Places to stay around Wheeler?

My son is wanting to go fish here for his birthday this year. Starting to look for places to stay. Any suggestions? Fish camps or cabins are fine. Would like somewhere I can plug in boat at night and a decent area to park. You guys know what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    The Joe Wheeler state park cabins are located at the dam and also in First Creek!
    https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wh...te-park/cabins

Some of the State Park stuff in First Creek is really nice.

4. Member
    Wheeler is a great spot for fishing. For places to stay, there are a few options. Check out the local fish camps or cabins in the area. Look for ones that offer boat parking and electric hookups.

5. Moderator
    Thanks guys. We found a vrbo house that is right on the water and has a dock and supposedly it's own small ramp. He is pumped. Any general info about fishing would be appreciated. We will be there 4/11-4/14. I assume it will be late spawn type patterns.

The water temp is just now bumping 60°. I look for it to be in the low to mid 60's by the time you come down to fish. We have a cold front coming in next week where the highs will only be in the 50's compared to the 70 degree temps we've been having. Fish will still in pre-spawn and early spawning stages is my guess. Heck, I've caught bass in early May that still hadn't spawned. Good luck to you and your son!

7. Moderator
    Thank you for the info. Sounds like it will be just about the same as we have here right now. Surface temps are 57-62 and not much going on up shallow yet.

8. Moderator
    Getting excited. Hoping he weather holds out for this weekend. Looks like rain on Thursday but partly cloudy the remainder of the week. Should hit it just about right.

9. Moderator
    So far pretty much post front suck Wind caught me off guard today and had to cross back to our house in some gnarly waves and got drenched. Underestimated the amount of waves the wind would whip up across the river.

How was fishing Saturday? Some people are surprised how rough the Tennessee River can get when the wind is blowing and the current is flowing. Stay safe.

11. Moderator
    Managed a few yesterday with some white bass. Caught a couple decent 1.5-2#ers this morning and are packing up. Not great but overall had a good time. Beautiful lake and area. You are correct. I totally underestimated how bad it could get out there. Was not a good situation trying to make it back across the lake but a good story to tell now.