Thread: Metal Works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metal Works

Who work with metal on a daily term .His a friend working on trailer. Has to cut the floor out,which is metal. No problem.
    But drilling thru the 1/4 inch angle iron is job to install the new boards.
    He install marker lights and tail lights.
    Went thru some of them HF and Lowes bits in a hurry.
    What are some decent bits brands ,that want break the bank and where can a person ,pick up some?
    Thx

2. Member
    What size holes are you drilling and how many.

3. Member
    In building trailers with wood floors they use self drilling/tapping screws. I don't know what they drive them in with, but has to be something stout. Couple years ago when I got a new 22ft, I took the boards off to stain both sides. There was metal shavings under the boards where every screw drilled through the angle iron.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    What size holes are you drilling and how many.
    Think about 1/4 inch .
    Trailer 13' 4" . So around 12 bolts per board?

5. Member
    Cobalt will do good but you need to keep a lot of pressure on the bit and don't run it at a very high speed unless running some type of coolant/lubricant. Carbide is best but a little more expensive and can chip easy if not used properly used.

6. Member
    Maybe something like these, I have a Drill Doctor sharpener that has paid for itself over time, can make bits better than new. https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Nitr...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

7. Member
    If there is a Fastenal close, make a trip to get some black and gold bits. Ditto on the Drill Doctor.

8. Member
    When putting boards down lay them all out then weld a piece of angle across the front and back to hold them down no screws needed ,just run some small 1" beads so when changing boards you can just grind your weld off and remove angle iron

9. Member
    Short answer: Bosch hss on Amazon

* use actual tap magic/cutting oil
    * use pilot drills and drill slow to slowish. Faster isn’t better with steel usually

We use Applied MSS industrial at work, not sure who makes their bits but they are awesome. USA made. They supply sets of bits that are mini step bits that do not require a pilot drill, so very convenient and fast in my maintenance world. That doesn’t really help you as I don’t know cos and not sure if they are available outside of industrial markets.

For something quick I’d look at Bosch brand hss bits on Amazon, inexpensive and good quality. A drill dr is fine but if you have a steady hand you can put a better edge using a bench grinder. For steel and hard to drill materials I like to put a 135 degree edge on my bits. I had to drill out a broken hss drill bit once and did it by using my own edge and an air drill (key tool) and slowwww, with cutting oil and pressure.

10. Member
    This will help keep any bit cooler and sharp while drilling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Member
    Would hate to guess how many deck screws I had to put in when I was younger. But if I remember it was a 7/32 bit and some of the best were from Lawson. Lately I have been using drills made by Brute from alma bolt company. Quit using cobalt as they would often break and we hard to sharpen. Fun times. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    I’ve been to the ABU trailer manufacturing plant many times, they use self tapping trailer screws with a quick gun.

13. Member

14. Member
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

15. Member
    Self tapping

16. Member
    Large self taping screws will work but you need a fast and strong drill or gun with a lot of downward pressure or you will be flustered before you get done! 1/4 is pretty thick so it will go easier if you make a starter hole with a bit. Just a few sizes down. Drill starter holes slowly with pressure. Pour some oil in a container you can dip bit in often. Good luck

17. Member
    1/4" self drilling is what I have on my car hauler trailer with 2x10 planks.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    These work great no drilling needed though the metal. I always drill a clearance hole though the board.

19. Member
    This. Same way semi trailers are made.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast