Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Knowledge About Truck Lifts.......

I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Limited with 142k.

It is time for brakes and tires.

I was/am debating on looking for another truck or keeping this one. My thought was that if I keep this one, I will do a few things that I've wanted to do and then keep it until it stops. So, I started looking at lifts/leveling kits. Nothing more than 3", as I do not want any advanced work or cutting to be done.

I received a quote of $2,600 to remove the current air ride suspension and install a 3" leveling kit.

Seems high to me. I figured I could get a 3" lift for that cost (installed). However, I've never had it done so I am not that informed on it.

Thoughts regarding cost......
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

2. Member
    What brand?

I did a Rough Country 3.5" with 33" tires and 22" wheels years ago for around $3,500 if I remember. Rough Country isn't the best but for the price does what I want.

Seems high to me as well but I work on all my own vehicles so who knows.
    Curious why you want the air ride suspension removed? You simply want the lift for looks or is the air ride simply bad?

Not sure what is in the lift kit. generally 2.5 to 3 is a leveling kit. 3.5 to 4" is usually a "real" lift kit. Drop brackets for track bar, and steering. New springs, etc.

My last Lift Kit, May 2020, was a 4" BDS with Radial arms and steering stabilizer for $1900, Installed for $1000. Just the lift. BDS is on the high end for lifts. Tires and rims was about 3k.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Pull up to HD/Lowes pallet of quikreet. Load bags just inside of tailgate until you like the level of level. Go pay for bags kept.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

6. Member
    Honestly at that mileage, I wouldn't do anything to a Ram that wasn't maintenance or repairs to keep it on the road.
    The Ram I had as a work vehicle started falling apart around 140k. Wheel bearings, 4wd system failure, multiple electrical gremlins, 2 coil packs, and finally it's SECOND cam shaft failure at 169k.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Honestly at that mileage, I wouldn't do anything to a Ram that wasn't maintenance or repairs to keep it on the road.
    The Ram I had as a work vehicle started falling apart around 140k. Wheel bearings, 4wd system failure, multiple electrical gremlins, 2 coil packs, and finally it's SECOND cam shaft failure at 169k.
    I'm still on the original brakes and rotors.

Other than a head light and fog light going out, the only issue I have had is the rear sliding window.

8. Member
    Make sure the kit includes a headlight adjustment.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

9. Member
    Will removing the air ride system throw codes that will have to be fixed?
    Hi Mike.

I put leveling kits on both my last two trucks. No lift in the rear but level front to back. I did it to run slightly larger tires. Anyway, with it being level unloaded, if you put an weight in the bed (like my small 4 wheeler) or hook up the boat the rear will squat just enough to raise the headlights. Apparently, it looks like I have my high beams on because I get flashed constantly. I'll skip on the leveling kit from now on.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Easy enough to adjust head lights. When I put my lift on, and towed for the first time I got flashed by everyone. Just adjusted them down some and no more issues.

All trucks have this issue though, not just lifted or leveled trucks. Yes it can be worse on a leveled truck. I have flashed regular trucks towing bigger trailers, that felt like I was looking into the sun.
    Last edited by BMCD; 03-27-2024 at 10:48 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    They sell links to replace the factory ones that will lift that truck and keep the air suspension. They are not expensive at all. Usually about $100 for a pair. Take about 5 mins to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14351446100...mis&media=COPY

13. Member
    Man, losing nice factory air ride and 3 grand just to put slightly bigger tires on (and get worse mileage) just isn't worth it imo. It truly baffles me that 90% of the elite pros are running lifts to go from boat ramp to boat ramp.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    I have a lifted truck. But it is an older model without any factory air ride system so I will say you will have a service light problem that could be fixed if it occurs. I did install a air bag system for when I carry very heavy loads. Mine is only a 3” lift and I really didn’t see any change in mileage. There can be quite a bit of labor involved depending on what kind of lift style you use. So depending on where you are that price could be fine and average for your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Man, losing nice factory air ride and 3 grand just to put slightly bigger tires on (and get worse mileage) just isn't worth it imo. It truly baffles me that 90% of the elite pros are running lifts to go from boat ramp to boat ramp.
    I know..... and guys that Spend 50k+ on a boat just to catch bass. Or spend 20-30k in electronics. Truly Baffling
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I know..... and guys that Spend 50k+ on a boat just to catch bass. Or spend 20-30k in electronics. Truly Baffling
    They don't take that 100K boat and throw a modification on it that makes it use more fuel, run slower, lose resale value and is purely for cosmetics.

I'm just saying for the OP who seems to be on the fence whether or not they want to keep the truck long term anyways, I would caution against lifting. Not only is it very expensive, but you lose the air ride and that will turn off a lot of buyers in the future if he decides to sell it later anyways.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I put leveling kits on both my last two trucks. No lift in the rear but level front to back. I did it to run slightly larger tires. Anyway, with it being level unloaded, if you put an weight in the bed (like my small 4 wheeler) or hook up the boat the rear will squat just enough to raise the headlights. Apparently, it looks like I have my high beams on because I get flashed constantly. I'll skip on the leveling kit from now on.
    So you’re the guy!!
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    They don't take that 100K boat and throw a modification on it that makes it use more fuel, run slower, lose resale value and is purely for cosmetics.

I'm just saying for the OP who seems to be on the fence whether or not they want to keep the truck long term anyways, I would caution against lifting. Not only is it very expensive, but you lose the air ride and that will turn off a lot of buyers in the future if he decides to sell it later anyways.
    Exactly, that's why I asked the op his reason for removing the air ride.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    When I would "level" my last couple trucks, I would put a 1" block on the rear to give it a little rack.... so when towing my boat it would be level...
    2021 Vexus AVX2080
    Sapphire Blue
    Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Garmin Force
    Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv (2)
    Garmin LV34
    Ionic 125/100 lithium batteries

20. Member
    Appreciate the insight.

As for why I'd remove the air ride........told it was necessary.

Again, not to knowledgeable on this. That is why I came to the experts at BBC!

I may just say piss on it and just do the brakes and rotors. May be throw a topper on so I can set the bed up for dog training and bird hunting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast