plug in the hole in the back. So yes I could do 3 lithiums for TM and stick one over the bildge and then get a more expensive crank that can do 3-4 graphs, LS, 360 and keep adding to my bus bar all the graphs, live scope, 360 etc....OR do a 36, 16 and 12v crank and maybe just get a couple small run gun chargers that would charge them when crank plugged in and if lucky top off time to time while on the lake. But honestly the run and gun was more for the idea of not having to buy another on board charger to plug into so I really was just curious if you use your TM all day on spot luck, overnight will teh run and gun charge them to 100% and are people happy with the setup. Not sure if that makes sense.

4. Member
    @bassfisher444 You might be right.

But I am investigating my options. I currently have 3 x 100 AmpHr Lithiums and 1000 Lead acid CA cranking battery. I have a 36V trolling motor and hooked my electronics over to one of the Lithiums. The end of a tournament day with pumps running I run out of power. My electronics shut down & trolling motor is dead. - likely only the one lithium that is hooked to everything.

I was considering adding a deep cycle lead acid battery (that I have in my garage) and hook it up to a battery isolator to charge on the fly. If I choose to get a lithium DC for my electronics I was considering a 16V (or 14.8V) but still wanted to charge it on the fly.

I need a new cranking battery, either this year or next, and am considering but hesitant to go with a Lithium cranker for my ETec G2 225HO. If I go Lithium, I will go with a 100AmpHr dual purpose cranking battery, I would still like to get a 16V to run my Live Scopes and graphs separately since I am getting some interference and think I can get rid of it upgrading my wire size and running 16V on a dedicated battery vs 12V with a bunch of stuff hooked up to it.

Lots of options and trying to do my research to figure out what is optimal. I am not technical enough to know exactly what to do. At the end of the day, getting a separate 12V Lithium to run my electronics may solve most of my power problems. At times my trolling motor lithium batteries get worked too hard when the wind is blowing on Lake St Clair and a long 12 hr prefish day. I am actually in the process of hooking up a few of the electronics to my main crank battery to redistribute the loads more evenly.

I think my optimal solution would be:
    36V Lithium for trolling motor
    1000 CA / 100 AmpHr Lithium starting battery (Pumps, bilge etc)
    16 V Lithium for electronics (4 graphs, live scope).

Then again as you said, I may be overthinking it and making it way more complex than necessary.

5. Member
    I think it really just comes down to budget now. There are alot of choices out there now. I personally like the idea of freeing up as much space in the bilge as possible. You can now get some big AH cranking batteries that I can't imagine you could possibly run down in a couple trips out. The same with single 36 volt trolling batteries. I'm still not sure about the 16 volt electronics battery yet (it does make some sense though). An example would be a 160 or 170 AH cranking battery, 70 to 80 AH trolling battery. There are also some chargers out there for a decent price. Powerhouse has a 3 bank charger that will do a 12v, 12/16v, and 36v. I would like having that extra bank for an electronics battery if I had one.

I've switched to dual 36v in parallel, so have TM power for days essentially... At the same time I have isolated electronics away from the starting battery, so the electronics battery does not get charged on the water anymore like it did when I ran everything off it. So looking at adding a Yandian Combiner or a Run-n-Gun - they appear to essentially do the same thing? Are they just different name for the same type of product?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12